6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 76

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:... you might want to update your Profile to show that you ... live in Honolulu. (Just click on the Profile button under the Magnum Mania logo at the top of this page, then scroll down to "Location:" and type in "Honolulu.")
Oh, dear, I didn't say to end by clicking the "Submit" button at the bottom of the "Edit your Profile" page, did I? Sorry, Tuan Vu! You'll need to type in your location again, but once you click the "Submit" button, "Honolulu" will show on all of your posts (even the old ones), just like mine say "Indiana, USA" over at the left.

And if you do see something that would be of interest to us mainlanders, please do post a photo!
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#42 Post by nha trang »

This really was a good serious episode. I did wonder why they decided to use the Alzheimer's plot though. The theme that comes out, and the ending with TM on the beach reading the poetry made me wonder if it was all to tie in with how the entire MPI universe was created from the writer's mind. It really was touching in that light.

Also, the blond maid is the hottest blond in the show's run since the pilot...lol

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by steveadl »

nha trang wrote: Also, the blond maid is the hottest blond in the show's run since the pilot...lol
Totally agree! :wink:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I've read through all the post here and I was surprised to see how many people liked it. I thought for sure it would be universally panned as a stinker! For some reason, I just couldn't get into the story. It felt more like a Murder She Wrote episode than Magnum. I can see how the subject matter is poignant, but because this character is so new to us I didn't really care. The plot was so thin (old rival somehow in Honolulu stealing a script, etc.) that it just seemed like a protracted PSA for Alzheimer's.

There were some good moments, but they mostly seemed like a collection of ideas that had nothing to do with the story. The exchanges with the hot maid...wtf? Did the rest of that tangent end up on the cutting room floor?

I rated this one "Pretty Bad," but maybe it depends on the mood your in when you see it. I was looking forward to an exciting Magnum case and ended up with "A Very Special" episode.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Waterbug Blue »

I really like it for some of that realistic acting on the side lines... I do not quite see how the 'hot glances' exchanged by Magnum and Lani should have invariably led to a kissing scene, but rather enjoy the attention to detail in this production ... the 'flirt' (from her side - Tom looks torn between interested and helpless, but not really hot for her) starts with Magnum being served TWO scones . Then, of course, there are the glances ... do watch him and Lani as, for example, she gets the chair for Agatha, or him sitting there behind his heap of food whilst the conversation is going on ... that's a classic! About as good as, say, the wedding cake disaster in 'I do.' It is these little things that make watching and re-watching so enjoyable!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Waterbug Blue wrote:I do not quite see how the 'hot glances' exchanged by Magnum and Lani should have invariably led to a kissing scene, but rather enjoy the attention to detail in this production ...
It kind of sets you up for that if you're a regular watcher of the show, because it never happens. If it were, say, Mike Hammer it would be normal because that happens all the time. But despite his sex symbol status off the set Magnum was never really portrayed as a ladies' man on the show.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Waterbug Blue
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Waterbug Blue »

Exactly!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#48 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

wilko wrote:On reflection, I was somewhat surprised that Higgins did not reprimand Lani for showing Dennis Parker all the way into the house when they were having tea without checking first to see if Phoebe wanted to see him.
Well, Lani was Phoebe's employee, not Higgins'. It would have been out of character for him to reprimand her.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#49 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

As for Magnum's family tree, he clearly says she's married to his uncle. He says something to the effect that everyone in the family was shocked when proper, staid Uncle Sully married an eccentric like Phoebe.

One thing that dawns on us in this episode is how carelessly Magnum makes his friends break the law on an ongoing basis by doing unlicenced detective work, although I'm not sure if you're technically breaking the law if no one is really paying you.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaximRecoil »

I think it's funny that Magnum's father married a woman whose last name matched his own middle name, and his father's and grandfather's middle name:

"Sullivan" is Magnum's mother's side of the family (established in "Forever in Time"), which means that his mother's maiden name is Sullivan.

Magnum's name is Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV. So Magnum's mother—maiden name: Katherine Sullivan—married Thomas Sullivan Magnum III.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by Doc Fred »

Shermy wrote: My favorite moment occurs when Magnum notices that Phoebe has rearranged the furniture in the study. We then see Higgins sitting at his backwards desk, having resigned himself to simply accept the change. :lol: This also leads to a great exchange between Selleck and Hillerman, where they manage to convey understanding using nothing more than a cigar box. When those two guys were 'on', it was really hard for anyone else on the show to compete.
Yes, the more I watch the shows, the more I realize there was a great connection between Magnum and Higgins, despite the bickering that occurs... There's mutual respect, mutual admiration, although they don't always like to show it. But, when the need is there, they're there for each other.... a friend in need....
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#52 Post by Doc Fred »

SelleckLover wrote:They should have had Katherine Kelly Lang on more often. It looked as if she and Magnum had some "chemistry" there. LOL :D
I know I'd have very hard to have some chemistry with her... she was awesome.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by Doc Fred »

lutherhgillis wrote:Yea, Ms. Jones must have gone out for an annoyance break and a make me want to grit my teeth and hope to die refill...

:wink: :wink: :wink:
hahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Doc Fred »

Jaybird wrote:Katherine Kelly Lang plays the hot maid, Lani, in this episode. She is a soap star these days and as hot as ever.

I am disappointed that, after all the "come hither" glances she and TM exchanged there was no kissing scene. I guess it wouldn't have been in TM's character.
Well, we don't know what happened once the show ended... :)

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: The Aunt Who Came to Dinner (7.20)

#55 Post by Doc Fred »

Carol the Dabbler wrote: If Sully had been Magnum's father's brother, his last name would presumably have been Magnum, so apparently he was not. He could have been Katherine's brother (was her maiden name ever mentioned?), but not necessarily.
I might be mistaken, but I believe I remember Magnum's mother's maiden name being mentioned as Sullivan. And, yes, Phoebe would have been married to Magnum's mother's brother. I think that's pretty clear to me.