No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 79

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Kapu (7.10)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Kapu (7.10). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/26/1986
When a beautiful island girl witnesses a murder, Magnum finds himself protecting her and the old native ways of "Forbidden Island" as the killers try to catch up to them.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Frodoleader »

One of my absolute favorites.
I am glad MPI did a show highlighting Native Hawaiian culture.
Interestingly, just recently I heard a comic on the Bob & Tom Radio Show (can't recall his name), that was a Native Hawaiian. He joked that when in Charlotte, NC, about 20 Hawaiians came to his show: "More Hawaiians that were ever on 8 years of Magnum PI!".

...I beg to differ...

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by eegorr »

Frodoleader wrote:Interestingly, just recently I heard a comic on the Bob & Tom Radio Show (can't recall his name), that was a Native Hawaiian. He joked that when in Charlotte, NC, about 20 Hawaiians came to his show: "More Hawaiians that were ever on 8 years of Magnum PI!".

...I beg to differ...
Yeah, so much for comedy being based on reality! :lol:

You could say that about just about any other show (except maybe Hawaii Five-O). but not MPI! Even the average episode has several Hawaiians in it, some of them with recurring roles and others who play different supporting parts in different episodes. Not to mention the number of extras they employed!

And this episode featured plenty of Hawaiians... more than showed up for his comedy show, I'll bet!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#4 Post by Shermy »

This one reminds me of a Star Trek episode titled, "The Paradise Syndrome". In "Paradise", Kirk is injured, loses his memory, and is nursed back to health by a primitive tribe of natives. Naturally, one of the girls falls in love with him, while a prominent warrior becomes jealous and doesn't think he belongs there. Kirk weds the young girl, who ultimately dies while pregnant with his child. Okay, so maybe they're not all that similar... :lol:

I've always liked this one, but never did think the villagers had a very good plan. How long did they really expect to keep Magnum drugged, while also trying to keep the girl hidden from his view?

There's a nice, brief moment that revisits the idea of Magnum's psychic connection with his friends. As Magnum and Rick each pause at the water's edge, it's reminiscent of Home From the Sea (among others). I also like the way Rick defends Thomas to Ice Pick. Even though I think of this as a Magnum-centric episode (to borrow from Doc Ibold), Rick has some really good moments here.

On a side note, the closing credits feature an outtake of Magnum and Mano in the canoe (from the show's finale).

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:This one reminds me of a Star Trek episode titled, "The Paradise Syndrome". In "Paradise", Kirk is injured, loses his memory, and is nursed back to health by a primitive tribe of natives. Naturally, one of the girls falls in love with him, while a prominent warrior becomes jealous and doesn't think he belongs there. Kirk weds the young girl, who ultimately dies while pregnant with his child. Okay, so maybe they're not all that similar... :lol:
I remember that episode! Great comparison Shermy!

I'm not quite sure what to make of this episode. I'm kind of half-n-half on this one. I like the setup and the inclusion of traditional Hawaiian culture into the show (the outrigger canoe and luau scenes in particular were nicely done), but the execution and dialog is a bit awkward, and lacking a bit in the quality department.

I'm still a little confused as to why Magnum felt like he was in mortal danger and had to get off the island IMMEDIATELY. He was being tended to by a kind village woman. He was never threatened. No one on the island was paying much attention to him, or even seemed to care that he was there! Yet, Magnum appears to be terrified of the islanders and jumps in the first canoe he sees and starts to paddle back to the civilization! :?

It's nice to see Hawaiian singer Marlene Sai (from the early Don Ho days) get a role on the show. I always like it when the show gives "props" to the local Hawaiian artists. Speaking of Don Ho, how in the world did he not make it into a Magnum episode?! Odd.

The in-episode music is also really well done here, with a couple of good scores, particularly during the outrigger canoe chase scene.
Shermy wrote:On a side note, the closing credits feature an outtake of Magnum and Mano in the canoe (from the show's finale).
Nice catch Shermy!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

The secluded community reminded me of those towns that were always created for The A-Team. Although A-Team towns were always set in some hills around L.A and all looked alike, and usually had something to do with simi-trucks.

And was that the longest and most complex montage ever? A number of times I thought it was winding down, and a number of times I was wrong.

After seeing Team America: World Police I always think of their montage song. It's a sports montage but still applies...

The day is approaching to give it your best
You've got to reach your prime!
That's when you need to put yourself to the test
And show us the passage of time.
We're gonna need a montage. (Montage)
A sports-training montage! (Montage)

And just show a lot of things happenin' at once.
Remind everyone of what's goin' on. (What's goin' on?)
And with every shot, show a little improvement
To show it won't take too long.
That's called a montage. (Montage)
Even Rocky had a montage! (Montage)

In any sport, if you want to go
From just a beginner to a pro
You'll need a montage. (Montage)
A simple little montage! (Montage)

Always fade out (Montage) into a montage... (Montage)
If you fade out it seems like a long time (Montage) has passed in a montage... (Montage)
Montage... (Montage)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#7 Post by rubber chicken »

In reading James' notes on this episode I went to the wiki page for Niihau, the privately owned Hawaiian island. It has a small number of native Hawaiian's living there and to quote the wiki article "is generally off-limits to all but relatives of the island's owners, U.S. Navy personnel, government officials and invited guests."

The shells which the young girl wore in the show may have been based on Niihau. Wiki says "On the beaches of the island are found pupu, shells that wash onto the shores of Ni'ihau during the winter months. The sale of shells and shell jewelry provide an additional source of income for the local populace. The shells and jewelry are so popular, that in 2004, Governor Linda Lingle signed a bill to protect Niihau shell leis from counterfeiting."

And as wiki says "The island of Niʻihau was considered as a possible location for the United Nations headquarters in 1944 by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt had visited Hawaii in 1934." Imagine that, the UN being located on a small Hawaiian island!

It's a very interesting article, but again proving that wikipedia is a black hole which sucks unwitting visitors further and further into it's grasp, I went to the page on the Niihau Incident about a Japanese pilot who crash landed on the island after bombing Pearl Harbor, and the events which followed. Fascinating.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Niihau Incident about a Japanese pilot who crash landed on the island after bombing Pearl Harbor, and the events which followed. Fascinating.
Fascinating, indeed! Thanks for sharing that!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Danno »

rubber chicken wrote:In reading James' notes on this episode I went to the wiki page for Niihau, the privately owned Hawaiian island. It has a small number of native Hawaiian's living there and to quote the wiki article "is generally off-limits to all but relatives of the island's owners, U.S. Navy personnel, government officials and invited guests."
I'm astounded that someone owns the island. Reading what the Robinsons are doing to look after their island seems praiseworthy as well. Wow. Thanks for posting this, Rubber Chicken- I was wondering if there was an island actually called Kapu or not- though the reality is far more interesting than I thought.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Frodoleader »

As we make our way through our Season 7 dvds, we watched "Kapu" the other night. I laughed out loud to see in the scene where TM comes out among the inhabitants on the beach (right after he modified his clothes by ripping off the shirt sleeves and cutting off his pants legs), a small dog squating to take a dump! It's directly in the background behind TM as he walks among the other actors in the scene.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

Found this (via links) as I was putzing around the site...

:(

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 20304.html

...actor that played Mano in this episode of MPI, Dick Jensen, passed away in 2006, of ALS or Lou Gehrings disease. Lost my mother to ALS...it's a real tough way to go!
Dick Jensen was inother MPI episodes, that I cannot think of right now. Also Hawaii Five-O.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Frodoleader »

Ooops!
That link I posted above was supposed to go to the obit for Dick Jensen, but it does not. Sorry!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Frodoleader, I've corrected the link.

May "The Giant" rest in peace.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum hits the Forbidden Course on the Forbidden Island of Kapu

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Jodykmg365 »

There is a documentary about this island that appears on the documentary channel every once in a while. It is owned by a rich family who ownes a lot of other property on another of the Hawaiian islands. The brother who runs it is a firecracker.

I have wanted a necklace made out of the rice shells, but they are so expensive. I haven't been able to find one that I can afford yet.