2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 84

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#31 Post by Doc Fred »

N1095A wrote:Priceless moment at the end. Higgins in a gorilla mask! I laughed out loud (honestly) at higgins' voice coming from behind the mask he thought was so immature in the past. Probably still thought so, but his wearing it reinforced the fondness for TM we knew was there all the long.
ABSOLUTELY!!
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#32 Post by Doc Fred »

Rutledal wrote:In "Resolutions part 2" you noted that shots of an exposed breast can be seen twice. I'm not a hundred percent sure, because the image quality was kinda poor, but I believe that is the case in this episode too. Except it's only one shot.
When they first enter the strip club there is a shot of a big breasted dancer with a clear tan line, just making sure you know which one I'm talking about, then there is a shot of the guys and then we return to the dancer, who in this shot pulls down her bra, or top, I'm not completly sure if it actually qualifies as a bra. Well anyways I'm fairly sure that she reveals enough of her breast for it to be a "no-no" on a syndicated show.

Also could you put some Han quotes in the quote section, preferably his wolf speech??
Regarding the "tan line", there's an expression an old friend of mine had many years ago regarding money and finances, but it applies here also - "If you can't put your hands on it, it isn't worth a damn."

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#33 Post by Doc Fred »

Italian Ice wrote:Everytime I see James Hong, all I can think about is when he was the owner of the Chinese Restaurant on Seinfeld.

Seinfeld?? Four !!
I will always remember James Hong as the late Gen. Trau in Chuck Norris' "Missing in Action". As I recall, he was kill number one for CN in the film.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#34 Post by Doc Fred »

AmandaByNight wrote:What I liked most about this episode was how 40 held this huge weight (as it does for many of us) and then at the end when he's on the phone with his mom he says something like, "It's no big deal. I just turned 40."

It had a lot impact on me the last time I watched it. I get all those anxious feelings, and I hope they sort of wash away when the moment comes. This episode captured so much of what I am feeling. Crazy and awesome all at the same time!
For me, it was 30 that was devastating... the end of youth.... I was down and mopey for a month before and after #30. 40 wasn't even a thought, nor 50, 60 or 70. The one that's really going to hit me is 90. :D

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Forty (7.17)

#35 Post by Doc Fred »

I very much enjoyed this episode... as most of you did...

And Linda Lee.... Wow... HOT! HOT! HOT!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: 40

#36 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Doc Fred wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:You know, the thing about this episode (other than Patrice Martinez... :wink: ) that really got my attention, was TC's behavior. When they wanted to go to the strip club, I had to admire TC and his desire to avoid such a place. While I am no prude, places like that never interested me. Good man TC!
I'm with you, Frodo... TC is portrayed as a very stable, conservative and moral guy, and I like that. Maybe I'm saying that because, like you, I never went to places like that...
As I understand it, though I agree he's the most mature of the trio, he's not hesitant because he's conservative but rather because it reminds him of Viet Nam and it stirs things he'd rather not stir.

Changing the subject, is TM's mother clinically depressed or something? She always sounds as if she's about to break into tears, even when she's saying the most trivial thing. I don't know if it's a coincidence but they tend to do this a lot on MPI, the whole trembling voice thing when they want to show how good-hearted a woman is. Maybe it's just hammy acting.

Anyway, I really can relate to this episode, down to his mum complaining because she can never reach him.

Louise
Captain

Re: 40

#37 Post by Louise »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:
Frodoleader wrote:You know, the thing about this episode (other than Patrice Martinez... :wink: ) that really got my attention, was TC's behavior. When they wanted to go to the strip club, I had to admire TC and his desire to avoid such a place. While I am no prude, places like that never interested me. Good man TC!
I'm with you, Frodo... TC is portrayed as a very stable, conservative and moral guy, and I like that. Maybe I'm saying that because, like you, I never went to places like that...
As I understand it, though I agree he's the most mature of the trio, he's not hesitant because he's conservative but rather because it reminds him of Viet Nam and it stirs things he'd rather not stir.

Changing the subject, is TM's mother clinically depressed or something? She always sounds as if she's about to break into tears, even when she's saying the most trivial thing. I don't know if it's a coincidence but they tend to do this a lot on MPI, the whole trembling voice thing when they want to show how good-hearted a woman is. Maybe it's just hammy acting.

Anyway, I really can relate to this episode, down to his mum complaining because she can never reach him.

That's just Gwen Verdon's normal voice, she's always had that quaver in her voice. She's a Hollywood and Broadway legend, so I doubt it's hammy acting! :o

In this clip, she starts speaking at about 00.25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J_k33Ijz1w

And Magnum's Mom strutting her stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w5tRzTrqrA

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#38 Post by marlboro »

David Lo Pan, Lt. Chapman, the sexy chick from the Three Amigos, and Higgins in a gorilla mask? What more could you ask for? A big hootered stripper, you say? Well, this episode has you covered, my friend:

Patrice Martinez was extremely sexy in this; I certainly wouldn't mind kissing her on the veranda. IMDB says that she played the receptionist in Beetlejuice. I did not know that.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, you've been blazing through these episodes at a frenzied pace, marlboro man. It's all Magnum, all the time for you right now. I've really enjoyed your episodes reviews. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#40 Post by marlboro »

Thanks!

I'm hoping to finish up season 7 before I have to go back to work tomorrow night. It will probably be another week before I wrap up season 8. I meant to take my time going through the series, but I'm hooked. ;)

Wonderful site by the way. You've done a heck of a job with it.
Last edited by marlboro on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#41 Post by marlboro »

Does anybody think that this would have been a good episode to wrap up season 7 (and the series) with?

I don't think it's a top ten episode or anything, but it is very solid and has everything that a good episode of Magnum needs: camaraderie, humor, action, mystery, and a hot babe.

It isn't an episode that resolves a lot of longstanding plot threads, and I think I kind of like it more because of that. There had been a big push to make Magnum more "mature" in the later seasons. "Resolutions" has Magnum become more mature by rejoining the navy. "Forty," on the other hand, has Magnum accept getting older gracefully, without making huge life altering changes. At the end of the episode Magnum is a little older, and a little wiser, but you get the feeling that life will go on for he and his friends much like it always has. Living in paradise, doing a job you love, and bringing a little justice to the world with the best friends a man could ask for - that's a pretty good life. And one I'd like to imagine Magnum has been living since the show went off the air.

EZiller
Captain

#42 Post by EZiller »

The shot when TSM picks up Linda Lee's earring and the camera pans her up, as his eyes would, from her high heels, black nylons, slit dress, cleavage and then that incredible face is just incredibly hot. Magnum meets a lot of beautiful, sexy women but I don't recall another time when he's been so clearly mesmerized. I would guess that they intentionally picked someone who hide a slight resemblance to Michelle-part Asian, dark hair, similar figure. [My preference is Linda Lee] TSM and Linda really do seem to have some chemistry and he seems much more interested in her than Cynthia Farrell. I recall that when Cynthia asked if he was married he said yes-at least he thought of himself as being married although he technically wasn't, etc. With Linda Lee, he thought a second, then just said no.

Besides the romance, a great script. The turning 40 angle was good, as was the battle with Costa, the gun dealer who is also romantically involved with Linda Lee. I really enjoyed Higgins trying to be coyly deceptive with Magnum when he catches him looking through his stuff to get stuff for his surprise party. Hillerman is such a good actor that he can insist that he isn't preparing for a party, yet he lets us know that he knows that Magnum has it figured out and keeps a wry smile on his face while proclaiming that Magnum is wrong. And the bit with the replacement of the $2 bill is priceless.

9.5 And Patrice Martinez is a Top Ten MPI babe!

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#43 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I both did and did not like this episode. It was a really strange one for me.

My main problem was that they turned Magnum into a stalker. He went after a few stalkers in the course of his PI days so he should've known better to let himself act this way. It was really alarming to me. He also dismissed the case he was hired to do when it seemed like it was a friend whom was in legitamate trouble. This doesn't sound too much like Magnum. He outright said in his narration that he wasn't working on the case so he could follow this broad around. The thing that struck me about the party was Higgins was the one to try to return the $2 bill, but at no point in the show would he have known about it to go looking. Was something edited out to explain why he'd searched?

I liked the whole missing $2 bill storyline. I can see Magnum being one minded and focused on recovering it even to the dismissal of clients. It was also one of the more surprising moments when Magnum suddenly found himself in the middle of a shootout between the guy he was after and the cops. When pairing this with Resolutions it's odd that Higgins made a point that they had "dated" when it didn't seem like they were together more than a couple of days and part of that she was more in "client" mode for him than girlfriend. Plus Magnum seemed disgusted by her actions at the end which makes it odd that he flew back so suddenly to help her, but perhaps he was recalling the initial stalking part of the relationship. Linda Lee's beaten up face was one of the more convincing ones on TV I thought. It looked painful.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re:

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Carmen wrote:I`m confused here. Think they kind of missed a day in the plot.
Magnum told Lee he found her earring "last night" when they have coffee together. But after the night with Rick and T.C. where he lost his 2-dollar-bill (day 1)we saw him following Lee, doing the surf ski race, watching her again and so on(day 2), and then he woke up 7.00 a.m. cause Higgins turn on the music in his livingroom (day 3) and it was then when he meet her again in Chinatown and had coffee with her. Am I wrong or they?? :shock: :?
I was confused by this also, but assumed that Magnum fell asleep during the day 'cause maybe he was up all night?

Watched this over the weekend as I celebrated by 40th. Seems like several of us came to this episode while hitting the mark. Great episode. Nice casting. I love how James Hong mixes in Cantonese mutterings into his speech when he's talking. It creates a cool effect and makes him more believable.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#45 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

Is it just me or did it seem like Magnum was a little tough on the babe at the end? He was mad at her because she decided to get the scoop after all? Isn't that kind of her job? And isn't it even more commendable when reporters pursue dangerous stories?

This might have something to do with the fact that Magnum does not hold the media in high esteem (not unjustifiably). It probably goes back to Magnum's Vietnam experience but Magnum's disdain for the press features prominently in "Death and Taxes" and "Heal Thyself."