6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 86

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by steveadl »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:It's been a few weeks since I saw this episode, but I don't think the black-and-white bits are intended as actual flashbacks. It's my impression that they're Magnum's dreams (or daydreams), related to his feelings of finally being recognized as a "real" private investigator by receiving the AAPI award.
You're right Carol, I mispoke. Not flashbacks, day dreams. You do raise a good point though, that's probably the meaning behind them. To me they did still feel a little out of place though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

steveadl wrote:The last scene where all 5 of them (excl. Magnum) are in the hospital beds in various degrees of injury is a homage/send up of the ending scene in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" (1963)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/) - quite a funny movie, and the last scene ends up with them all in hospital beds, and in a similar motion to Higgins and Carol going through in the Magnum episode - revealing each injured person one at a time. Can't find any screen grabs of the movie, but anyone who's seen it would have to agree?
Great observation steveadl!

Just watched the ending on YouTube; the ending in "A.A.P.I.' clearly is inspired by it, so much so that it surely can't be a coincidence (although in the movie, the characters spend quite a bit of time lamenting about their injuries and the adventure they were just on). I wonder if Magnum dropping his award is supposed to be an off-hand reference to the nurse slipping on a banana peel in the movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQss3AO7d0w (starting at the 4:04 mark)

Screenwriter Reuben Leder must be a fan of the movie, as "The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u" (also written by Leder) also has some similarities to It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

A John D. MacDonald novel is seen on Magnum's hotel room nightstand!

Unfortunately, you can't quite make out the title. MacDonald is one of the greatest mystery/crime thriller writers of all-time, and a personal favorite of mine. Nice little touch there. Christie, Chandler, now MacDonald! :)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Frodoleader »

A great touch in this one was during the awards presentation, they had three actors dressed like Columbo, Kojak and the Karl Malden character from Streets of San Francisco, sitting in the crowd. This is especially ironic considering the recent passing of Peter Falk.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Fairly decent episode...getting almost all the past recurring guest-stars (especially the detective ones) together, to try and find out who killed Jean Claude. Too bad he died in this, though. :(

Fairly humorous version of an Agatha Christie style story. Not a favorite or memorable one...but still somewhat entertaining as well.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by miltontheripper »

J.J. Walters wrote:LOL Jean-Claude! :lol:

This one is a thoroughly enjoyable, light-hearted, fun-filled episode. I love how they bring back all of these memorable recurring characters in the same episode - Luther Gillis, Tracy Spenser, Det. Katsumoto, Jean-Claude, even our friends Carol, Tanaka and Doc Ibold are in here. And I love the film noir-ish dream sequences (complete with more references and "tie-ins" to The Maltese Falcon).

I also love how almost everyone (except Magnum) winds up in the hospital at the end. Too funny.:shock:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Love the recurring characters, especially Luther who was ridiculous and very entertaining in this episode. I like these light hearted epsidode's, very fun to watch and a nice contrast to some of the darker, more serious ones. This one was never one I cared for much in the past and it's probably only the third time I have watched it but I've really grown to like it a lot. I liked the Agatha Christie "who done it" type of mystery with the majority of the episode taking place in one setting. I think the supporting cast and recurring characters were one of the highlights of the show and bringing them all together made for a great episode.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#22 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

If you look at the name tag on the Kojak lookalike, it reads "Telly Savalas".

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MaximRecoil »

Did anyone read the text when they showed the closeup of Jean-Claude's notepad? At the end it said:

"This could put us very close to a big bust. About a 42D. That's a big bust isn't it?"

Autumn Warrior
Lieutenant

#24 Post by Autumn Warrior »

I laughed out loud at several of Luther's lines, including his proclamation over Jean Claude: "Oh, gee, he croaked!"
TM: Well, it's not that we're old; it's just that we're not young anymore.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: A.A.P.I. (7.5)

#25 Post by Doc Fred »

This was fun to watch... and agree with all who liked the old characters showing up.

I was unhappy, though, with the idea that Magnum wasn't getting his award... Seems to me that he should have gotten the award regardless of what happened at the dinner; he earned it. And, at the end, when the nurse opened the door, even if the glass broke, he could always have another one made... Too much was made of, and by all the characters, about Mag not getting the actual trophy; he DID get the award.

I think Clyde was great as the John Wayne cop... Luther was his normal enjoyable self... Carol didn't do too well in how she showed grief for Fournier.... Tracy is likable, but a royal pain...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#26 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Quote of the episode: "Lemon?" "No, it was a pretty good car"

A couple of sartorial notes:

1) During the amusing encounter between Luther Gillis and "John Wayne" outside Fournier's hotel room, they are both wearing identical boat shoes

2) Like TC, Luther Gillis seems to be fond of wearing both suspenders and a belt at the same time

I agree that Carol's reaction to Fournier's death was underwhelming. If I'm not mistaken they were supposed to be in a relationship at the time (although I'm not sure how that would have worked with him in Marseille and her in Oahu, but anyway), yet instead of being devastated she seems to react as if he was just a passing acquaintance.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#27 Post by marlboro »

"...Gunsel, did you see the sunrise?"

This was the first episode i watched from season 7. I'm a fan of the earlier Luther Gillis episodes, so I was looking forward to this one. I was kind of disappointed though. This one didn't have nearly as many laugh out loud moments as the previous Gillis episodes.

"Lemon?" "No, it was a pretty good car" and "Oh, gee, he croaked!" were both good lines though.

On the negative side - Det. John Wayne is back. I'm sure there were millions of fans clamoring for that. :roll: I was hoping the Chief from "I Never Wanted to Go to France, Anyway" would pop up and tomahawk him at some random moment.

On the plus side:

Annie Potts is here to kick ass and find clues - and she's all out of ass.

I don't know why, but she is one of my favorite Magnum sidekicks. She's very likable and is able to play annoying characters who don't actually annoy the audience. She's the anti-Cassie Yates.

That pic is from Corvette Summer, by the way. Coincidentally, it also featured Eugene Roche.
Last edited by marlboro on Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Corvette Summer, ah the memories. ;)

Sinjin
Lieutenant

#29 Post by Sinjin »

Luther Gillis had me rolling in this funny episode revolving around an awards banquet, a murder, and the investigation of an international drug smuggling ring. Eugene Roche had some great lines and he delivered them to perfection with his over-the-top character Luther. "Everytime I came to Bananaland on a case..." "Speaking of the word 'cracked,' it reminds me of the time my little brother thought he was a chicken..." "Oh gee, he croaked!" "illegal peanut butter" "the banana train stops here" "Lemon?" He chewed up every scene he was in.

Annie Potts was very cute and quirky, as usual, reprising her role as wannabe detective Tracey Spencer.

The Maltese Falcon parody was great, especially seeing Elisha Cook, Jr. reprise his role as Wilmer. Magnum playing Sam Spade reminded me of Steve Martin in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083798/?ref_=nv_sr_1), one of my all time favorite comedies. The B&W sequence fits in perfectly to show us how Magnum sees himself as Sam Spade, his alter ego, daydreaming as he is about to receive an award (not that it's important) at this banquet. He tries to deny it, but the award is important. I loved the It's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World parody. And the very end, when Magnum gets to enjoy his award... for a moment.

This episode vaguely reminded me of 1935's Charlie Chan in Shanghai (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026199/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). Their are superficial similarities in the plot: In both there is an early scene at a banquet where the Hawaii-based sleuth is being awarded for his accomplishments by an audience of peers; in both a murder takes place during the awards banquet; in both the murdered victim is a prominent law enforcement official who was investigating an international drug smuggling ring; in both there is a distraught woman to whom the detective is sympathetic who implores him to investigate; in both there is an assistant to the detective who goes undercover; in both the murderer turns out to be a crooked detective involved in international drug smuggling. It could be pure coincidence, but on a superficial level the parallels are surprising.

There is so much to like about this fun, funny episode, a tip-of-the-fedora to film noirs and whodunnits. I thought it was Excellent (9.0/10).

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#30 Post by Pahonu »

Sinjin wrote:Luther Gillis had me rolling in this funny episode revolving around an awards banquet, a murder, and the investigation of an international drug smuggling ring. Eugene Roche had some great lines and he delivered them to perfection with his over-the-top character Luther. "Everytime I came to Bananaland on a case..." "Speaking of the word 'cracked,' it reminds me of the time my little brother thought he was a chicken..." "Oh gee, he croaked!" "illegal peanut butter" "the banana train stops here" "Lemon?" He chewed up every scene he was in.

Annie Potts was very cute and quirky, as usual, reprising her role as wannabe detective Tracey Spencer.

The Maltese Falcon parody was great, especially seeing Elisha Cook, Jr. reprise his role as Wilmer. Magnum playing Sam Spade reminded me of Steve Martin in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083798/?ref_=nv_sr_1), one of my all time favorite comedies. The B&W sequence fits in perfectly to show us how Magnum sees himself as Sam Spade, his alter ego, daydreaming as he is about to receive an award (not that it's important) at this banquet. He tries to deny it, but the award is important. I loved the It's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World parody. And the very end, when Magnum gets to enjoy his award... for a moment.

This episode vaguely reminded me of 1935's Charlie Chan in Shanghai (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026199/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). Their are superficial similarities in the plot: In both there is an early scene at a banquet where the Hawaii-based sleuth is being awarded for his accomplishments by an audience of peers; in both a murder takes place during the awards banquet; in both the murdered victim is a prominent law enforcement official who was investigating an international drug smuggling ring; in both there is a distraught woman to whom the detective is sympathetic who implores him to investigate; in both there is an assistant to the detective who goes undercover; in both the murderer turns out to be a crooked detective involved in international drug smuggling. It could be pure coincidence, but on a superficial level the parallels are surprising.

There is so much to like about this fun, funny episode, a tip-of-the-fedora to film noirs and whodunnits. I thought it was Excellent (9.0/10).
Interesting connections. I've read quite a bit of Dash Hammett, and seen several of the movies, but know very little about Charlie Chan.

Did you pick your username for Sinjin Smith? I know he was in Magnum, but I also noticed you're in Seal Beach and thought you might be a beach volleyball fan. I saw him play a few times in the 80's at Hermosa Beach.

I'm right nextdoor in Long Beach on Alamitos Bay. Welcome to the forum.