1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 150

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Death and Taxes (7.6)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Death and Taxes (7.6). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/29/1986
A crazed killer with unnerving information on Magnum's time in Vietnam communicates his fiedish plans through nursery rhymes.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolo99
Ensign

#2 Post by lolo99 »

I loved the music when Magnum was looking for for the girl's dead body in container. It was kinda weird for a series, never heard anything like that in past episodes.
Anyone know how it's called? Or maybe you have it?!

Cheers

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hi Lolo,

I believe the song in question is "Mama" by Genesis.

I also want to say this is one of the first non "stock" versions of (then) contemporary songs.

Hopefully they include it on the upcoming Season 7 DVD release!

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by Loach »

Doc, you are correct. It is "Mama" by Genesis. This is the perfect song for this episode, with its heavy drum beat and strange sounding voice used by Phil Collins.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the episode I am most looking forward to from Season 7. I havn't seen this since the original broadcast. I remember being totally blown away when it aired. As a Genesis fan, I was stunned by the inclusion of "Mama"! Rare for the time. Great episode!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Loach
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#6 Post by Loach »

James, this seems to be the episode I catch when I have to stay at home with the kids when they're sick. This is one of my all time favorite episodes, so I too am looking forward to Season 7 on DVD! 8)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Steve »

I agree with you all on this episode, one of my all time favorites.When I heard "Mama" while Magnum was searching for the body I thought wow, this is one of the most incredible scenes ever from the series and what a great use of music and editing, brilliant!. Tom Selleck took the series to the next level with this one.......

Steve
Chicago

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by lutherhgillis »

I received my DVD for season 7 yesterday and watched Death and Taxes this morning. What a great episode! You can tell by the tone of the episode that we're in the 'Magnum is growing up' phase of the show. That aside, this one keeps you guessing. The madman has a team ring and knows about Le Boule (from pilot episodes). I love the way he used riddles to taunt Magnum. Laura and the bottle of wine from Fragments get a mention. A nice bit of investigation work in this one. I love how Magnum ditches the police by borrowing the pizza delivery truck...

All of this episode was set around Magnum trying to get his taxes done before the 4th of July so he could be alone for his annual surf ski ride in remembrance of his father. One of the best episodes...

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

I also liked the fact that Magnum himself adressed the fact that there were several unanswered questions, like how the Ripper knew about the whole Le Bull thing.

It was pretty much the writers saying "Yes we have these plot threads open, but you'll never find out why"

Sweet episode!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

You guys are killin' me! You're sitting there writing Season Seven episode reviews and I got nothing, nothing but an email that says my order is somewhere out there on the great highways of America. ;)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

James, that's why I'm not a huge fan of Amazon for crucial moments like these...

I'm sure it will get to you soon.

I predict......

TONIGHT!

If not, let me know and I'll get a sock of quarters and cruise out to Amazon HQ...

:wink:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by lutherhgillis »

I hear a lot of people criticize Amazon but I have never had a problem with them. Not once. It may depend on where you live. I live in a major metro area.

Anyway, hang in there James.

I like the opening of Death and Taxes where Rick, TC, and Magnum are coming from the front of the boathouse. Its rare to see the front of it. It's also good to see the War Memorial park again. I can't help but picture that fat guy from Thank Heavens... try to climb over the fence while carrying the Gaugan from season 1...

LHG

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

Oh, I don't have a problem with Amazon in general and I actually use them a bit.

However, since I've been chomping at the bit to get this for months, I wasn't going to take any chances and paid the extra $5 at Best Buy the day it came out.

And let me say, it was worth it.

I've loved every single episode on here thus far, with the exception of "Out of Sync", which was kinda "blah" for me, considering how it all turned out.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, I wasn't trying bash Amazon (I'm still technically within the 3-5 day delivery window). I never have a "problem" with them, really. I was just interjecting a little light-hearted, "I'm jealous", banter. ;)

Amazon keeps offering me 35% off on these DVDs, so It's hard not to go with them.

[patiently waiting]

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#15 Post by IslandHopper »

James J. Walters wrote:You guys are killin' me! You're sitting there writing Season Seven episode reviews and I got nothing, nothing but an email that says my order is somewhere out there on the great highways of America. ;)
That's one of the reasons I buy each season at a retail outlet like Wal-Mart or Best Buy. The other reason is that each new season has included a $3.00 off coupon for the following season, and I haven't found a way to use the coupon if you buy on-line. Unfortunately, the season 7 episodes I just purchased did not include a coupon for season 8. :(
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)