1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 69

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Straight and Narrow (7.4)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Straight and Narrow (7.4). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/15/1986
Nothing comes between sisters when a former call girl hires a reluctant Magnum to find her missing sibling.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ah, more fun and games with our friend Candy Clark, I mean Leslie "Scooter" Emory! When I think of the 80s and MPI, I think of Candy Clark ... with that hair ... and those clothes!

This is really a fun and amusing episode, with lots humorous little moments - Magnum hobbling around on his bum ankle, Leslie jumping on people (no pun intended), Magnum breaking Robin's ancient walking stick, and just Magnum/Leslie's banter in general is hilarious.

Love the "Beach Bar" brawl! How often do you see that? T.C. kicked some major a$$!

I also really liked how Magnum, for the second episode in a row, made it a point to mention to people that he is tired of "playing games". "Just ask me", "be direct". It's clear that after six years, he is just plain tired of "playing games" with people! Of course, we all know this won't last long! ;)

"Zombie Magnum"

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

And actually, Rick kicked some too (to some extent).

Instead of being "kicked"

Funny though, you never see Magnum on the ground after he's knocked out....

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#4 Post by IslandHopper »

While training for the relay race, Magnum, sprains his right ankle. After the brawl at the KKC, Leslie drives Magnum home in the Ferrari because, as she said while in the guest house that, Magnum couldn’t drive because he couldn’t work the clutch. Leslie then drives Magnum to Cleo’s because of his severely sprained right ankle. Magnum later tells Leslie to take the Ferrari (to work) and he will take the Audi because it is an automatic (no clutch). The flub is the fact that Magnum sprained his right ankle, not his left, so why would he have a problem working the clutch if his left ankle is not the injured ankle? You use your left foot on the clutch, not your right foot. :?

Speaking of the brawl at the KKC, I was surprised that Magnum was knocked out cold by one punch. I know he was sucker punched, but when has Magnum ever been knocked cold from one punch to the face? I realize part of the realism associated with Magnum is that he doesn't win every fight, but I don't ever recall him being knocked cold from one punch. :? He has been knocked cold from knocks to the back of the head as in "Billy Joe Bob" (season 2) and "Dead Man's Channel" (season 2). Maybe this was a sign that he was getting older and the show was coming to a close.

Someone at MPI has a definite sense of humor. While at Cleo’s apartment, Cleo gives Magnum her business card and tells him to call her sometime. The camera cuts to a close-up of the card and it has her name (Cleo) in large script letters with a small heart just below. Then the card says “your place or mine” and the bottom of the card shows the phone number, which is: (808) 555-6969. :shock: :lol:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote:Someone at MPI has a definite sense of humor. While at Cleo’s apartment, Cleo gives Magnum her business card and tells him to call her sometime. The camera cuts to a close-up of the card and it has her name (Cleo) in large script letters with a small heart just below. Then the card says “your place or mine” and the bottom of the card shows the phone number, which is: (808) 555-6969. :shock: :lol:
:shock:

LOL!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

Does anyone happen to know where the Track scenes were filmed?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

Kaiser High School of course. :D

(edit) - Interestingly, the wiki page says that famous alumni include baseball player Sid Fernandez and sumo wrestler Akebono.

(edit again) - It was also the location of the track and grounds used in 2.4 - From Moscow to Maui.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#8 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks for posting that RC. I was on Oahu about 6 years ago. I saw many of the places I visited, even my friends condo in Hawaii Kai.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks rubber chicken!

Herman
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Higgins timeline addition

#10 Post by Herman »

When Magnum asks Higgins for advice on treating his sprained ankle, Higgins recalls a time on Lizard Island (off the coast of Australia) when a young Kanaka (Polynesian) boy fell down a river embankment straight into the mouth of a waiting crocodile. After killing the croc with a single well-placed shot, Higgins improvised a poultice for the boy's wounded leg consisting of a mix of local herbs and river-bed clay, which effected a miracle cure. (No time mentioned.)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Herman! I totally missed this one. This must be Higgins' idea of a vacation. A little R&R on Lizard Island! :shock:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins talks about the time when Magnum "unleashed a python" at a Robin Masters dinner party in an attempt to cause an unnamed female guest to faint. It worked. :shock:

Man, I would love to hear the full story behind that one! Makes for a great fan fiction premise.

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by MyGod! »

Good episode! Did anyone notice the very, very attractive African-American "rug cleaner" in the scene where TM goes into the business? Wow!! TM certainly notices her.
I must admit, Leslie is perhaps my least favorite recurring character on the show. Her voice is grating, poor acting, and while her clothes have archaelogical merit due to their 80's ridiculousness, they are so bad! Check out her earrings!
Ohterwise, great show.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#14 Post by Italian Ice »

Just watched this episode for the first time, never saw this one before. A solid episode.

I was wondering though. The Island Breeze Warehouse? Was that the same warehouse used in Limbo and Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts? It looks the same to me the way the boxes and lumber are laid out.......
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

It's also the walls, but there is a lot more clutter and I don't see an office upstairs. But the sliding doors look exactly the same as well as the brick walls in between with the markings etc.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "