6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 75

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by steveadl »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:What a weird episode! It does have some funny stuff from Higgins, though. The Alamo line is one of his funniest ever. Does anybody know if this is the highest body count for a single episode?
Biggest body count would have to be either this episode or 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen'. Anyone done a count of either episode? :D

Tuan Vu
Captain

#42 Post by Tuan Vu »

Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Actually, all of the men in the photo were part of the same television news team in Hawaii for many years and all of them made appearances on Magnum, p.i. at one time or another.

Bob Sevey, the man on the far left, was known as the "Walter Cronkite of Hawaii" and was lead anchor. Next to him is Joe Moore, who first was a sportscaster, but today is anchor of the #1 nightly news in Hawaii. Tim Tindall, the man on the far right, was also one of the news anchors.

burny
Commander

#43 Post by burny »

Tuan Vu wrote:Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Actually, all of the men in the photo were part of the same television news team in Hawaii for many years and all of them made appearances on Magnum, p.i. at one time or another.

Bob Sevey, the man on the far left, was known as the "Walter Cronkite of Hawaii" and was lead anchor. Next to him is Joe Moore, who first was a sportscaster, but today is anchor of the #1 nightly news in Hawaii. Tim Tindall, the man on the far right, was also one of the news anchors.
Joe Moore played the radio station manager in season 4's "The Look"

Tuan Vu
Captain

#44 Post by Tuan Vu »

burny wrote:
Tuan Vu wrote:Here is a bit of trivia: The newscaster broadcasting the shooting of T.C. was real-life and long-time newscaster Bob Jones. Here he is, third from the left: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/daily ... 51V2_b.jpg. Today he writes a weekly column concerned with mostly political current events in Hawaii in a weekly publication called "Mid-Week".

Joe Moore played the radio station manager in season 4's "The Look"
Yes, bruny, that is correct. He also played the minister in "Resolutions" and the driver who gets conned in "The Basket Case".

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Excellent

#45 Post by nha trang »

I rated this episode a 10.0, which goes against my instincts, as I DO feel that the only 10.0 episodes should be the pre-scientific philosophical assumption episodes, shall we say, the essence of MPI, as I've said in other threads, like the best early book by your favorite author or the best album (the doors) by your favorite band. The Martin Heidegger vs the world of pop-psychology...The young, formative Thomas Magnum running a test of security on the Robin Masters' estate with two of the sexiest foreign blonde extras possible...at least in my world of metaphysical possibilities...

Season 7 is kicking ass and taking names, I haven't put in a review in a while but I intend to as I eventually have the pleasure of running through the episodes again...

Magnum having to fly the plane, yes, his "Solo flight" is quite archetypal to me, the archetypal concept being, in my opinion, something that contributes to the draw of MPI...in the existential sense. Am I the only one who has spent too many hours in his youth imagining the same? Incidentally, I recall a young barefooted bank-robbing scoundrel on the run in Florida landing a plane at quite a tender age, so I definitely have faith that TM could pull this off, particularly after his series of lessons from none other than Theodore Calvin.

TC, Rick, Higgins, The Mag, and the Mac impersonator, how subconscious by the way, this episode along with season 7 makes up for some of the last season or two flops. Not only does it make up for the flops, but this is the camaraderie that the series demands to be revealed...how Hegelian of me Higgins hehe

I wondered how the old Masters' estate would hold up to a proper attack, and compared the "the big blow", at least some attempt is made at proper self defense. However, the idea of defending against such an intrusion with revolvers is somewhat absurd. I don't think I'd have built a "bunker" of desks in Higgins' study if all I had to defend it with was revolvers. However, Magnum does show his killer SEAL instincts in the encounter and I like that compared to the big blow (although I also like that episode just not the logistics).

And maybe it's only me, but I find the mexican actress to be attractive and quite typical of the ridiculous portrayal of mexicans (among other things) during the time period. Except that she tried to kill TM and that crosses the line :-)

10.0 and what a pleasure to be back watching MPI...

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#46 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

"South American mafia?" Since when Mexico is in South America, Higgins? Shame on you! :oops:

Also, although Mac v2.0 speaks good Spanish, he manages to get the singular of "federales" wrong. It's "federal", not "federalee".

Higgette
Ensign

Re: On the Fly (7.15)

#47 Post by Higgette »

I admit to some confusion on this one - when the police are en route, why would Magnum and Maria - if she were a Mexican Federal agent - leave? And how would Higgins explain their departure? When hiding out, why did Magnum tell Rick he was gong to Mexico but insist to Maria he was not? Was she really a Federal agent? Either way she certainly seemed cold about her partner getting killed...

I thought she was really pretty. But their liaison didn't seem to fit...unless it was to show how far she'd go to manipulate him.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#48 Post by Doc Fred »

lutherhgillis wrote: Watch the Federalie witch in the final scenes before Mac (Jim Bonnick, Joe Travis, Father Jim Hiller, Noel Thompson, Trany Oliva, or whatever the heck his name is) offs her. Her hair is suddenly teased and puffed out to the max. What a hag!

This broad is a dog.
Different tastes, I guess.. I thought she was super hot...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

#49 Post by Doc Fred »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Jim Bonnick (or however he spells his name).... I wish they'd have had a sequence where TC takes him into a room by himself, and work him over... then let Thomas take over, and finally Rick.

If I had been Thomas, I'd have shoved him out of the plane from 2000 feet over the ocean... well, not really, but would have liked to have done it.
Last edited by Doc Fred on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Stelth »

Sanitized for your protection.
Last edited by Stelth on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Fred
Admiral

#51 Post by Doc Fred »

Is there ANYTHING Higgy can't do?

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#52 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Higgette wrote:I admit to some confusion on this one - when the police are en route, why would Magnum and Maria - if she were a Mexican Federal agent - leave? And how would Higgins explain their departure?
Yes, I wouldn't like to be in Higgins' shoes trying to explain to the police how he defeated a whole private army on his on with the only help of a revolver.

Unfortunately Annette Cardona (Maria) died in 2011. Funnily enough this Magnum episode was the last credit ever to her name.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Milton Collins »

I thought this was a great episode!! Very unique and different and Jim Bonnick is always a treat in my book. What a shootout at the estate, that was soooo cool!. Loved seeing Higgans blasting Valez's men away with his old school shooting style, cracked me up. Also loved the scene where Higgins is celebrating with the air workers in the tower, (does anybody really say hip hip horay? I guess Higgins does lol.) Overall a really enjoyable episode.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a pretty good episode. It blended some comedy in with the action and drama pretty well. It was also interesting to see Magnum wanting to pick up a steady job so far from Hawaii.

The part I didn't totally enjoy was Magnum's landing the plane played mostly as comedy. I wouldn't mind some comedy thrown into it, but it seemed to be going for an Airplane like feel to it. It was also kind of hard to buy Mac pulling off that whole deal in Mexico by himself. The scenes where Magnum and Maria were alone at the hideout seemed awkward to me, but not bad. I think the chemestry was perhaps not as strong as other characters had in the series.

I think this episode had one of the better shoot outs of the entire series when they were caught at Robin's Nest by the drug cartel. The dogs being at the groomer and the extra ammo not being moved back to the main house yet were good comedy devices that didn't take away the seriousness of the scene. It was also interesting that TC was shot by mistake and the build up to that realisation. Mac not mentioning he was shot the day before until he was passing out was classic Mac too.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#55 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

It was pretty clear from the start that "Mac" was the one who impersonated Magnum.

I was not prepared for the revelation that the latin babe was really a crook.

And her demise mere seconds later really caught me off guard.

Not a bad episode. I would put it in the upper quartile of episodes.