6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 75

layne
Vice Admiral

#21 Post by layne »

Miss Q wrote:Well I am a bit naïve, sadly….

I did think it ended with the kiss, however the next morning TM does have to wake her up (if I had just slept with him I would sleep like the dead too). Also he does say ‘Last night doesn’t change anything’.

This leads me to another question.... Does he sleep with Digger? That episode ends with her comfortably on top of him on the couch....
If you had just slept with him you would have slept like the dead? lol.. I'm the opposite...I wouldn't have slept a wink! :wink:

I agree that he slept with her. But to me that whole thing didn't really fit into the storyline. It seems like they just threw that in at the last minute. I guess I didn't see the chemistry between the two up until that bottle of wine! And yes...he slept with Digger IMO as well. I think he probably was quite the busy guy in the bedroom. Although much of it was implied.

Carmen
MPI

#22 Post by Carmen »

Anyone notice that while riding in the back of Mac's car rummaging through his stuff, TM is waving the gun around with his finger on the trigger?
Well yes, N1095A. Wasn`t that cause he had to control this Emilio or whatever his name was guy. He sat right behind him to watch him while Rick drove.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by lutherhgillis »

Watch Rick's hair length and style change from the beginning of the epi when they are in TC's hospital room when it is short and parted on the side. The rest of the episode shows his hair as longer and parted in the middle.

Watch the Federalie witch in the final scenes before Mac (Jim Bonnick, Joe Travis, Father Jim Hiller, Noel Thompson, Trany Oliva, or whatever the heck his name is) offs her. Her hair is suddenly teased and puffed out to the max. What a hag!

This broad is a dog. I hope the Mag gargled with kerosene after his lapse of judgement with her...

All in all, this is one of the worst episodes for me. Totally unbelievable from start to el conclusion. They were doing pretty well up to TC getting shot and Magnum figuring out that he was the target. After that, it is all down hill.

I bid 'hasta leugo' to this forgetable episode.

Vyan con Dios...

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#24 Post by Rutledal »

This episode features two rare slow motion shots. First when Magnum kills a bad guy with a shotgun at the estate. The second when the plane takes off, and the one car crashes in to the other and flips over.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#25 Post by N1095A »

Carmen wrote:
Anyone notice that while riding in the back of Mac's car rummaging through his stuff, TM is waving the gun around with his finger on the trigger?
Well yes, N1095A. Wasn`t that cause he had to control this Emilio or whatever his name was guy. He sat right behind him to watch him while Rick drove.
Sorry, I hadn't been to this thread in a while. Yes, you are correct in the reason he had the gun, but finger on the trigger is improper gun handling. Not TM's first offense in this and certainly not the last.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Well… I didn’t care for ‘Murder by Night’, but I like this one. I seem to be going against most people’s likes / dislikes at the moment! :oops:

[rating=9.5]

T.C. is shot while teaching Magnum to fly, leading Magnum to uncover that it was a case of mistaken identity, and that a Mexican Mafia King is actually after HIM – and “Mac” (mk. II) is wrapped up in the middle of it all. I personally really like this one…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

I seem to be out of step with my MPI likes and dislikes at the moment – the previous episode, ‘Murder by Night’, many people seem to love, whereas I wasn’t really overwhelmed; similarly, this episode, ‘On the Fly’, doesn’t seem to be that popular, but personally I really like it.

It sees the return of Mac mk. II, a.k.a. Jim Bonnick, who hasn’t appeared in the series for quite a while (in fact, his last appearance was ‘The Love-For-Sale Boat’ back in the fifth season; he didn’t appear in the sixth season at all).
Some people don’t like the second incarnation of Mac, but I have to say, generally I find him good value for money – whenever he appears, he’s up to no good, and causing no end of trouble for our hero.

Another reason I like this episode is that it has a lot of action – latter episodes of the show’s run were often toned down action-wise, becoming more action-driven, but this one has some very action-packed sequences. Although I wouldn’t necessarily like to see this level of action in each and every episode, I do like it in this story. (I particularly like the siege / shootout at Robin’s Nest – surely one of the most bloodthirsty sequences of the show’s run!)

The only moment I’m not too keen on was the inevitable kissy-kissy sequence between Magnum and Maria – I feel that there is very little chemistry between the pair, and it just gets in the way of the overall plot.

But generally, I find this to be an underrated episode – it has a number of good twists to the plot, some good character moments, and as mentioned above, some good action sequences.

The latter portion of the story, with Magnum and the badly wounded Mac stuck up in the air, in an aircraft that Magnum can barely fly, is one of the things that most stuck in my head about the seventh season until I came to re-watch it on DVD.

So all-in-all, although some don’t like it, I find this to be a very good (and underrated) episode. I guess at the end of the day, a lot of it is down to how much you like the second incarnation of Mac.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Another case of the DVD version having abridged act breaks – they do it just to annoy me!! :lol:

* When the car is chasing alongside the airplane just before it takes off, you can clearly see the roll cage inside the car, to stop the roof folding in when it turns over moments later.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#27 Post by J.J. Walters »

I had a sneaking suspicion that you would like this episode Jay! This episode almost has an "A-Team" feel to it. ;)

Here you go, this is for you my friend...

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

James J. Walters wrote:I had a sneaking suspicion that you would like this episode Jay! This episode almost has an "A-Team" feel to it. ;)

Here you go, this is for you my friend...

Why thank you very much!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Frodoleader »

This episode is memorable to me for Rick's amazing/changing hair cut: his hair is shorter in the earlier scenes and gets longer later in the episode!

:P
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Little Garwood »

The whole episode was "half baked." Even Mac II's (welcome) appearance seemed contrived and the scenes of the Estate shootout--with its Peckinpah slo-mo deaths, bad guys charging into the line of fire was just so 80s, and I mean that in a bad way. Also, the "love" scene between Thomas and Maria was forced and unnnecessary; I was embarrassed by their lack of chemistry! When Maria's rubbing TM's shoulders, TM looks uncomfortable! And check out some of Maria's closeups in that scene: she looks ashen and gray! Blechh!

I voted "Not so good."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by 308GTS »

Just watched this one again last night (3rd time). I actually quite like it, it has elements of the classic Magnum era, the scenes with TM and TC are very funny. Plus, we have the great Mac or should I say Mac ver 2.0 conning his way through the entire episode.

I also thought Maria was one great looking Chica!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

Magnum finally gets it on with a latina! The producers could have found a more attractive actress to play her though. But then it would have been tragic when Mac shoots her in self defense.
I just don't give a damn!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

J.J. Walters wrote:Magnum and Maria?! Talk about no chemistry, yikes!
Yeah, as I said to Hubby while we were watching it, she kinda reminds me of Michelle.
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I just looked up this episode in Aloha Magnum, and saw a note I'd made a few years back when Hubby and I were watching the series in syndication. It had struck me then as a probable re-write of an unused Rockford script.

For one thing, Magnum had just come back from a case in Oklahoma. Rockford (like James Garner) is from Oklahoma, and maintains ties there.

But also, it's exactly the sort of mistaken-identity mess that either Rockford's pal Angel or his nemesis Freddie Beamer get Rockford mixed up in by impersonating him. I just betcha Mac's role here was originally written for either Angel or Freddie!

True, there were no chopper pilots among the Rockford regulars, but it could have been that Jim's potential clients wanted him to be able to drive their semi, and Rocky was trying to teach him how. Then later on, Rockford and Angel/Freddie could have escaped in the bad guys' car, rather than airplane. Those substitutions could be made without affecting the essence of those scenes at all.

By the way, I had a similar Rockford-retread reaction to "The Hotel Dick." I'll post something on that thread tomorrow.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cha Cha DiGregorio! I knew I recognized her from somewhere!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!