4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 71

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Novel Connection (7.9)

#61 Post by Styles Bitchley »

SignGuyHPW wrote:It also really baffled me that Magnum didn't know JB Fletcher was a woman, but was in the middle of a book that had her picture on the back cover.
Oops! I never noticed that.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by MHTR »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
It also really baffled me that Magnum didn't know JB Fletcher was a woman, but was in the middle of a book that had her picture on the back cover.
I guess Magnum was the type not to judge a book by its [back] cover! :lol:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#63 Post by marlboro »

I watched "Laura" the other day and it made me think of the classic Sinatra movie "The Manchurian Candidate." Angela Lansbury was fantastic in that. Instead of a Murder She Wrote crossover, I would have loved to have seen her appear on Magnum in one of the later season dramatic episodes.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

I'm clearly in the minority but I've always really liked this episode and gave it a 9.5. Just recently I have started watching Murder She Wrote pretty much out of the blue but I found this two parter to be fun well before being into the adventures of Jessica Fleture.

- I just thought this was a very fun story. Pamela Bates (man did I hate that woman!) and her crew being stalked by a killer? And Higgy trying to cast the blame on his own self and his "colorful" past. Classic borderline arrogant Higgins (as TM points out in Paper War) thinking more of his past experiences than he should. Not that I think they were all lies but just embelleshed.

- Jessica Walters (Joan) and Stephanie Faracy (Amy) played good roles and made for fun characters that kept me guessing. Joan being the criminal murderous mastermind totally threw me for a loop and Amy being this jewel hiding woman who was running from her nutcase husband was also an interesting story line.

- Jason Bryan's pad was unbelievable!! What a fantastic venue!!

- Coule there be three more unlikable characters that Pamela Bates, Victor Salyer, or Captain Browning? If so I think it would be a tall task to find them lol. Interesting to me how Captain Browning appeared and they still threw Tanaka in for a minor role. In other episodes where they had LT. Page (Death and Taxes for instance) as the featured cop you didn't see Tanaka whatsoever. This is one of the hundreds of small touches that made Magnum a more realistic show, as Tanaka didn't just instantly bail him out as usual and he had to deal with Captain Browning.

- The "karate chop of doom" (as I've seen it called in other posts on here lol) was awesome! I had to add this to the Favorite Higgins Moments thread as it's downright hilarious. And so obviously not John Hillerman as the fight continues on the ground lol. When Higgy grabs the cain and gets in position and the Salyer creep says something to the effect of "Oh not this old turkey" and then gets his but kicked lol. Since I started watching Magnum, I've not only loved Higgins military history and his stories but the fact that they gave him a physical toughness. It literally cracks me up every time he gets into a fist fight, or in usual Higgins fashion, some form of martial arts attack. Love it!

- Even though I felt bad for TM, I couldn't help but laugh at how much no one wanted his help with the investigation. And making him sit at the kids table for lunch, now that was just too much!

Anyway, just a fun two part episode that I really enjoy!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#65 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:It also really baffled me that Magnum didn't know JB Fletcher was a woman, but was in the middle of a book that had her picture on the back cover.
Oops! I never noticed that.
I wonder if JJ will qualify it as a flub?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this episode for the first time and the main take away for me is how annoying the Pamela Bates character is.
The best moment is Thomas sitting at the kiddy table, but having said that there wasn't that much to enjoy as the story felt a bit clunky.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I actually have the MSW Season 3 set, and the irony is that that set has only the syndicated version of this episode, making the events of "Magnum on Ice" make no sense whatsoever :P

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#68 Post by marlboro »

^ I hate it when companies release syndicated cuts on dvd sets. What kills me is that I see fans on pirate movie trackers spend countless hours making subtitles for movies, or making composites of various sources of rare movies, or whatever, and a billion dollar corporation can;t be bothered to check the running time of the shows they are releasing.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by KingKC »

Boy...this was a show where you love to hate people. I could not stand the Pamela Bates character. Jessica Walters was never a favorite of mine so I just pegged her as evil immediately upon seeing her. TM did not care for the Jessica Fletcher character. To be honest with you I did not remember the role of JB Fletcher being all that significant either. I just remember her showing up about half way through the episode.

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I posted the one for "Magnum on Ice" in its respective thread, but here's a funny review from a MSW blog. :)

https://murdersheblogged1.wordpress.com ... onnection/

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#71 Post by K Hale »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Totally Agree, although "Magnum on Ice" DID present the only time when the "Karate Chop of Doom" actually worked.

:wink:
I finally know where your avatar comes from - I was wondering why I didn't recognise it! :lol:
I just paid $19 on Amazon for MSW Season 3 -- all six DVDs -- solely to see the Karate Chop of Doom.

Don't let me down...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#72 Post by K Hale »

Higgette wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Jodykmg365 wrote:The amazing thing to me about John Hillerman is that he is from Texas. He doesn't have the faintest Texas accent in that show. I was thoroughly convinced that he was really English.
He does slip the odd soft T or rolling R every now and then but yes, he is suberb.

He sounds to me like a British person who's been in the States for a long time - which is perfect for Higgins!
I guarantee that any sort of expat is going to pick up speech mannerisms from the place where they are currently living. Happened to me. I was born in Texas but my family moved to California when I was very young. I moved back to Texas at age 28 and within a fairly short number of years I found myself unconsciously and unironically using Texasisms I had never before used in my life, such as "y'all" and "fixing to." I did not intentionally take this on and am not aware I'm about to say them until they're out. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#73 Post by K Hale »

K Hale wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:Totally Agree, although "Magnum on Ice" DID present the only time when the "Karate Chop of Doom" actually worked.

:wink:
I finally know where your avatar comes from - I was wondering why I didn't recognise it! :lol:
I just paid $19 on Amazon for MSW Season 3 -- all six DVDs -- solely to see the Karate Chop of Doom.

Don't let me down...
Verdict: WORTH IT.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Michelle_Hue
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#74 Post by Michelle_Hue »

This is one of my favorite Magnum episodes. I'm female so I enjoy the ones that have female co-stars a lot more than the episodes that are really dark and aggressive. I love all the female characters in this episode & the Murder She Wrote crossover episode, and I really enjoy all the scenic shots of Hawaii & Waikiki shown in both episodes.

One of the things that I really love about this episode is the "action music." This seventh season of Magnum contains a version of the Magnum action music that I really LOVE. It's so intriguing and compelling. I even recorded it with my phone and have it as my ringtone, and I have the sound-file on my computer. I'm posting the music here, click on the link and then play the sound file:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1IhqNhIOCQS

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by K Hale »

Even Pamela? She's so awful to everyone.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!