6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MACattack »

I think Michelle is even colder when she moves to France to marry a businessman ("Limbo"), while Magnum lays dying in a hospital bed.

What a scandalous ho.
I just don't give a damn!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

MPS wrote:Lily is "supposed" to be the child of Michelle and the general, right? Wouldn't he (the general) have noticed Lily's very western looks? Is he so head-over-heels in love with Michelle, that he just ignores it?
Michelle & Nguyen seemed to have a very close and trusting relationship (e.g., he knew about her "marriage" to Magnum), so she may very well have told him that Magnum was Lily's father.

Or Nguyen may have simply thought that Lily took after her mother. As someone said back a ways, some European/Asian people look very European. I once met a blond woman, a very typical-looking blond woman, who (her best friend later told me) was half Japanese.
Carol

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by steveadl »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Plus she has "Mall Hair"

:lol:
Yes, she didn't come off very well in this and later episodes. So much so I thought it was actually a different actress playing Michelle compared to the first seasons such as in the flashback to their wedding night before the bombs hit. She also appeared more 'asian' in the earlier years too (to me anyway).

Very touching episode though. Don't like the way Michelle treats TM, but thought the relationship he had/started with Lily was touching.

Cheers
Steve

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by MACattack »

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by steveadl »

A P Leyland wrote:Really good episode. The only bum note for me was the guy's death at the end when magnum shot him. The "hears an off-screen gunshot when a character is in the crosshairs, only for it to be another character shooting the bad guy" was a cliche 20 years ago and that in itself isn;t so bad but the actor's 'death' was just so awful. A small moment in an otherwise flawless episode but still.

Andy
Yes I always question these sort of scenes as well. The Vietnamese General had Michelle in his cross hairs, was literally 1 second away from pulling the trigger, but when he gets shot himself - he's just shocked and slowly collapses to the floor despite standing there for a good 4-5 seconds which would have been more than enough to simply pull the trigger which was his entire mission and reason for coming. Oh well. :roll:

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Love this one! Can we say tearjerker??? Can't believe how much I bawled while watching this episode.
I wonder how old Kristen Carreira really was when this episode was filmed? Her imdb page has no biography. She appeared to be the age of the character, but how did they get 5 or 6 year old to do her lines in French and Vietnamese? I liked that she seemed kind of babyish like a real 5 year old would be. Usually 5 yr olds on TV or in movies act and talk much older/smarter than real kids. One more thing that was a clue that Lily was Thomas's daughter was her middle name Catherine. That's TM's mother's name. Makes sense that Michelle would name her after her grandmother. I wish Thomas would have mentioned this when presenting his evidence to Higgins that she might be his daughter, but its a small quivel with an otherwise excellent episode.

I did think Michelle was a little cold here, but I'll chalk it up to the stressful situation she was in. Would have been nice to see them at least hug.

Also, Higgins was awesome in this one!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by AmandaByNight »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Love this one! Can we say tearjerker??? Can't believe how much I bawled while watching this episode.
I wonder how old Kristen Carreira really was when this episode was filmed? Her imdb page has no biography. She appeared to be the age of the character, but how did they get 5 or 6 year old to do her lines in French and Vietnamese? I liked that she seemed kind of babyish like a real 5 year old would be. Usually 5 yr olds on TV or in movies act and talk much older/smarter than real kids. One more thing that was a clue that Lily was Thomas's daughter was her middle name Catherine. That's TM's mother's name. Makes sense that Michelle would name her after her grandmother. I wish Thomas would have mentioned this when presenting his evidence to Higgins that she might be his daughter, but its a small quivel with an otherwise excellent episode.

I did think Michelle was a little cold here, but I'll chalk it up to the stressful situation she was in. Would have been nice to see them at least hug.

Also, Higgins was awesome in this one!
That's so interesting what you said about Lily's middle name! I never put those two together.

I love this one too, but it's been awhile since I've seen it. I've got to get off the keyster and revisit some of these episodes!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I'm guessing that "Lily" is/was Michelle's mother's name, so little Lily is named after her two grandmothers.

I'm also guessing that Kristen Carreira got the part (despite her evident lack of acting experience) because she was the right age and could already speak French. Perhaps she could also speak Vietnamese, though near as I recall, her use of that language was pretty much limited to "bup be" (or however that's spelt).
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by nha trang »

Good episode and obviously an important one as the series is concerned. Definitely kind of a downer Mag episode though...I guess they were trying to clear some things up due to it being season 7 and all.

All in all, good episode

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:I'm ... guessing that Kristen Carreira got the part ... because she ... could already speak French. Perhaps she could also speak Vietnamese, though near as I recall, her use of that language was pretty much limited to "bup be" (or however that's spelt).
Hey, I was pretty close! Before posting the above, I tried to get the official spelling by searching the Internet for <vietnamese doll>, and also tried Babel Fish, but with no luck. T'other day, I noticed that Google now has a translation service, with a WHOLE lot of languages available (just click on "Language tools" to the right of the regular search box), so just now I ran "doll" through their machinery, and it came up with "búp bê" -- now I know.
nha trang wrote:Good episode and obviously an important one as the series is concerned.
As Higgins would say, quite!
Carol

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#41 Post by miltontheripper »

What a sad episode!! It always has bothered me that Thomas and Michelle couldn't be together, it was so clear they were in love but it just never could work. I hadn't seen this one in a long time and liked it more than I had remembered. The end just kills me, when she says "I could stay with you" and then the awkward silence and pause. Just makes me feel so sad for TM. Overall a very good episode, and even though she continuously breaks TM's heart good to see Michelle again after a few year break.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#42 Post by Doc Fred »

SelleckLover wrote:I like this episode so much I bid on and won a script of it on eBay. It wasn't autographed or anything, but I still treasure it. It is interesting to read, because it wasn't the final script that they filmed for broadcast. It was fun to see how it differed from the way the episode was actually filmed. For instance, Lily's name was Leah in this script incarnation. With all that aside, I think this episode shows Magnum's "softer side", when called upon to take care of Lily.
You got a great script... one of the best of the entire series.

Yes, you see a Magnum that was hidden inside him, the paternal Magnum... It was clear he knew in his heart that Lily was his daughter... and Higgy basically said that, too.
Last edited by Doc Fred on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#43 Post by Doc Fred »

N1095A wrote:I just rewatched this episode. What a great well written and heart wrenching episode! At the end when Lilly runs back to TM, it kind of tore my heart out. I was a little PO'd when Michelle said "I could stay with you" or something like that, and they stare at each other for a moment, then say nothing, and she leaves anyway, makes me dislike her even more. She's Magnum's achiles heel, and she knows she has him by the "you know whats". What a user.
I have to disagree with you about Michelle.... I don't see her as using him at all, but rather hates not being able to be together with him.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by Doc Fred »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:One more thing that was a clue that Lily was Thomas's daughter was her middle name Catherine. That's TM's mother's name. Makes sense that Michelle would name her after her grandmother.
EXCELLENT observation! That makes a whole lot of sense to me.

And, I so agree with you about Higgy...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Little Girl Who (7.7)

#45 Post by Doc Fred »

Well, this one brought out lots and lots of emotion in me... The older I get, the more sentimental and emotional I get. Hey, I still have tears in my eyes from this episode.

Once again, Higgy shows great character and class, despite being so stuffy at times. The more I see of him, the more I respect him.

This is one of my all-time favorites.. I had to give it a 10.