5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 75

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: On the Fly (7.15)

#51 Post by Doc Fred »

Is there ANYTHING Higgy can't do?
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#52 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Higgette wrote:I admit to some confusion on this one - when the police are en route, why would Magnum and Maria - if she were a Mexican Federal agent - leave? And how would Higgins explain their departure?
Yes, I wouldn't like to be in Higgins' shoes trying to explain to the police how he defeated a whole private army on his on with the only help of a revolver.

Unfortunately Annette Cardona (Maria) died in 2011. Funnily enough this Magnum episode was the last credit ever to her name.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Milton Collins »

I thought this was a great episode!! Very unique and different and Jim Bonnick is always a treat in my book. What a shootout at the estate, that was soooo cool!. Loved seeing Higgans blasting Valez's men away with his old school shooting style, cracked me up. Also loved the scene where Higgins is celebrating with the air workers in the tower, (does anybody really say hip hip horay? I guess Higgins does lol.) Overall a really enjoyable episode.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a pretty good episode. It blended some comedy in with the action and drama pretty well. It was also interesting to see Magnum wanting to pick up a steady job so far from Hawaii.

The part I didn't totally enjoy was Magnum's landing the plane played mostly as comedy. I wouldn't mind some comedy thrown into it, but it seemed to be going for an Airplane like feel to it. It was also kind of hard to buy Mac pulling off that whole deal in Mexico by himself. The scenes where Magnum and Maria were alone at the hideout seemed awkward to me, but not bad. I think the chemestry was perhaps not as strong as other characters had in the series.

I think this episode had one of the better shoot outs of the entire series when they were caught at Robin's Nest by the drug cartel. The dogs being at the groomer and the extra ammo not being moved back to the main house yet were good comedy devices that didn't take away the seriousness of the scene. It was also interesting that TC was shot by mistake and the build up to that realisation. Mac not mentioning he was shot the day before until he was passing out was classic Mac too.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#55 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

It was pretty clear from the start that "Mac" was the one who impersonated Magnum.

I was not prepared for the revelation that the latin babe was really a crook.

And her demise mere seconds later really caught me off guard.

Not a bad episode. I would put it in the upper quartile of episodes.

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#56 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Pretty dreary going. I gave it a 7 because it has a few good things, but still probably my least favorite ep. of season 7.

By the way, Karen Black is in "Airport '75," not the first one as TM says in his narration.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

J.J. Walters wrote:Cha Cha DiGregorio! I knew I recognized her from somewhere!

I read another user here said she looked ashen and grey in these scenes this episode. I know that's also the case for other darker-lit scenes this latter part of the show ("A Girl Named Sue" has a bit of the same problem in the warehouse scene). As I'm sure the color saturation and stuff changed as the series went on, the DVDs don't help sometimes, even between episodes close in order.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Little Garwood »

I think many otherwise-attractive women looked worse during the 1980s than they did before or even many years after that decade--and it only got worse the deeper into the '80s one got. The big hair, squared, large-shouldered, form-obscuring outfits so popular in the second half of that decade did very few women any favors. The Kona Wind's Cynthia Sikes is a prime example of this. She looks much better twenty-plus years after her MPI appearance.

The '70s had its fair share of wretched styles--primarily mens styles--but for the most part, womens fashions weren't so bad. The 1980s, however, did no one any favors!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Little Garwood wrote:I think many otherwise-attractive women looked worse during the 1980s than they did before or even many years after that decade--and it only got worse the deeper into the '80s one got. The big hair, squared, large-shouldered, form-obscuring outfits so popular in the second half of that decade did very few women any favors. The Kona Wind's Cynthia Sikes is a prime example of this. She looks much better twenty-plus years after her MPI appearance.

The '70s had its fair share of wretched styles--primarily mens styles--but for the most part, womens fashions weren't so bad. The 1980s, however, did no one any favors!
I think the only people on Magnum who got out relatively unscathed (other than the main four) were the guest stars in seasons one and two, as the period was still shaking off the 70s, and before the big hair and power suit trends of the 80s really took hold.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#60 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I cant believe nobody has mentioned Magnum eating a strangers sandwich in the plane, literally when he thinks he might die attempting to land this plane and he's sweating like crazy and clearly nervous haha. Priorities I mean a mans gotta eat. One of the funniest parts ever for me.
That reminds me of the time....

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

There was talk on here earlier, I believe, about this script originally being intended as a Rockford episode, with Rockford for Magnum, Angel for Jim Bonnick, etc. so I can definitely imagine Rockford eating said sandwich in that situation more than Magnum, but it's still pretty funny. :lol:

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by Gatchaman »

Was Magnum always in to comic books?
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Gatchaman wrote:Was Magnum always in to comic books?
More often, we heard about Magnum's love for detective novels and film noir, but I can see the love for comics as part of his making up for growing up early from the war, etc. Also, detective comics would definitely appeal to him. More understandable than him trying to read War and Peace "in peace" in "The Return of Luther Gillis". :P

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#64 Post by Gatchaman »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
Gatchaman wrote:Was Magnum always in to comic books?
More often, we heard about Magnum's love for detective novels and film noir, but I can see the love for comics as part of his making up for growing up early from the war, etc. Also, detective comics would definitely appeal to him. More understandable than him trying to read War and Peace "in peace" in "The Return of Luther Gillis". :P
Good point! I bet he was into Batman comics, but for copyright reasons couldn't show or mention them.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

davko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#65 Post by davko »

I totally loved this episode! It was so fun, fast-paced and hilarious. The siege on Robin's Nest was clearly a homage to the final shown in the Al Pacino classic SCARFACE with Mexican drug cartel invading a mansion spraying uzi machine guns wildly and missing everything. "Where are the dogs Higgins?" was such a funny moment because the boys are always patrolling Robin's Nest leisurely and when they're REALLY needed for once they are off having a grooming session LOL. I also found the gangster who is shot and falls onto the piano funny, the musical notes when his head hits the piano was a nice touch.

I found the seduction scene quite sexy actually. All the talk of how to eat pizza etc, and how they quite quickly forgot all about the pizza haha :) I thought she was a hot babe too.

Some of the stunts were very impressive too, like Thomas jumping on the plane as it is taking off. Some of it was worth of those mid-80s action movies.

But the landing the plane bit was my favourite. Loved how patronising the helping guy was ("Tommy!") and when Higgins showed up OMG. "Hip Hip Horray!!!!" as TSM is crashing due to lack of brakes haha.

It's an interesting episode because it's one of the closest times I think TMS has been in truly mortal danger (these Mexican gangs are not to be messed with) yet it strikes a very comic tone.