1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 95

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Indeed grapeshot, indeed.

France has quite a history with Vietnam, and the French colonial forces were involved in the early stages of the Vietnam War.

I just had it in my head that she was French, all French. I now see that this image I had of her for twenty plus years was incorrect. She's Eurasian. And I'm cool with that.

;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GTS »

I agree with James, what a fantastic episode and truly heart rending towards the end. I always thought that Michelle had a slightly asian look about her too, her eyes and hair especially.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#13 Post by Shermy »

The rubber chicken really hit his stride in Season 7: From location shooting in L.A. to cheering up Lily to his heartbreaking work in Paper War. (Not to mention his reunion with Lily in Limbo!) I'm really surprised he was not included in some manner on the boxart.

I really like the scene where Magnum shares his suspicion (that Lily is his daughter) with Higgins. It ends with a very nice moment where Higgins compliments Magnum, albeit in his usual aloof manner. As he watches them together he offers, "She says her father's a very brave man. I believe she's right."

This scene also reveals that Lily had slept beside a loaded gun the previous night. I guess they really wanted to stress the fact that Magnum was unprepared to have a kid around the house! :shock: :lol:

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#14 Post by rubber chicken »

Shermy wrote:The rubber chicken really hit his stride in Season 7: From location shooting in L.A. to cheering up Lily to his heartbreaking work in Paper War. (Not to mention his reunion with Lily in Limbo!) I'm really surprised he was not included in some manner on the boxart.
Thank you so much Shermy, I've always thought this season was among my best work. I must admit a rubber chicken isn't the most suitable substitute for a young girls doll, but I did my utmost to make the best of an unexpected situation. :wink:

On the topic of Michelle, I don't remember all the show has said about her past but I've always pictured her coming from a long line of French colonialists in Vietnam. She doesn't look Asian enough for one of her parents to be 100% Vietnamese, but one of her grandmothers could have been. It's also possible that more of her ancestors could have been Vietnamese.

I wonder if it was common for French colonialists to take Vietnamese wives. I wouldn't think so actually.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:
Shermy wrote:The rubber chicken really hit his stride in Season 7: From location shooting in L.A. to cheering up Lily to his heartbreaking work in Paper War. (Not to mention his reunion with Lily in Limbo!) I'm really surprised he was not included in some manner on the boxart.
Thank you so much Shermy, I've always thought this season was among my best work. I must admit a rubber chicken isn't the most suitable substitute for a young girls doll, but I did my utmost to make the best of an unexpected situation. :wink:
LOL!! :D

That's two classic posts right there, back-to-back!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#16 Post by SelleckLover »

Woohoo! My son got me Season 7 for Christmas! This is the first episode I watched from it. (Last night) Every time I see this episode I bawl my eyes out at the end! I think this is one of my favorite episodes, dunno why. I just like it. I even have a script of it that I won on eBay. It was interesting to note the changes they made, and how it differed from the episode that actually aired. For example, Lily's name was Leah throughout the script. :D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

I just rewatched this episode. What a great well written and heart wrenching episode! At the end when Lilly runs back to TM, it kind of tore my heart out. I was a little PO'd when Michelle said "I could stay with you" or something like that, and they stare at each other for a moment, then say nothing, and she leaves anyway, makes me dislike her even more. She's Magnum's achiles heel, and she knows she has him by the "you know whats". What a user.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:I just rewatched this episode. What a great well written and heart wrenching episode! At the end when Lilly runs back to TM, it kind of tore my heart out. I was a little PO'd when Michelle said "I could stay with you" or something like that, and they stare at each other for a moment, then say nothing, and she leaves anyway, makes me dislike her even more. She's Magnum's achiles heel, and she knows she has him by the "you know whats". What a user.
Plus she has "Mall Hair"

:lol:

maggiepoole
Captain

#19 Post by maggiepoole »

Doc Ibold wrote:
N1095A wrote:I just rewatched this episode. What a great well written and heart wrenching episode! At the end when Lilly runs back to TM, it kind of tore my heart out. I was a little PO'd when Michelle said "I could stay with you" or something like that, and they stare at each other for a moment, then say nothing, and she leaves anyway, makes me dislike her even more. She's Magnum's achiles heel, and she knows she has him by the "you know whats". What a user.
Plus she has "Mall Hair"

:lol:
LMAO! OMG that is all I see now!! Well, it was the 80s, big hair was in!

Michelle did seem distant in this episode. Like she had become hardened by it all. But, I don't think she expected Lily to turn around and run back to Thomas. Her emotions showed through there.

After watching these episodes again. I am becoming to like Michelle less and less. Especially for the whole Limbo episode. How stupid can you be, just pick up a phone! Instead you risk your own and Lily's life (not to mention Magnum's...again!) to ease your conscious over marrying another man. She could have left well enough alone to in Memories Are Forever. But, I guess we wouldn't have this good plot line. But, I certainly couldn't have stayed away from Thomas. She tried to be so righteous and noble, but in the end all she did was use Thomas. "But, once again I had no choice". He forgave her everything. Thomas blindly loves, and that is one of his endearing qualities.
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MPS »

I've got a question that's been bothering me since I first saw this episode, more than 20 years ago.

Michelle is, we are assuming, at least partially asian. (This seems to be the concensus on the boards.) Lily is "supposed" to be the child of Michelle and the general, right? Wouldn't he (the general) have noticed Lily's very western looks? Is he so head-over-heels in love with Michelle, that he just ignores it? How does Michelle keep doing this to guys? :evil:

Yes, I know, suspension of belief is crucial when wathcing MPI, but I had to ask. :? :?

I guess that's more like 3 1/2 questions, not just one.....
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Carmen
MPI

#21 Post by Carmen »

I think he knew, surely he was able to count back... and add 1 to 1 :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by MyGod! »

Something I'm quite confused about, can anyone clarify?
Why did Michelle have to leave at the end? was she being taken into protective custody by the U.S. Military? Or taken back to Vietnam for intelligence reasons? Or going back on her own accord to Vietnam?

I know this might get cleared up once I watch some fo the other epsiode, but i's been bugging me, I must be missing something...?

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#23 Post by Rutledal »

I think Michelle sort of enters a military version of the "Federal Witness Protection Program" because, as seen in the season 7 final, the people that killed Nguyen are probably still after her because she known "too much".

Also dialog in this episode places it some six months after "Death and Taxes", when Magnum gives Maggie flowers he says it's to congratulate her on her promotion which she marks was six months ago. At least it gave me the impression that he had not spoken to her since the promotion.
Last edited by Rutledal on Sun May 03, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

A P Leyland
Captain

#24 Post by A P Leyland »

Really good episode. The only bum note for me was the guy's death at the end when magnum shot him. The "hears an off-screen gunshot when a character is in the crosshairs, only for it to be another character shooting the bad guy" was a cliche 20 years ago and that in itself isn;t so bad but the actor's 'death' was just so awful. A small moment in an otherwise flawless episode but still.

Deborah Pratt also appeared as Marella in AIRWOLF and wrote one of that series best episodes - FALLEN ANGEL. I believe she was also Producer/Writer on QUANTUM LEAP and delivered that show's opening narration.

Andy

AJL
Commander

#25 Post by AJL »

A good and touching episode, though it had some plot holes, but then again, which episode doens't.
I always had one major complaint about this episode though, that I can't believe nobody's mentioned yet. In the end when Magnum says "I could go with you" but then says "But that would make you that much easier to find" or something along those lines..... That's just a horrible argument. Weren't the writers able to come up with a better excuse? Lots of couples have gone into witness protection without ever getting tracked down (and for the very very few that maybe was, whats to say that was because they were a couple???). In fact, if they know about Magnum (as it is said by Buck), that is a good reason why he in fact should follow her into the program, not to stay out of it! If they know as much about Michelle and Magnum as Buck suggests, and want to get to Michelle as badly as suggested, what would hinder them from using Magnum to get to Michelle?
This just bugs me to no end and, while not a flub in the common sense of the word, respresents to me one of the biggest flubs in the series. It just makes no sense, the logic is all over the place.
Can anybody please explain to me what I (hopefully) misunderstood about that whole situation???
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me