5%
5.0 (Just Awful)
5%

Total votes: 88

Sperry
Lieutenant

Re: Out of Sync (7.19)

#41 Post by Sperry »

I did feel sad that they didnt get together and it served as a little personal reminder of all those missed opportunities over the years.

That said if I never heard that Cynthia saxaphone again it would be too soon!!!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#42 Post by K Hale »

Doc Fred wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
I always looked at it like a Higgins/Agatha situation. She was willing, and he was otherwise engaged.
Well, she surely was in favor... I don't remember the name of the episode or the season, but in one episode Higgy said to Agatha that he planned to marry, and she assumed it was her... only to be heartbroken when she found out it was Lady Somebodyorother... that was one of the saddest things I saw in the whole series.
It was, but she didn't give up. In the ep just prior to this one, in fact, she's finagled him into reading romantic poetry with her when Magnum doesn't show up to do it. I like to think of Agatha as slowly chipping away at him. :lol:

This weird episode is dreadful, IMO... just all over the place with people acting strangely. Someone upthread questioned why Higgins would be excited about Magnum and Cynthia marrying. In that whole scene I thought he was either about to get Magnum to do something for him or in some way pull the rug out from under him. Of course that didn't happen. And I have no explanation for Rick and TC going so far out of their way. I guess they were all just happy their friend was apparently marrying a nice girl? It just feels so anticlimactic. Nor did they ever really seem like they had anything going. So awkward.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#43 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

"People spend the night all the time." Wow, Magnum was tripping over his words multiple times. I thought this was pretty realistic, especially the kitchen scene with the mispronounced relax. That scene was the best! You saw them both cracking up and it just worked out great. I've been in those situations where you are trying your best to make it work but the more you speak, the more confusing things get. Magnum blew it this time. He made his girl feel so bad when she thought she would stay in the guesthouse. I guess he was too afraid to show that he cared, hence the commitment theme. He definitely didn't want to go to LA to see her, so if it was going to work out later it was going to be on his terms. Sometimes younger people are much better at just saying what's really on their mind instead of beating around the bush.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by T.Q. »

One of my lowest rated episodes bordering on just awful.

Can’t stand it.

Every scene and conversation is awkward to the nth.

Even the sax music annoys me. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by charybdis1966 »

I can’t add much to this only to reiterate my main thoughts as per LA - isn’t Dana Delaney so sweet looking ?
It is was a different way of telling a story and I always applaud attempts to be different.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by ENSHealy »

Italian Ice wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:51 am …TM supposedly turns down yet ANOTHER pay cheque.
Does he turn down the paycheck? I don’t think so, we just don’t get to see it being handed to him because he is still (unknowingly? confusedly?) pointing the gun right at the guy holding the check, so they all put their hands up.
Jay-Firestorm wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 pm * I don’t think he is credited, but is the guy on the beach at the beginning Bob Minor (Roger E. Mosley’s stunt double, and who has parts in several episodes?).
I at first also thought it was Bob Minor, but looked closer and saw that it was someone different, and the credits say that the “first man in film” was Manny Perry. Google Manny Perry and it’s clearly him.
MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:29 pm I always wondered why was Higgins so thrilled that Thomas was possibly getting married? Did he think they would get married and leave the estate or that they would stay at the estate and he liked the idea of having a woman live there?
My theory has always been that Higgins is so happy because in his mind it means that Thomas is truly, finally, “growing up” by getting married. BTW, you have far and away the best username on the forum!
Doc Fred wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 am I had always thought Magnum was going to end up with Maggie Poole.... I might be the only Magnum fan who thought that, though.
I don’t know if I ever thought it, but I certainly hoped it. Actually, what I really hoped is that I would end up with Maggie Poole.
SignGuyHPW wrote: Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 amWhy wouldn't Magnum have called Rick or TC to get picked up rather than run all over the island?
He also says he’s going to call the police and have them pick him up, and then we still see him running all over the island before borrowing (?) the moped. Given that TM usually treats Island Hoppers as his personal chopper service and time was of the essence, wouldn’t you think he’d have dialed up T.C. for a quick hop back to Cynthia? I guess they really needed that Dumb and Dumber prequel scene.
Sperry wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:25 pm That said if I never heard that Cynthia saxaphone again it would be too soon!!!
I agree, but for probably a different reason. Drum & Bugle Corps is a pretty niche activity, so I wouldn’t be surprised if nobody on here had ever even heard of it, but in 1988, the Blue Devils, from Concord, CA, played Since I Fell For You. (It starts at the 11:15 mark in that link.) They were undefeated the whole 1988 season until the group I was in, the Madison Scouts, from Madison, WI, surprised them in the last two shows of the year, winning the 1988 World Championships . (You can skip to 2:45 in that video.) The Blue Devils won a ton of championships, and in my mind they were an arrogant bunch of S.O.B.s, so Since I Fell For You just grates on my ears throughout this episode and L.A.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 7.19 Out of Sync

Famous guest stars: .5 Dana Delany - half-point for future fame
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum:
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum):
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
4th wall breaks: 4
Magnumometer: 6.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/727084311

How did he get untied from the chair?

Watching this episode gives me nostalgia for pay phones.

I believe this has already been covered in some detail, but Navy’s last game in 1966 was against Army on November 26, they lost 20-7, and the quarterbacks on the roster were three dudes named Phil Bassi, John Cartwright Jr and Ken Pease.

At this point we know TM is a little sketchy on gun handling safety basics, but he cocked the gun while it was pointed at Higgins.

Was that too much time breaking the 4th wall? Talk amongst yourselves.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by charybdis1966 »

ENSHealy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:32 pm EPISODE: 7.19 Out of Sync....Was that too much time breaking the 4th wall? Talk amongst yourselves.
I can see your dilemma Ensign, to me a 4th wall break is either a glance or a brief stare at the camera. In this episode TM addresses the camera for at least 4 times directly and that doesn't quite look like a usual 4th wall break. I remember watching this the first time round (in the '80s) and speculating that he was talking to someone (maybe even just a random stranger who merely happened to be sitting at the same table as TM), the camera was a POV shot and at the end we'd get a shot of the person who TM had been talking to.

Alas, I guessed that one all wrong.