6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes

Total votes: 79

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#61 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

It's quite obvious that Rick and Ice Pick operate on a "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" basis. Given that Ice Pick is giving Rick scoops in every single episode, I wonder what can a club manager like Rick do to pay back so many favors to one of the most powerful gangstes in the islands. Maybe the jobs he does for him are too shady to be known by the viewer?

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Sisophous »

Something about this story does not add up. A mob hitman carries out a contract killing and is witnessed by Magnum and an island girl. I get that. Then he traces the girl via her unusual necklace beads to a remote island where there are no lines of communication, no phones and yet goes there to kill the girl??? He is more likely to be identified by numerous people on the island in his effort to kill the girl and Magnum unless his intention is to kill everyone on the island.

Then, the girl mysteriously happens to leave the village at just the moment the hitman arrives on the island and Magnum is conveniently lurking in the bush.

Too far fetched a plot and does not make sense. I think most hitmen would have left Oahu or wherever they committed the crime, but then there would be no story to tell.

And as other members point out, Magnum must have been doing some incredible navigating in the waters when he took a canoe out on his own. If he doesn't have any idea where he is as he mentions, how can he know where he is heading in the open sea with no land in sight? He could be heading in the wrong direction.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Kapu (7.10)

#63 Post by Doc Fred »

I loved this episode, and gave it a 10.

If it was possible, I'd love to live in a place like Kapu, away from modern society and back to nature. As Mano said, no drugs, no crime, no tv, no electricity... etc. Now, I know that most modern folks will disagree with me, but I truly believe I was born in the wrong century. Actually, I almost came to live this kind of life... back in the 60's my best friend and I were ready to homestead in Alaska with plots that were being given away. We planned to live off the land, build a cabin and clear the land as required by the government. Family problems, and then him getting drafted made it impossible. So, when I saw this episode of "Kapu", it brought my mind back to the 60's and my late friend. Yes, yes, yes, Kapu would have been perfect for me.

As for the story, I enjoyed the plot, enjoyed Magnum's predicament, and enjoyed the dear and innocent young lady....

To me, this was perfect.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#64 Post by marlboro »

I thought this episode was really dull. As has already been pointed out, this episode is pretty much a copy of "Witness" but somehow these islanders managed to be less exciting than the Amish. From the interminable montage, to the "paddling into the ocean without supplies" scene this episode just felt extremely padded out.

Was Magnum actually injured at all? I saw blood in the water when the assassin shot at them, but I never saw an actual wound.

How does Magnum know that "they" will come to the island after the girl? Only one killer was ever shown.

And that killer really had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. At the top of the stairs waiting for his target like he knew Magnum was about to chase him in that direction, showing up in a boat at the exact moment Magnum would follow the girl into the woods. He must have a "little voice" too.

And what was the killer's plan at the end? Show up on an island full of people in the middle of the day, find the girl, blast her with an UZI and then slip away unnoticed?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re:

#65 Post by marlboro »

Doc Ibold wrote:Everybody poops, Agatha

:lol:

Not me - I'm a Republican.

TexasT
Ensign

#66 Post by TexasT »

I wondered when watching this episode, if there was a cameo of Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole as the bongo player. Thoughts?

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#67 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I wasn't a fan of this one really. The plot just didn't do it for me. I can understand the girl and Magnum see the murder and run from the killer. What didn't make sense was the hitman shooting the guy in broad day light in a crowded area. They also never really made sense as to why there was a murder. They also never really show/mention what happened with the killer. It was implied that Magnum killed him, but they seemed to just drop it in the final scene. Rick's detective skills in tracking Magnum down were pretty far fetched too. I was also puzzled that it was implied Magnum was shot, but when he's on the island they just say he'd hit his head. It didn't really make much sense to me that the injury was so different. It also didn't make a ton of sense that he felt so compelled to leave out of danger. There were just to many jumps of logic in this for me.

Also, for the people that compared it to The Paradise Syndrome of Star Trek, I can see why you may get that, but have to disagree. Magnum didn't fall in love with the girl and become involved with her like in Star Trek. Kirk was also accepted by most in the village on Star Trek where Magnum was being kept there because they thought he'd lead the killers to the island should he go back. Also, had nearly total amnesia where Magnum had just some short term memory loss that was clearing up quickly.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Milton Collins »

Ok, so the guy playing the angry Hawaiian who doesn't like TM being there, how many different guys has this guy played over the many episodes he's appeared in? I can place him in at least the following: The Kona Winds (the guy who says "if you can't bring Magnum to the party then you bring the party to Magnum" and brings TM a pitcher of booze in Rick's office) Blind Justice (as Willie "K" the car salesman who sells TM the lemon) and theres probably a couple others that I'm missing. I just find it funny that they used the same actor so many different times to play different characters. That's part of the charm of the show though and makes it more likable, just pointing out the obvious I guess. This was not one of my favorite episodes but was interesting and different at the same time.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#69 Post by .45caliber »

I liked this one and seeing the Hawaiian culture was really cool. Didn't like the ending which could've been exciting but fell totally flat. I hate when they do the gun shot but don't show it and you have to wait and see who emerges from ths trees. Why not just show it? The other thing that I didn't like was, why not have Rick, TC and Higgins join the luau? Instead they never show them on the island, just the chopper taking off. Other than that a enjoyable episode

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by charybdis1966 »

What occurred to me watching this is how the present day 40 something me perceived this episode and compared to how the early 20's me would've done when I first saw it.

Back then I would have found this tedious due to the lack of Ferrari car chases, bikini babes and light hearted comedy and the focus on native Hawaiian culture.

Watching today it is precisely this focus on Hawaiian culture that is so fascinating and, on the whole, sensitively done. Looking back on this thread I see the similarities with TOS Star Trek episode which made me subconciously wonder if Thomas brandishing his gun would be a violation of the prime directive.

Aside from how the hitman found his target on Kapu so quickly I can say that overall I enjoyed this one.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by KingKC »

What I so vividly remember about this one was the subtle suspense. Will TM get off the island? Will the killer show up? Where is the girl? How is this all going to end??? I really got frustrated with the culture of this secluded island tribe holding someone against his will but I guess part of the Hawaiian culture was to avoid the progress (interruption) of the white race and hold on to the beauty of theirs.

KingKC

Sperry
Lieutenant

#72 Post by Sperry »

Why does Icepick seem so indeifferent to Thomas is this episode? Just a few episodes earlier he was giving it the big pal act in the hospital after Thomas was shot

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#73 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Sperry wrote:Why does Icepick seem so indeifferent to Thomas is this episode? Just a few episodes earlier he was giving it the big pal act in the hospital after Thomas was shot
I always thought that the "big pal act" was what was out of character. They normally played Magnum being a little leery of Icepick. It's part of why Magnum would go through Rick rather than talk to Icepick directly. I always took it as Icepick was willing to do favors for Rick even though he knew they were really for Magnum. I don't think he was ever especially close to Thomas.

Sperry
Lieutenant

#74 Post by Sperry »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Sperry wrote:Why does Icepick seem so indeifferent to Thomas is this episode? Just a few episodes earlier he was giving it the big pal act in the hospital after Thomas was shot
I always thought that the "big pal act" was what was out of character. They normally played Magnum being a little leery of Icepick. It's part of why Magnum would go through Rick rather than talk to Icepick directly. I always took it as Icepick was willing to do favors for Rick even though he knew they were really for Magnum. I don't think he was ever especially close to Thomas.
yes good point

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#75 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:(As an aside, Magnum appears as a good example of the stereotypical ubiquitous Ugly American encountered around the world in other countries, as he exhibits anger, frustration, disrespect, ignorance, ingratitude, a disproportionate impatience to get outta Dodge, a basic loud pushy bumbling presence, etc., among a people and a setting that at the least he should be treading lightly with and with SOME degree of interest, respectfulness and appreciation for, and maybe a modicum of familiarity with, as it is the kuleana, the duty... of anyone who calls themselves a resident of Hawai'i, to learn of Hawai'i's past, culture, ways, etc.. Instead, he seems like some New yawk or Californica tourist who just fell FOB.)
Well, he was drugged and held against his will. He tried to talk to the Chief and got pretty much nothing but silence. He tried to leave peacefully and they tracked him down and dragged him back to the island. I'd be a little angry and frustrated if that happened to me, especially after I'd saved the life of one of their own. But it all worked out in the end, didn't it? They respected him and he respected them. The Chief even gave him a ride home in his own canoe. ;)
Exactly. Some of them could have been facing some serious criminal charges if Magnum wanted to press the issue.
Braddah Kimo wrote:'he was drugged and held against his will'
One's will is subjugated when in another land. especially if there may be a threat to the social calm and equanimity or order. If the ali'i consider it best to try heal him and hold him until he is whole, so be it. You don't push and expect things to work as they did in your own society. You are subject to the parameters of the laws of the land you are in.
But it has been a long time... gotta watch it again!
It wasn't Magnum's idea to go to that island in the first place. They took him there without his consent. All he did was save that girl from being shot by the hitman.