308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by 308GUY »

Raises hand....make that two....:D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Little Garwood »

It turns out to not be the same painting but here's the screen cap from Kolchak anyway:

I only feel slightly embarrassed that it doesn't look like the Murder By Night painting![/img]
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by 308GUY »

Well...at least you followed through! Sometimes follow through turns out good.....sometimes not :? ....now we know :wink: . Thanks for the follow up.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Murder by Night (7.14)

#54 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

After a recent rewatch, I must say this episode is very viewable even in color. Color actually highlights the detail of the clothes, etc.

I did notice though that on one occasion Magnum unbuttons his double-breasted jacket when he sits on the sofa. Double-breasted jackets are definitely not meant to be unbuttoned - which I guess is one good reason not to wear them.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Stelth »

I watched this episode on Cozi last Thursday and fortunately it wasn't the colorized version. This was a nice change of pace and a great episode. It's fun seeing the cast doing different characters (except for Rick; always the dork). I especially liked the ending with the "double dream" and the very last bit with Magnum coughing.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#56 Post by marlboro »

It really, really ticks me off that Universal stuck an altered version of the episode on the dvd. :x Why would a "colorized" version even exist?

mandolabar wrote:John Hillerman was playing Sam Caldwell. You forgot he ever WAS Higgins. He created a totally believable new person right there in the space of 45 minutes. Not a nice person, but a totally complete one, divorced entirely from his regular Magnum role, which is something none of the other three did. Just, wow.
I completely agree. Once again, Hillerman has blown me away with his acting ability.

I'm a film noir fan, so this episode was right up my alley. A really fun episode. Nice to see the great character actor Henry Jones again; I'll always remember him from 3:10 to Yuma and a lot of Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes.

A couple of random thoughts:

- Roger Mosley was pretty bad in this. Larry Manetti was good though.

- I wish Jean Bruce Scott had been worked into the cast. Maybe as Magnum's secretary or something.

- Tom Selleck looked great, but he could use some work on his delivery. It just didn't sound very noirish. He should have slowed it down a bit. Maybe do a little Robert Mitchum impersonation. "Cool nonchalance" is what he should have been going for.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#57 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I enjoyed it. It was a colorised version except for the scene with Magnum dreaming that he had woken up and was talking to Higgins. It gave the actors something different to do which probably was refreshing for them.

I'm not a fan of all of the smoking, but understand why they did it in this episode. Magnum coughing at the end to show he didn't really endorse it was a nice touch though. I felt that the reverend came off kind of cartoonish though that may have been their intent.

I thought it was a good mystery and something different for them to do. I found it interesting that Mosley's character drank from a flask considering he seemed to not want the regular character to drink at all. I agree with those that thought Hillerman put on an absolutely marvelous performance.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

Re:

#58 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
3) A black police inspector in the 1930s? Not even Roger Mosley seemed to believe in his own role...
I agree with those that think Roger Mosley didn't put in a very good performance. It might be because he was miscast.

You're right, a black police inspector in 1941 San Francisco is highly unlikely.

John Hillerman should've played the part of Inspector Wolf just like how he played the police inspector during Magnum's 1941 dream sequence at the beginning of "A.A.P.I." This would've worked well since there is an antagonistic relationship between Magnum and Higgins and between Magnum and Wolf.

Roger Mosley should've played the role of the butler. The role of lawyer Sam Caldwell should've went to someone else. Lance LeGault, maybe?

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#59 Post by tiger73 »

Hi all. Sorry for my bad english. I have reseen this episode yesterday and have noticed It's clearly inspired to Mike Hammer by the great late Mickey Spillane. I am great fan of Magnum PI & Mike Hammer too

ImageImage

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#60 Post by tiger73 »

I did an article on Mike Hammer Magnum tribute, here the english version with google translator :P

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... -hammer%2F

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Milton Collins »

This is a pretty fun episode. Not terrible to see the blonde daughter either lol. It's cool to me how creative Magnum PI was, each episode could be a complete 360 from the last one. Rick as the minister with his greased up hair was priceless! Love the end credits with Magnum coughing up smoke lol.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw the largely black and white version fortunately and it does make the dream-within-a-dream sequence at the end make more sense.
This was more Mrs Marple with some Sam Spade than film noir per se, I thought. The tone was light hearted which made for a nice contrast with later season 7 episodes that were more sombre in tone with Roger Mosely hamming up his role hilariously.
The abundance of attractive female guest stars combined with the black and white photography made it a visually pleasing episode, with the blonde daughter a particular highlight.
The final Hercule Poirot inspired resolution scene was good- with all of them being guilty was good way to finish.
Overall, highly enjoyable.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

Re:

#63 Post by Mark R.Y. »

N1095A wrote:I just discovered this episode, and I have just one thing to say, Jennifer Runyan. Yeah, it's a good episode :wink:
Jennifer Runyon, indeed! A major crush of mine in the '80s. Note that she does the Higgins "Oh my God!" when calling off "Osiris" and "Isis."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:It really, really ticks me off that Universal stuck an altered version of the episode on the dvd. :x Why would a "colorized" version even exist?
I'm amazed to learn a colorized version of this even exists. What a mess. Glad I haven't seen it. The black and white version, while not the most interesting plot, is beautiful to look at and fun to watch with everyone in the different roles, especially...
mandolabar wrote:...John Hillerman was playing Sam Caldwell. You forgot he ever WAS Higgins. He created a totally believable new person right there in the space of 45 minutes. Not a nice person, but a totally complete one, divorced entirely from his regular Magnum role, which is something none of the other three did. Just, wow.
I completely agree. Once again, Hillerman has blown me away with his acting ability.
100%. The other three guys are good actors, particularly Selleck who is very good within a certain niche. But JH had a lot more tools in the toolbox, and it sure shows in this episode.
- Tom Selleck looked great, but he could use some work on his delivery. It just didn't sound very noirish. He should have slowed it down a bit. Maybe do a little Robert Mitchum impersonation. "Cool nonchalance" is what he should have been going for.
I found his delivery a bit campy.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ifunlisted
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by ifunlisted »

About half-way through the episode, Magnum's secretary lights his cigarette with some kind of permanent / eternal matchstick. Does anyone happen to know what it's called (the desktop version) or have any idea how to find one online?