1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Little Girl Who (7.7)

#51 Post by .45caliber »

Great episode, very touching. Brought tears several times, especially when Lilly runs back to Thomas at the end. Made me feel like a baby, but Lily is so cute and reminds me of my oldest daughter at that age. Feel horrible for TM and all that he has gone thru in his life with Michelle and now Lily.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re:

#52 Post by Dave Anderson »

J.J. Walters wrote:Chalk up another flub for James! ;)

It's been a looooooong time since I've seen Little Girl Who/Limbo/Unfinished Business.

Not quite sure why I questioned Higgins' comment about Michelle's "oriental heritage". It just surprised me. For some reason, I always had her pegged as all French. But of course, she could be of mixed descent. :oops:
I always viewed the character as based to some extent on Madame Nhu, former first lady of South Vietnam.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#53 Post by SignGuyHPW »

EZiller wrote:Regarding TSM's women-he has this incredible infatuation for Michelle, although she seems to manipulate him. Meanwhile, the lovely Maggie Poole, who is constantly going out on a limb for TSM, breaching top security items to help him, only seems to get cursory interest. Quite tacky of him to bring flowers [not even roses] as an apology for forgetting their dinner date, while all he really wants is information about Michelle, Hue and their present status.
This may have to do with their initial meetings. Maggie made it clear that she couldn't be manipulated the same way that Mac could with all of the gifts. Magnum didn't deny trying to use food to get Mac to give him the info he needed. I think if Magnum had always shown up with flowers or candy or whatever then it wouldn't have worked on Maggie. She was more about doing the right thing and helping Magnum when it seemed like the correct thing to do rather than thinking, "those flowers look really great... what could giving restricted info to a civillian really hurt?"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:Chalk up another flub for James! ;)
It's been a looooooong time since I've seen Little Girl Who/Limbo/Unfinished Business.
Not quite sure why I questioned Higgins' comment about Michelle's "oriental heritage". It just surprised me. For some reason, I always had her pegged as all French. But of course, she could be of mixed descent. :oops:
Greetings J.J.
Women of mixed racial background have historically been considered exotic or even 'forbidden fruit', as least thru the 20th century. For whatever reason more than one Vietnam vet has sworn to me that French/Vietnamese Eurasians are the most beautiful women in the world.
In the 19th century you had the French Creoles of New Orleans. The Creoles being of French European and African heritage, many becoming the most celebrated and sought after courtesans of the age.
In the deeply weird racial categorizing of the Old South, the most desirable were the "High Yellows" which if I recall correctly were people 1/4 African and 3/4 other. The Yellow Rose of Texas, the great beauty of the song, was a black 'high yellow' woman who General Santa Anna halted his army for, in order to dally with for a few days during his invasion of Texas. Combined with the time he used up besieging the Alamo, it was just enough to give Sam Houston the time he needed to organize his army.
By the way, my college age nephew handed - or attempted to - hand me my head for using the word Oriental, a word other posters in this thread have used as well.
His little PC heart just about stopped in horror.
He claims it is the same as using the "N" word.
This was news to me, as well as to my Vietnamese friend Hong, a ARVN vet.
I told my nephew it was a geographic term indicating where a given person was from, like "Iberian" for the Spanish or Portuguese. And just what panel of carefully chosen experts suddenly decreed it was a racist term, issuing fourth it's edict, that the common herd must obey.
He just knew he was told it was a bad word, and like most know-all enlightened youth everywhere he does what he's told.
But I digress.
This episode has got to be in the top ten Magnums, at least in my opinion.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed May 16, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

In regards to the word, its meaning also differed depending on who and where was using it. In the UK, it's historically meant India and its surrounding area. I don't think most people consider it as bad as the "N" word, but it's been used by white people and old advertising to stereotype (especially East) Asians, and in the age since independence from colonialism, there are probably more accurate terms nowadays to refer to the person, i.e. East Asian, their country, etc.. It's also a good way to avoid awkwardness concerning territorial and other disputes (i.e. mistaking a Taiwanese or Malaysian for Mainland Chinese), as a lot of these still have old wounds for people. That said, in a lot of Asia itself, they probably would be confused too as to why it's seen as offensive.

Higgins of course was stationed in a lot of colonies, so it's not surprising that that's the term he'd use. I joke with my mother occasionally for her using the word (she's Han Chinese from Beijing). She says she can use it of course, and her English was originally taught by British people during the era of Wade-Giles for transliterating Chinese.

In regards to Michelle and Lily, while they're relatively white-passing in the show's universe (In real life, Marta DuBois is Panamanian and Kristen Carreira is as far as I can tell White Hispanic), many Eurasians do look like them (such as yours truly). Nowadays, if they were casting, they'd much more likely go with actresses with actual Asian descent to avoid controversy.

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#56 Post by Big Kahuna »

Forgive me if this has already been discussed – I did have a quick look and couldn't see it – but why is Michelle still being chased by the Vietnamese? Especially since her husband is now dead...
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

My guess is, the people after her wanted to fully purge the people close to the General as well, fearing she might have information.

PickledEggPlease
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by PickledEggPlease »

Doing the described video (for people with low/no vision) for this episode now - can anyone make out what Lily says when she's looking at his ring (after he's tucked her in bed with the rubber chicken)? The first time it sounds like "Muh PC Thomas?", then "Ba ma wit tici Thomas". It's driving me nuts!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#59 Post by marlboro »

PickledEggPlease wrote:Doing the described video (for people with low/no vision) for this episode now - can anyone make out what Lily says when she's looking at his ring (after he's tucked her in bed with the rubber chicken)? The first time it sounds like "Muh PC Thomas?", then "Ba ma wit tici Thomas". It's driving me nuts!

I'm kind of curious myself. Is it possible she is saying "Rick, TC, Thomas"? A list of people who all wear the same ring.

PickledEggPlease
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#60 Post by PickledEggPlease »

I'm kind of curious myself. Is it possible she is saying "Rick, TC, Thomas"? A list of people who all wear the same ring.

Oh! I think you might be right! I think the first one is "Mama, TC, Thomas" and the second "Mama, Rick, TC, Thomas"!
THANK YOU! It was driving me nuts.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#61 Post by Tuan Vu »

Another great episode and ending! So heart-touching and sad, but wonderfully acted, even by the little girl:

https://vimeo.com/243481635

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Milton Collins »

I hadn't seen this one in years and really enjoyed it! It's really emotional for me and I thought there were a few highlights:

Michelle coming back after 5 years was awesome! I just love her character and feel so sad that she and Thomas can never be together, crushing as they obviously love each other!

Introducing Lilly Katherine and obviously pointing to the fact that she was Thomas' daughter given the time frame from season 2 Memories Are Forever is really cool to me.

Always like the Buck Greene/Maggie/Navy episodes so cool!

I was surprisingly a bit sad when General Hue was executed. I thought he showed a lot of character in Memories Are Forever and was obviously fighting for change in Viet Nam.

I love how TC and Rick and Higgins are all about jumping to TM's aid when they find out its about Michelle. I love how Higgins goes from ripping him in the beginning and then Magnum running off and then again and after coming back to the estate with Lilly but suddenly softening when he found out it involved Michelle.

Higgins directing the Mona Lisa just cracked me up too. I love all his committees and causes he's involved with.

It was also hilarious when he was doing the acting for Lilly and Magnum walked in and saw him and he pretending he dropped a coin. He has such a big heart but doesn't always show it!

The end with Michelle saying "Maybe in another time when the world is different" and then walking away with Lilly almost brings me to tears. It just KILLS me that they can't be together.

I saw some posts about Michelle's ethnicity and I definitely remember somewhere along the way it said that she was French and Asian. Regardless of what she is, she is one beautiful woman wow! I always have loved her and Thomas together, seems like they would fit as a couple in real life too!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by K Hale »

Great summary, agree 99%. Only disagreement I have is I've never really been a fan of Michelle, she kinda used Thomas.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

K Hale wrote:Great summary, agree 99%. Only disagreement I have is I've never really been a fan of Michelle, she kinda used Thomas.
Thanks K Hale! And you know what, I have had that thought too! Here was her ultimate opportunity to be with him (obviously they couldn't stay in Hawaii and would have to be relocated) and yet again, no dice! I almost feel like she toyed/used him and have had some frustration with her as well!

sandbiscuits
Captain

#65 Post by sandbiscuits »

Milton Collins wrote:
K Hale wrote:Great summary, agree 99%. Only disagreement I have is I've never really been a fan of Michelle, she kinda used Thomas.
Thanks K Hale! And you know what, I have had that thought too! Here was her ultimate opportunity to be with him (obviously they couldn't stay in Hawaii and would have to be relocated) and yet again, no dice! I almost feel like she toyed/used him and have had some frustration with her as well!
Milton, I agree with your summary, too. Well done!

I was never too bothered about Michelle "using" Magnum. He could have been more insistent, too. I think she was trying to look out for everyone in the best way she could. I was sad about seeing Magnum and Lily separated, though. To me, that was much more affecting.

Minor complaint about this episode: no TC or Rick! (I guess they appear secondhand briefly in conversation and photos, but I probably can't complain too much... this was all about Magnum.)