6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 75

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by 308GTS »

Just watched this one again last night (3rd time). I actually quite like it, it has elements of the classic Magnum era, the scenes with TM and TC are very funny. Plus, we have the great Mac or should I say Mac ver 2.0 conning his way through the entire episode.

I also thought Maria was one great looking Chica!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

Magnum finally gets it on with a latina! The producers could have found a more attractive actress to play her though. But then it would have been tragic when Mac shoots her in self defense.
I just don't give a damn!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

J.J. Walters wrote:Magnum and Maria?! Talk about no chemistry, yikes!
Yeah, as I said to Hubby while we were watching it, she kinda reminds me of Michelle.
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I just looked up this episode in Aloha Magnum, and saw a note I'd made a few years back when Hubby and I were watching the series in syndication. It had struck me then as a probable re-write of an unused Rockford script.

For one thing, Magnum had just come back from a case in Oklahoma. Rockford (like James Garner) is from Oklahoma, and maintains ties there.

But also, it's exactly the sort of mistaken-identity mess that either Rockford's pal Angel or his nemesis Freddie Beamer get Rockford mixed up in by impersonating him. I just betcha Mac's role here was originally written for either Angel or Freddie!

True, there were no chopper pilots among the Rockford regulars, but it could have been that Jim's potential clients wanted him to be able to drive their semi, and Rocky was trying to teach him how. Then later on, Rockford and Angel/Freddie could have escaped in the bad guys' car, rather than airplane. Those substitutions could be made without affecting the essence of those scenes at all.

By the way, I had a similar Rockford-retread reaction to "The Hotel Dick." I'll post something on that thread tomorrow.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cha Cha DiGregorio! I knew I recognized her from somewhere!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Cha Cha who??? You had me there, James! But Google to the rescue.

I see that Cha Cha DiGregorio was "a minor, but totally vital character" in the 1978 movie Grease.
Carol

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by AmandaByNight »

I LOVE Cha Cha but never made the connection. She really owned Grease in her big number at the school dance.

I really love this episode. In some ways it's all over the map, but it's SO wild and fun. The shootout is friggin' amazing and I love the ending with the plane landing.

Cha Cha 4ever!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, it's funny, I've always had this nagging feeling like I knew her from somewhere, but could never put my finger on it. I looked at her credits a while back, but nothing jumped out at me. I must have completely missed the Grease credit. The IMDb has an interesting bit of trivia about her in Grease.
During the Thunder Road sequence in Grease, she was experiencing terrible pain due to a tubular pregnancy. This explains why she is frequently seen leaning against the cars. She received leave from her doctor to shoot the scene and upon finishing it, she was rushed to the hospital for surgery.
:shock:

Also interesting is that her appearance on Magnum P.I. was her last credited film or television role.

I hated Grease for most of my life, but my wife has slowly swayed my opinion over the years.

"Brusha, Brusha, Brusha"! LOL! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by steveadl »

A lot of funnies in this episode - I liked it, though yes it was a bit 'Arnie-esque' at time. But hey, I love Arnie as well! :D

'I secured the cash.'
'I liberated it...'

"I hate that word!"

LOL :D

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

What a weird episode! It does have some funny stuff from Higgins, though. The Alamo line is one of his funniest ever. Does anybody know if this is the highest body count for a single episode?

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by steveadl »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:What a weird episode! It does have some funny stuff from Higgins, though. The Alamo line is one of his funniest ever. Does anybody know if this is the highest body count for a single episode?
Biggest body count would have to be either this episode or 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen'. Anyone done a count of either episode? :D

Tuan Vu
Captain

#42 Post by Tuan Vu »

Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Actually, all of the men in the photo were part of the same television news team in Hawaii for many years and all of them made appearances on Magnum, p.i. at one time or another.

Bob Sevey, the man on the far left, was known as the "Walter Cronkite of Hawaii" and was lead anchor. Next to him is Joe Moore, who first was a sportscaster, but today is anchor of the #1 nightly news in Hawaii. Tim Tindall, the man on the far right, was also one of the news anchors.

burny
Commander

#43 Post by burny »

Tuan Vu wrote:Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Actually, all of the men in the photo were part of the same television news team in Hawaii for many years and all of them made appearances on Magnum, p.i. at one time or another.

Bob Sevey, the man on the far left, was known as the "Walter Cronkite of Hawaii" and was lead anchor. Next to him is Joe Moore, who first was a sportscaster, but today is anchor of the #1 nightly news in Hawaii. Tim Tindall, the man on the far right, was also one of the news anchors.
Joe Moore played the radio station manager in season 4's "The Look"

Tuan Vu
Captain

#44 Post by Tuan Vu »

burny wrote:
Tuan Vu wrote:Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Joe Moore played the radio station manager in season 4's "The Look"
Yes, bruny, that is correct. He also played the minister in "Resolutions" and the driver who gets conned in "The Basket Case".

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Excellent

#45 Post by nha trang »

I rated this episode a 10.0, which goes against my instincts, as I DO feel that the only 10.0 episodes should be the pre-scientific philosophical assumption episodes, shall we say, the essence of MPI, as I've said in other threads, like the best early book by your favorite author or the best album (the doors) by your favorite band. The Martin Heidegger vs the world of pop-psychology...The young, formative Thomas Magnum running a test of security on the Robin Masters' estate with two of the sexiest foreign blonde extras possible...at least in my world of metaphysical possibilities...

Season 7 is kicking ass and taking names, I haven't put in a review in a while but I intend to as I eventually have the pleasure of running through the episodes again...

Magnum having to fly the plane, yes, his "Solo flight" is quite archetypal to me, the archetypal concept being, in my opinion, something that contributes to the draw of MPI...in the existential sense. Am I the only one who has spent too many hours in his youth imagining the same? Incidentally, I recall a young barefooted bank-robbing scoundrel on the run in Florida landing a plane at quite a tender age, so I definitely have faith that TM could pull this off, particularly after his series of lessons from none other than Theodore Calvin.

TC, Rick, Higgins, The Mag, and the Mac impersonator, how subconscious by the way, this episode along with season 7 makes up for some of the last season or two flops. Not only does it make up for the flops, but this is the camaraderie that the series demands to be revealed...how Hegelian of me Higgins hehe

I wondered how the old Masters' estate would hold up to a proper attack, and compared the "the big blow", at least some attempt is made at proper self defense. However, the idea of defending against such an intrusion with revolvers is somewhat absurd. I don't think I'd have built a "bunker" of desks in Higgins' study if all I had to defend it with was revolvers. However, Magnum does show his killer SEAL instincts in the encounter and I like that compared to the big blow (although I also like that episode just not the logistics).

And maybe it's only me, but I find the mexican actress to be attractive and quite typical of the ridiculous portrayal of mexicans (among other things) during the time period. Except that she tried to kill TM and that crosses the line :-)

10.0 and what a pleasure to be back watching MPI...

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone