6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 71

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Sam »

James.It has been some time since I've seen it..
I also believe in was used in part 2..The Father.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome, thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Sam »

RC..Here is another view of the house.

Scroll down to 21.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolul ... -On-Oaahu/

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#19 Post by rubber chicken »

Very nice find Sam.

As the page says:
$7.8 million

7 bedrooms * 6 1/2 bathrooms * 4,028-sq.-ft. interior * 50,094-sq.-ft. lot

This Kahala Avenue property is the home of local philanthropist Dorothy K. McMillan, who's resided here for more than 30 years. Her oceanfront estate features one of the most stunning private gardens in Honolulu, with a variety of brightly colored tropical plants and immaculately trimmed trees. The McMillan property also includes a botanical cultivation structure, a large entertainment pavilion and a swimming pool.
I guess we should call it the McMillan Estate then.

So that tree I was complimenting is part of "one of the most stunning private gardens in Honolulu" and is "immaculately trimmed". I agree. :)

And the "botanical cultivation structure" might have been where Magnum and Paul Mayfield had the showdown.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
In the first house listed and described, the writer says the architect was "given free reign . . . . "

AAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

What is HAPPENING to our language???? I would expect that maybe in a high school senior's essay, not in a published magazine!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I do like this episode. I was not too thrilled with Pamela either. She was just too much of a pushy person to suit me. I never really understood Joan's secretary's story though.

Also, when Higgins is driving Pamela and the others to the estate in the first scene, it looks like there is duct tape on the door frame of the Audi. I wonder what that is all about?

jimhalinda
Lieutenant

#22 Post by jimhalinda »

I am watching Magnum on Deja View (I don't have any of the DVDs - yet!) and one of my favorite Higgins lines to date comes from this episode.

I can't remember it exactly, however, and I deleted it from my PVR. Perhaps one of you forum members could help?

It's near the beginning, when Magnum is trying to ask Higgins questions, assuming that he'll be asked to investigate.

Higgins says something like 'It will only lead to your disappointment, to continue this conversation'. As he says it you can see he is just relishing the fact that he is about to tell Magnum that his services are not wanted!

Could somebody please tell me exactly how Higgins said it? I thought the line was perfectly written (and delivered!).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jim

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#23 Post by rubber chicken »

"It will only distress you to continue this conversation."

I agree, very well spoken by Higgins. He says it quick and rather nonchalantly, with a air of polite happiness that there is no need for Magnum's services.

jimhalinda
Lieutenant

#24 Post by jimhalinda »

Thanks Rubber Chicken!

Higgins is becoming my favorite character. I can see why Mr. Hillerman won an Emmy for the role.

The more I watch this series, the more impressed I am with the writing and dialogue.

Regards,

Jim

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by Jodykmg365 »

The amazing thing to me about John Hillerman is that he is from Texas. He doesn't have the faintest Texas accent in that show. I was thoroughly convinced that he was really English.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#26 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Michael" (the MPI crew member) from this thread and this told me an interesting story about the filming of this episode and he said it was ok for me to share it with you guys.

When Angela Lansbury showed up on the set for the first day of filming, she wound up a "Big Ben"-type alarm clock and put it on the camera dolly. Several hours later, in the middle of a scene that Selleck was shooting, the alarm clock rang (loudly) and ruined the take. Instead of apologizing for the interruption, she got up off her chair and left the stage without saying a word. Apparently, her work days always had to end at 6:00PM sharp. :?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#27 Post by golfmobile »

Michael also told Larry and me this story, and he added more detail to elucidate how discourteous it is.

When they have a scene where there's a conversation among people sitting, for example, at a dinner table, they'll shoot the wide-angle pictures and then do the close-ups. USUALLY the person who is not being shot close-up but who is talking with the close-up-ee will stay and say his/her lines to give the close-up-ee the opportunity to react/respond in context. This is generally a courtesy that actors provide for each other. Lansbury would not do this if it was after 6 p.m. -- as James said, she would just get up and leave -- which was apparently very unusual on the MPI set because everyone there was such a part of the "team" and mutually worked long hours for the good of the show and for each other.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#28 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, Angela Landsbury was/is such a DIVA!! I never would have guessed it. :D

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#29 Post by rubber chicken »

Anecdotes like these are part of why I have a generally low opinion of actors & actresses. I'm more than willing to appreciate their work and sometimes even admire the skill shown in a good performance. But often they get far too much praise and attention, and depending on the person, that can result in oversized egos and famous but unlikeable people. Actors conducting themselves off camera in ways they never would when their normal audience is watching is one symptom.

Which is one reason I admire Tom Selleck. He's had the praise and attention but it hasn't seemed to have gone to his head. Instead, his position as a "star" has enabled him to affect more people in positive ways. For instance giving the Magnum crew members gifts or bonuses. And Roger E. Mosley's comments also come to mind about Mr. Selleck being so kind when they were first starting the show and he felt a bit out of place.

Sterling Hayden wrote in his book Wanderer (pg. 24) "There's nothing wrong with being an actor, if that's what a man wants. But there's everything wrong with achieving an exalted status simply because one photographs well and is able to handle dialogue put in one's mouth by others."

layne
Vice Admiral

#30 Post by layne »

Wow. I agree with SL. What a diva Ms. Landsbury was! Wouldn't want to work a few minutes past 6:00pm just to finish a scene with Tom Selleck!

Thanks for the story James and golf...but now I'm dying to hear more!