6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 86

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:The plot involves Jean Claude being poisoned, leading the other tecs and p.i.s to clamour to solve the case for themselves. But why did it have to be Jean Claude – why couldn’t Katsumoto be killed instead?! (Get the feeling that I don’t like that character at all?)
LMAO!!

You REALLY don't like Det. Gordon "The Duke" Katsumoto, do you! :)
Jay-Firestorm wrote:Talking of Rockford, it is rumoured that James Garner had been pencilled in to make a cameo as Jim Rockford in this episode, but a dispute with Universal at the time resulted in Garner to set foot on set, and so the idea was dropped, which is a real shame.
That would have been AWESOME!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

James J. Walters wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:The plot involves Jean Claude being poisoned, leading the other tecs and p.i.s to clamour to solve the case for themselves. But why did it have to be Jean Claude – why couldn’t Katsumoto be killed instead?! (Get the feeling that I don’t like that character at all?)
LMAO!!

You REALLY don't like Det. Gordon "The Duke" Katsumoto, do you! :)
Whatever gave you that idea?! :lol: :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Anyway, the main thrust of the episode is that a number of detective and private investigator characters seen in previous episodes make a return appearance here: .... and Tracy Spencer, from the third season’s ‘Legacy From a Friend’.
When Carol tells Maqnum that the mystery car had been rented to a woman, a Tracy Spencer, it somehow slipped my mind that that was Annie Potts's character, and I told Hubby, "That's an obvious alias." Did her previous episode make any mention of her name being a switch on "Spencer Tracy"?
Carol

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by steveadl »

Watched this episode last night. Thought it was a great, really fun story line and good to see past recurring characters. Luther Gillis really cracked me up in this one. Though to me, the black and white 40's (?) Magnum flashbacks seemed a little odd and out of place - they didn't really get a story going, and just the one scene at the beginning then the short one with him painting his name on the door later. Or perhaps I just didn't 'get it'? :oops:

The last scene where all 5 of them (excl. Magnum) are in the hospital beds in various degrees of injury is a homage/send up of the ending scene in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" (1963)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/) - quite a funny movie, and the last scene ends up with them all in hospital beds, and in a similar motion to Higgins and Carol going through in the Magnum episode - revealing each injured person one at a time. Can't find any screen grabs of the movie, but anyone who's seen it would have to agree?

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

It's been a few weeks since I saw this episode, but I don't think the black-and-white bits are intended as actual flashbacks. It's my impression that they're Magnum's dreams (or daydreams), related to his feelings of finally being recognized as a "real" private investigator by receiving the AAPI award.
Carol

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by steveadl »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:It's been a few weeks since I saw this episode, but I don't think the black-and-white bits are intended as actual flashbacks. It's my impression that they're Magnum's dreams (or daydreams), related to his feelings of finally being recognized as a "real" private investigator by receiving the AAPI award.
You're right Carol, I mispoke. Not flashbacks, day dreams. You do raise a good point though, that's probably the meaning behind them. To me they did still feel a little out of place though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

steveadl wrote:The last scene where all 5 of them (excl. Magnum) are in the hospital beds in various degrees of injury is a homage/send up of the ending scene in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" (1963)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/) - quite a funny movie, and the last scene ends up with them all in hospital beds, and in a similar motion to Higgins and Carol going through in the Magnum episode - revealing each injured person one at a time. Can't find any screen grabs of the movie, but anyone who's seen it would have to agree?
Great observation steveadl!

Just watched the ending on YouTube; the ending in "A.A.P.I.' clearly is inspired by it, so much so that it surely can't be a coincidence (although in the movie, the characters spend quite a bit of time lamenting about their injuries and the adventure they were just on). I wonder if Magnum dropping his award is supposed to be an off-hand reference to the nurse slipping on a banana peel in the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQss3AO7d0w (starting at the 4:04 mark)

Screenwriter Reuben Leder must be a fan of the movie, as "The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u" (also written by Leder) also has some similarities to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

A John D. MacDonald novel is seen on Magnum's hotel room nightstand!

Unfortunately, you can't quite make out the title. MacDonald is one of the greatest mystery/crime thriller writers of all-time, and a personal favorite of mine. Nice little touch there. Christie, Chandler, now MacDonald! :)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Frodoleader »

A great touch in this one was during the awards presentation, they had three actors dressed like Columbo, Kojak and the Karl Malden character from Streets of San Francisco, sitting in the crowd. This is especially ironic considering the recent passing of Peter Falk.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Fairly decent episode...getting almost all the past recurring guest-stars (especially the detective ones) together, to try and find out who killed Jean Claude. Too bad he died in this, though. :(

Fairly humorous version of an Agatha Christie style story. Not a favorite or memorable one...but still somewhat entertaining as well.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by miltontheripper »

J.J. Walters wrote:LOL Jean-Claude! :lol:

This one is a thoroughly enjoyable, light-hearted, fun-filled episode. I love how they bring back all of these memorable recurring characters in the same episode - Luther Gillis, Tracy Spenser, Det. Katsumoto, Jean-Claude, even our friends Carol, Tanaka and Doc Ibold are in here. And I love the film noir-ish dream sequences (complete with more references and "tie-ins" to The Maltese Falcon).

I also love how almost everyone (except Magnum) winds up in the hospital at the end. Too funny.:shock:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Love the recurring characters, especially Luther who was ridiculous and very entertaining in this episode. I like these light hearted epsidode's, very fun to watch and a nice contrast to some of the darker, more serious ones. This one was never one I cared for much in the past and it's probably only the third time I have watched it but I've really grown to like it a lot. I liked the Agatha Christie "who done it" type of mystery with the majority of the episode taking place in one setting. I think the supporting cast and recurring characters were one of the highlights of the show and bringing them all together made for a great episode.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#22 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

If you look at the name tag on the Kojak lookalike, it reads "Telly Savalas".

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaximRecoil »

Did anyone read the text when they showed the closeup of Jean-Claude's notepad? At the end it said:

"This could put us very close to a big bust. About a 42D. That's a big bust isn't it?"

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Autumn Warrior »

I laughed out loud at several of Luther's lines, including his proclamation over Jean Claude: "Oh, gee, he croaked!"
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: A.A.P.I. (7.5)

#25 Post by Doc Fred »

This was fun to watch... and agree with all who liked the old characters showing up.

I was unhappy, though, with the idea that Magnum wasn't getting his award... Seems to me that he should have gotten the award regardless of what happened at the dinner; he earned it. And, at the end, when the nurse opened the door, even if the glass broke, he could always have another one made... Too much was made of, and by all the characters, about Mag not getting the actual trophy; he DID get the award.

I think Clyde was great as the John Wayne cop... Luther was his normal enjoyable self... Carol didn't do too well in how she showed grief for Fournier.... Tracy is likable, but a royal pain...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...