3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 70

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Murder by Night (7.14)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Murder by Night (7.14). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 1/14/1987
Everything old is new again when Magnum takes on a 1940s mystery in this film noir trip to the past.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I recently received an email from a Magnum fan who said she recently saw a colorized version of this episode on KDOC-TV in Los Angeles (in June 2007).
The episode's opening credits are in black and white, as well as the opening shot of the mansion's exterior, but when it cuts to the beginning interior scene where the camera is panning across the study to reveal the murdered man at the desk, it is in color. The black and white reappears at the end when Magnum wakes up in the present day and realizes he's dreaming because everything is black and white. He returns to bed, then wakes again and color is restored.
Truthfully, I havn't seen this episode since the original broadcast, which if my mind serves me correctly was all black and white (except for the very end). Right?

I've heard rumors of this colorized version, but never have been able to verify it until now.

Has anyone else seen this "colorized" version in TV syndication?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Steve »

This episode just aired in Chicago on "ME-TV". Just as you stated, the opening credits were in Black & White, then it went to color, then back to black & white in the end when Magnum woke up still dreaming, and then back again to color when he really woke up. It really takes away from the Film Noir aspect of the episode and I am not sure if it was just me, but the make-up looked heavy and had a bit of a yellowish hue to it. Probably for the black & white effect in the original version. It will be interesting to see what they do with the DVD version of the episode.....

Steve
Chicago

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#4 Post by Kahunagirl »

I just saw the DVD version (thanks to a rainy day off!) and it's the "colorized" version that Steve describes. It would have made more sense for the main story to be entirely in black and white, but the colorization didn't ruin it for me.

Kahunagirl

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Let's see what we have here. A 1940s film noir Private Eye sets out to solve a complex Agatha Christie-like murder mystery. There are "old Hollywood style" opening credits and music. The main cast are playing fictional characters. The main house and guesthouse sets are completely redone. We find out at the end that the whole episode is Magnum's dream, which is based on a story he recently wrote called Murder by Night, his first attempt at fiction. This is, of course, after he "wakes up" the first time (and finds Higgins praising his work), but realizes he's STILL dreaming. And then we have a humorous, self-referencing final scene with 1940s Thomas Magnum reading Headquarters Detective (a real pulp 'zine from the 40s) and choking on cigarette smoke. An obvious joke on the amount of cigarettes he smokes throughout the episode!

Yeah, I can get into this type of episode! I think it's safe to say that you will never see this type of setup for any other show, ever! Brilliant! And only on Magnum P.I.!

This episode also features one of the best punches ever seen in the show, fittingly on Rick (I mean, Rev. Bentley). In the scene where Bentley tries to search Magnum's office, Magnum throws him against the wall, holds him with one hand, then shows him his fist. He holds his fist in front of his face for a good 2-3 seconds before he drills him, hard! Classic film noir! The way they film it, it really looks like he hits him, too!

:)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:This episode also features one of the best punches ever seen in the show, fittingly on Rick. In the scene where Bentley tries to search Magnum's office...
This is my favorite part of the episode. A clever recreation (almost verbatim) of Sam Spade's first meeting with Joel Cairo in The Maltese Falcon.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Man, that is really cool. Thanks Shermy! Yet another movie I need to watch again, The Maltese Falcon.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

The scene in question is actually on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqOlZ_SUEnA

Great stuff. :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#9 Post by rubber chicken »

And the check Rev. Bentley has on his person (from Mr. Mayfield) is for $5,000 - the same amount Joel Cairo promises to give Samuel Spade if he can find the "black bird." (I'm currently reading the Maltese Falcon.)

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#10 Post by N1095A »

I just discovered this episode, and I have just one thing to say, Jennifer Runyan. Yeah, it's a good episode :wink:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#11 Post by golfmobile »

Note in this episode Higgins (Hillerman) does not speak with his British accent, so it is probably the only time (when he's not playing one of his half-brothers with that particular half-brother's accent) that we may be hearing his true Texas accent. I wonder how much of Elmo Ziller was really his voice too, just exaggerated a little.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#12 Post by N1095A »

I noticed this too Golf. Have you ever seen Blazing Saddles?
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

N, yes, I noticed it there too but probably just unconsciously attributed it to the genre of the movie. Makes you wonder how he really talks. I don't recall how he sounded in "At Long Last Love," though as a butler I think it would have been the near-British accent. What others recall his other roles in movies where he didn't have the British accent? How did he sound in the macadamia nut commercial? Was he Higgins there (a la Hawaii connection)? Anyone recall?

golf[/b]
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

golfmobile wrote:N, yes, I noticed it there too but probably just unconsciously attributed it to the genre of the movie. Makes you wonder how he really talks. I don't recall how he sounded in "At Long Last Love," though as a butler I think it would have been the near-British accent. What others recall his other roles in movies where he didn't have the British accent? How did he sound in the macadamia nut commercial? Was he Higgins there (a la Hawaii connection)? Anyone recall?

golf[/b]
I know in the Macadamia Nuts one he did "Higgins", and also in the "Brain Challenge II" one as well.

See the clips:

Brain Power II:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a6v6davnidU

Macadamia Nuts:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vRmDsVi13Y

(golf, I do believe I'm having your dream day at work. Sipping margaritas at my desk while posting on Magnum Mania)

Vendors rule!

:lol:

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Doc,

I found the "At Long Last Love" scene with him and Eileen Brennan on youtube too, and he was doing at the least a semi-Higgins, as I suspected, due to his being the valet/butler.

At Long Last Love - But in the Morning, No!

And, Doc,

If you HAVE to BE at work in the first place, then the dream day is posting on the MM forums and enjoying a margarita. The true dream day is sitting on the concrete slab in the tidal pool and sipping a margarita!!! Sigh . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."