3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 69

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Missing Melody (7.11)

#31 Post by .45caliber »

Great episode! I gave it a nine. The story was great and I love when they all rally together to help each other, what a great group of friends. It makes the best episodes when we see everybody pulling together and the bonds they have.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Milton Collins »

I just couldn't get into this one whatsoever, a 6.0 for me. While I did like the guys pulling together to help TC (especially Higgins ranting at the banker to wire him the funds:)) I just thought this was a strained and rather ridiculous episode:

- I really don't enjoy the addition of children into MPI. Whether it's basketball Willy, Tran Quac Jones, or TC's very annoying son Bryant I don't think kids added to the episodes or were a good fit for Magnum PI. Lilly Catherine was the only one that I didn't mind.

- The acting just seemed really strained to me, especially by Robert Mosley. Given that it was a "TC Centric" episode, I was dissapointed to see this. He went in and out from barely seeming grief stricken at first (shaking Bryant's hand in the car), to ragefully angry (the scene with Big Jim and a couple others, totally overdone!) and back to calm way too many times. Just my opinion but I thought this detracted from the episode. Also, the fight scene at the end with between 3-100 consecutive karate kicks from TC (lollollol) and then a ridiculous repeated fist pump while holding his daughter - was just terrible. Funny, but terrible nonetheless.

- Tina's boyfriend (the dude who gets blown away in the opening scene of Dirty Harry:)) actually did a decent job of throwing some suspicion and putting a twist into this one. But I ask this: Tina is serious engough about him to bring him to Hawaii with her but then just drops him instantly? Maybe she was back into TC (which is slightly implied) or didn't want to deal with his gambling issues etc. but just another weak plot line in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love TC as a character but I just thought this was a very poor episode in an EXCELLENT season 7. Didn't feel like Magnum PI to me at all.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by charybdis1966 »

I agree with Milton Collins, the over extended fist pumping from TC when he got his daughter back did look odd and was unintentionally funny.
This episode had its moments and Higgins showed admirable loyalty in his reaction to the abduction but this doesn't make up for the weak story and inconsistent character behaviour of TC.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

This wasn't a particularly memorable ep for me (though I prob wasn't bothered by the acting at the time), aside from the twist and the inclusion of Albert Popwell, who, I should clarify, wasn't "blown away" in Dirty Harry so much as incapacitated. I can't say the same for his characters in Magnum Force and Sudden Impact, unfortunately. (And I thought Magnum really reused actors :P )

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by KingKC »

I am not surprised that this episode gets a somewhat low rating of 7.7. I think it was just a way to get TC's past into the show. We knew a lot about Higgins past from his visitors and stories, a lot about Rick's past from his relationship with Icepick and, of course, Magnum's past as he was the star of the show. I think this was just TC getting more of his role identified. I think it shows that TC had an impression upon Higgins which gave him an "one of the gang" image in Higgins eyes. Maybe it had something to do with building up to TC possible getting back together with his family in Resolutions as I think that was hinted at. It gave us a little more about his PTSD and his anger issues which made him a little more realistic and maybe explained some of his "attitude" throughout the show. Maybe he overacted some scenes a little but come on...fathers just might tend to overdo things upon seeing their ex and kids for the first time in years. Overall I liked it but don't rate it as a great one...just a little more memorable than some.

KingKC

Sperry
Lieutenant

#36 Post by Sperry »

Any issues people have with this epidode are probably well founded. But for me all of this is redeemed by the scene with TC and his lad reconciling by the helicopter. love it

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I second the son scene. Watching it again recently, Moseley's acting never really bothered me. Of course T.C. would be giddy and excited to see his kids after all these years. While it was weird introducing Tina and the kids after never hearing of them before, we also didn't get a huge amount pertaining to T.C.'s PTSD before here either, so it does tie nicely together. (Of course Tina wouldn't have approved of Rick. :lol:)

And of course Magnum carrying Melody back absolutely tugs at the heartstrings. :)

PickledEggPlease
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#38 Post by PickledEggPlease »

Many of you mentioned the bit where Tina talks about the "nightmares and the moods" that TC had leading up to their breakup. What really struck me was Magnum's reaction. It's just a small moment, but he's really taken aback. TC has previously denied having any sort of post-traumatic stress - I remember a scene on a beach, I think after a volleyball game, where Magnum tentatively asks if he ever...thinks about that stuff. And TC brushes it off.
What a poignant thing, that these friends are so close in so many ways and struggling in parallel, but not able to admit it to each other.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

PickledEggPlease wrote:TC has previously denied having any sort of post-traumatic stress - I remember a scene on a beach, I think after a volleyball game, where Magnum tentatively asks if he ever...thinks about that stuff. And TC brushes it off. What a poignant thing, that these friends are so close in so many ways and struggling in parallel, but not able to admit it to each other.
The episode you're referring to is I believe "Skin Deep", and it's def one of the first episodes after the pilot where their PTSD is discussed in depth. It is poignant how despite all they've been through together, they (at the time at least) couldn't fully talk about it with each other. We see how being in Hawaii with the business on his own helps T.C. cope, but it's also at the cost of his marriage and seeing his kids.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by brianw »

Been too long since I have seen this one to comment much. But Albert Popwell, of Dirty Harry fame. He played a different character in Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer AND Sudden Impact.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 7.11 Missing Melody

Famous guest stars: .5 Alfonso Ribeiro, half point for future fame
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts: 2

Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum):
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks:
Magnumometer: 5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/676606466

“Chrysler tell Detroit every time they make a change?” Umm…actually, I think the answer is probably yes to that one.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."