4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 71

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Novel Connection (7.9)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Novel Connection (7.9). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/19/1986
It's a case of he said-she said when Magnum must deal with Murder, She Wrote's Super Sleuth Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) after an attempt is made on the life of one of Robin Masters' guests.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I didn't care to this so much when I was younger. It's much better upon revisit. I still don't understand why they also didn't include the syndication version of this episode. Oh well.

A GREAT guest star cast highlights this episode - screen legend Angela Lansbury, broadway star Dorothy Loudon and the always-great Jessica Walter (Play Misty for Me, Arrested Development) who, might I add, looks positively smashing in this episode.

The Magnum/Jessica scenes are pure gold.

Jessica: If you don't mind I making a suggestion, I have a hunch that it's Amy who might be in some kind of trouble, and not Joan.
Magnum: Uh, I don't play "hunches". I stick to logic and deductive reasoning.

... and your "little voice" big guy. ;)

This episode also has a great "timecapsule" moment. Remember these things? Giant "mobile" phones the size of a small suitcase.

Too funny. I believe this is the first use of a "mobile" phone in the show. Also, notice T.C.'s "Team Ring". It's looks different, and larger. And Rick's hair! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

Oh yeah, the Zack Morris special!

I wanted to kick the "Pamela Bates" character in the head.

She's up there with Cassie Yates characters and Goldie Morris in terms of irritating me.

I have to say, Magnum was REALLY kind of Pi$$y to Ms. Fletcher a few times (although I can sort of understand).

This episode (or its crossover) has one of the best moments for me:

When Higgins "Karate Chop of Doom" actually WORKS!

:shock:

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

I agree with you, Doc,

Pamela Bates deserved a .45 between the eyes. She ranks 3rd on my list of irritating characters also behind Cassie Yates and Goldie Morris!!!

Magnum was a little pissy toward Jessica. That was a little out of character for Magnum. He was generally respectful even though a little aloof.

I thought the cinematography (if that's the correct word) was better in the Murder She Wrote episode than the Magnum episodes. I wonder why?

I noticed a strong correlation between the MSW and MPI shows. Great locations that everyone would love to visit and/or live, and strong friendships between the characters, and easy-going lifestyle of the main character...

I loved the "brick" phone used by TC and Rick. That would have cost you about $2000 in 1986/7. They had crappy reception and the battery only lasted about 30 minutes... boy how things have changed.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:Jessica Walter (Play Misty for Me) who, might I add, looks positively smashing in this episode.
Yeah, I'm definitely beginning to think Clint may have been a little too hasty and possibly even overreacted. :shock: :lol:

James J. Walters wrote:Magnum: Uh, I don't play "hunches". I stick to logic and deductive reasoning.
I like the way Magnum reverses Higgins' speech to him in that scene. Even though Magnum was a little cold to Jessica, I think it was intended to portray a bit of insecurity on his part.

There's a very funny visual gag that plays on this theme of insecurity- and also Magnum's fear of being viewed as insignificant. As Jessica insists they try to find room for one more chair, the camera pulls back to reveal Magnum sitting alone- essentially resigned to the "kiddie table". :lol:

magnumrules
Ensign

#6 Post by magnumrules »

Yeah, magnum was the outsider in that situation. That was hilarious though when Higgins karate chops the bad guy, awesome!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

I've never seen the syndicated version of this episode. For those that have seen it, how does the story end? Surely it can't be with Magnum's arrest.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#8 Post by rubber chicken »

OK, my excuse for this is a lazy holiday weekend. I enjoy using google earth / maps so I thought I'd look for the house of Jason Bryan from this episode. It wasn't very hard to find because it's on the shore and has a unique pool and grounds. The collage shows that the house really is the location used in the show. I was going to number and show the angle of each shot but I think it's clear enough and it's fun to match them up anyway. I really love that tree in the upper right, although it looks like the tree in the middle of the driveway was taken down. A few small changes have also been made around the pool area.
(google maps link)

While I was doing that I realized that the path taken by Paul Mayfield when Magnum is chasing him could be traced. The start and stop points are approximate but the numbered locations are correct. What's funny is that Mayfield (and the director of the show) chooses to take the chase through everyone at the party, twice even! Mayfield could have run north to the street or to his car in the driveway but he deliberately runs towards the back of the property through the people in the house, then the crowd around the pool, around a little building, back through the pool crowd and then into the potting shed area.

And lastly, here's Magnum at the kiddie table... :cry:

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#9 Post by SelleckLover »

Nice work rc....thanks for the visuals!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken! Great sleuthing! So it's in Kahala. Awesome piece of property! :)

I love the chase route, too. Too funny!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Sam »

Nice job RGEC.

It's funny how these houses keep getting recycled.It was also used in season 5 of Hawaii Five-O. V for Vashon..At one time I knew the name of the house but now I can't recall it.

Fire up the Google.You are roughly 2759 feet from the house in "Blind Justice"
Last edited by Sam on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

The answer might be elsewhere on this site, but I don't know where right now.

Whose "estate" is this one? We know the Anderson Estate, the Mark's Estate, the Walker House -- does this one have a name?

And I think IH is right about this being the house in The Chinese Typewriter movie (see Tom Selleck Pilots thread discussion).

Interesting how many of these settings ended up being re-cycled (and often) in MPI. And we thought MPI was the start of using these sets. Not! Appears that MPI was the copycat, not only of Hawaii 5-0 but also this Chinese Typewriter pilot! :wink:

Now we have to see if any turn up in The Gypsy Warriors! Can't wait till Jan. 13!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

Whose "estate" is this one?

I just remembered the name..It's simply called "Sunhala"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sam wrote:It's funny how these houses keep getting recycled.It was also used in season 5 of Hawaii Five-O. V for Vashon..
Do you happen to know which one? "V for Vashon: The Son"? "V for Vashon: The Father"? Or "V for Vashon: The Patriarch"?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Sam »

James..It was the first of the 3 part series... V for Vashon: Son