1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 150

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

Re: Death and Taxes (7.6)

#91 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

Who is the more formidable antagonist in this episode, the Ripper or the IRS?

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by Milton Collins »

A wise old owl lived in an oak,
the more he saw the less he spoke,
the less he spoke the more he heard,
why cant we all be like that wise old bird!

A poem by Milton Collins

Sperry
Lieutenant

#93 Post by Sperry »

One of my favourite and memorable episodes. Like so many have mentioned on this thread, the dumpster scene to Genesis 'mama' is truly epic.
It is a particularly gritty and dark episode but as usual there is a moment of hilarity..the scene when Thomas appears driving the pizza delivery van. comical !!

I have heard it said that this episode was a nod to Miami Vice. With regards to the pacing, editing and general atmosphere, I would agree there is some similarity.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by KingKC »

Boy, for intensity this episode was it. It bordered on frightening. I don't really care much for the dark and pure violence depicted but objectively speaking this was a top notch episode. A lot of members compare this episode in some ways to Laura but the violence here was by the bad guy, not the good guy seeking justice, even though Sinatra/Doheny was intending to administer street justice and may or may not actually have. It is not out of the realm of possibility that a sociopath would taunt TM. Think Zodiac and the taunting of his cryptic letters to the newspapers and/or police. I think that added to the suspense and mystery. Almost a top ten but not a favorite due to the sick violence. I know it isn't real but I still don't really care much for it.

KingKC

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by MaximRecoil »

I hated Miami Vice, so I didn't like this episode either. Also, the killer had an incredibly annoying voice, annoying laugh, and annoying style of talking; not to mention he had an annoying face with an annoying gap between his teeth that the annoying camera man decided to constantly zoom in on. I didn't like his shoes either, but I guess the camera man did.

I'm not a fan of Phil Collins / Genesis, or music of that style in general. It sounded like something Stan Bush might have sung for an '80s Cannon Group movie soundtrack. All those '80s soundtrack singers/bands, e.g., Stan Bush, Kenny Loggins, Survivor, Frank Stallone, John Farnham, John Parr, Larry Greene, Mark Safan, Robert Tepper, and so on, had that same singing style, i.e., singing with "passion" (lol).

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by 308GUY »

MaximRecoil wrote:I hated Miami Vice, so I didn't like this episode either. Also, the killer had an incredibly annoying voice, annoying laugh, and annoying style of talking; not to mention he had an annoying face with an annoying gap between his teeth that the annoying camera man decided to constantly zoom in on. I didn't like his shoes either, but I guess the camera man did. (lol).
LOL! :lol:

I liked his car :D It was a Fiero.............which is what I make parts for in my "spare" time. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Milton Collins »

I hadn't watched a Magnum in months and got back into the swing of things with my all time favorite episode! Amazingly, the new girlfriend liked it as well:)

Tobi
Captain

#98 Post by Tobi »

Normally my favourite Magnum episodes involve the the guys, Higgins, a light plot, lots of Ferrari airtime, an attractive client, etc.

This episode has none of that but it stands out as one of the best anyhow. The use of music does give it a Miami Vice feeling. Interesting that others thought the same.

Great episode.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It's the 4th of July and I made it a Magnum 4th with "Home from the Sea" and this gem. A superb episode from beginning to end. I already wrote a review about 3 years back so I won't do it again. I'll just say that Ivan and the Ripper are the 2 most memorable villains the show ever had. Hence why those are my 2 favorite episodes.

Hope you all had a happy 4th!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by Milton Collins »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:It's the 4th of July and I made it a Magnum 4th with "Home from the Sea" and this gem. A superb episode from beginning to end. I already wrote a review about 3 years back so I won't do it again. I'll just say that Ivan and the Ripper are the 2 most memorable villains the show ever had. Hence why those are my 2 favorite episodes.

Hope you all had a happy 4th!

I so agree I absolutely loathed Ivan and he was very memorable along with Milton who was extremely creepy, yet had an almost comical way of talking and the silly rhymes and his appearance made me laugh too! But he was damn scary how violent and crazy he was yikes! My favorite all time episode just love it!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#101 Post by marlboro »

FWIW I think the top three memorable MPI villains are Ivan, Milton, and the blinking karate dude from China Doll.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#102 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

marlboro wrote:Image

FWIW I think the top three memorable MPI villains are Ivan, Milton, and the blinking karate dude from China Doll.
“It’s called Wing Chun”
Faith and Begorrah!

giant_albatross
Lieutenant Commander

#103 Post by giant_albatross »

MaximRecoil wrote:I hated Miami Vice, so I didn't like this episode either. Also, the killer had an incredibly annoying voice, annoying laugh, and annoying style of talking; not to mention he had an annoying face with an annoying gap between his teeth that the annoying camera man decided to constantly zoom in on. I didn't like his shoes either, but I guess the camera man did.

I'm not a fan of Phil Collins / Genesis, or music of that style in general. It sounded like something Stan Bush might have sung for an '80s Cannon Group movie soundtrack. All those '80s soundtrack singers/bands, e.g., Stan Bush, Kenny Loggins, Survivor, Frank Stallone, John Farnham, John Parr, Larry Greene, Mark Safan, Robert Tepper, and so on, had that same singing style, i.e., singing with "passion" (lol).
Wow, tell us how you really feel. :P

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

#104 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Anyone else wonder if Milton was a commentary on the obsessive Magnum P.I. fans (*cough*) that the cast and crew likely met whenever they went to events?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by K Hale »

Algernon Farnsworth wrote:Anyone else wonder if Milton was a commentary on the obsessive Magnum P.I. fans (*cough*) that the cast and crew likely met whenever they went to events?
There certainly are people like that. In Manetti's book, he talks about an incident where Selleck had to call the police because there was somebody on his roof -- I forget the details but it was pretty scary.

Had I seen any of them in public, I would have been 1000% too shy to even admit I recognized them, let alone stalk anyone. :roll:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!