6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 69

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by Rutledal »

When I think about his whole name is of course mentioned in Resolutions part 2, at his wedding.

wilko
Captain

#32 Post by wilko »

Here's another flub...........

When Magnum and TC are speaking to Rick in the visitors room, Rick mentions that the food in the jail is better han what they had in Dac Huey but Rick was never in Dac Huey, only TC and Magnum (Did You See the Sunrise). Rick joined the team AFTER and he replaced Cookie who died in Dac Huey.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice find wilko. I've added it to the episode guide.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

I swear I remember something like this in another episode. Something that, again, Rick said about something that occurred before he met up with Thomas and T.C. Does anyone else remember this?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#35 Post by Doc Ibold »

golfmobile wrote:I swear I remember something like this in another episode. Something that, again, Rick said about something that occurred before he met up with Thomas and T.C. Does anyone else remember this?

golf
I think you're right golf. Lemme marinate on this one for awhile.....

I want to say it happened in Season 4 or 5, once we have a more "established" Rick/Magnum? timeline.

I think you can start from "Did You See The Sunrise" to get the Vietnam timetable. (Ricks convoluted past notwithstanding).

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by Rutledal »

I have put some tought in to it and I'm pretty sure this is the first time "Rick's" middel name is given as Wilbur.
However as a contradiction, in "Deja Vu" T.C. asks the operator for Orville Rick Wrigth as if Rick was his given middel name.

Also, you mention that this is the seventh "Rick-centric" episode, but is it also the last?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#37 Post by Doc Ibold »

Rutledal wrote:I have put some tought in to it and I'm pretty sure this is the first time "Rick's" middel name is given as Wilbur.
However as a contradiction, in "Deja Vu" T.C. asks the operator for Orville Rick Wrigth as if Rick was his given middel name.

Also, you mention that this is the seventh "Rick-centric" episode, but is it also the last?
My take would be "yes"

If I was going to do a rundown, I'd classify it as the following:

Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts: Whole ensemble
Pleasure Principle: Higgins
Innocence A Broad: NA
Tigers Fan: Tanaka
Forever in Time: NA
The Love That Lies: Carol
A Girl Named Sue: Magnum/Carol Burnett
Unfinished Business: Magnum
Great Hawaiian Adventure Company: TC
Legend Of The Lost Art: NA
Transitions: Luther Gillis
Resolutions: Whole Ensemble

So, P vs. OW would be the last Rick-centric episode.

(Although I'm not the ultimate authority on this)

Kumara
Ensign

#38 Post by Kumara »

Hi Guys! 8)
It's Great I've found you!
I've a theory about that broken nose, and maybe you can confirm or decline it, please I'd like to hear from you all...
Have you noticed Rick got beaten up too? I can't recall if there was any explanation about that: was he beaten up in prison by other prisoners? Was a case of Police violence...? Was it that Tom Selleck and Larry Manetti got in some bad arguments, and Larry wanted to be out of the series? :twisted:
I know it's a long shot here, and maybe I'm totally wrong! but there are some strange hints in this episode... Possibly they just had a car or some small accident together: it would be interesting to know if there was some behind the scenes cause for these...

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#39 Post by Rutledal »

I re-watched this episode today and would like to withdraw my claim that this is the first episode where Rick's middle name is given as Wilbur. It's not. I am however sure that it's metioned prior to the series final.

Also during the shootout at Icepick's hide away where did Magnum get his gun from? He clearly states to T.C. that he didn't bring his own.
So I made a Topic Page about Magnum, P.I. Check it out here.

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by Rutledal »

One thing that allways has bothered me about this episode is the character of Det. Reggert, why didn't they just bring back Det. Gordon Katsumoto for one last appearance?

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Meh, just a so-so episode in my opinion.

[rating=7.5]

After Rick has gone to Ice Pick for some info to help Magnum on his latest case, a hitman is assigned to kill Ice Pick. Soon after, the hitman is found dead, and to Magnum’s amazement, Rick claims he did it. Not one of the better episodes…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

Although not the worst of the season (that goes to ‘Novel Connection’ in my opinion), I don’t care very much for this episode.
With such a notable story, of Rick being arrested for killing a hitman, using the word ‘average’ doesn’t seem very apt, but even so, I find the majority of the proceedings a rather routine, uninspiring fare.

I find the plot hard to really get into, and in many ways, find the whole “did he really do it” a retread of several earlier examples (the first season’s ‘Thicker than Blood’, involving T.C., springs to mind).

At the same time, this doesn’t quite rank as bottom-of-the-barrel material (there are a number of instalments from the weak fifth season to take that title over this ep).
Higgins deliberately interviewing unsuitable applicants to take over running the King Kamehameha Club while Rick is banged up is okay I suppose, but just doesn’t feel as funny as it should have been in my opinion.

The only thing of real note with this episode is the surprise, shock ending – after all has been explained and ironed out and Rick is set free, he is suddenly arrested and send to prison for possession of firearms! This is a very unexpected last-minute twist, and is the only thing that really stands out about this story.

All-in-all, far from one of my favourites. Thankfully, things pick up again with the memorable final episode of the season, ‘Limbo’.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Yet again, the DVD version abridges the act breaks; I personally find it quite distracting how one act goes crashing into the next.

* As with the previous episode, Kwan Hi Lim (Lt. Tanaka) is billed with the opening guest stars; more typically, he is billed with the additional guest performers on the closing credits.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

One thing I forgot to mention: In the U.K., before the days of the season-by-season sets, Universal Playback released a two-disk 'Magnum, p.i.' DVD.

It included the Pilot, 'Memories Are Forever', 'Black On White', 'Mac's Back' and ... this episode? As good as some people may find it, I wouldn't exactly count it as a 'best' episode - not to mention it finishing with Rick in prison, which isn't sorted out until the next episode.

In reality, these 'best of' sets seemed to be very much randomly picked episodes - for example, a similar 'Best of The A-Team' DVD had the terrible third season episode 'Champ!' on it.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:The opening scene of this episode shows Magnum being attended to for a broken nose, and rushed to the hospital. Does anyone know why the story called for Magnum to have a broken nose? I didn’t really see how that played into the episode. It was totally unnecessary. It was also distracting, watching Magnum walk around with that bandage on his nose for most of the episode.
As with TM's shorter hairstyle in "Solo Flight," I suspect there was some real-life reason for his nose bandage here. It's also possible that the injured nose is the vestigial remainder of an otherwise-deleted subplot -- if they'd already shot some "keeper" scenes with the bandage on, they'd have to deal with it somehow. In either case, the other characters couldn't just ignore the bandage, so they mentioned it, even though it didn't really add anything to the episode.

Rutledal wrote:... during the shootout at Icepick's hide away where did Magnum get his gun from? He clearly states to T.C. that he didn't bring his own.
Shortly after that, they knock out one of the guards, and Magnum takes the guard's gun.
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Rutledal wrote:... "Rick's" middle name is given as Wilbur.
However as a contradiction, in "Deja Vu" T.C. asks the operator for Orville Rick Wright as if Rick was his given middle name.
It's impossible to be sure with spoken dialog, but I interpreted TC's quote as being "Orville 'Rick' Wright," with quote marks around Rick, which is a common way (at least in the US) of indicating that his legal name is Orville, but he's commonly known as Rick.
Carol

Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#45 Post by Rutledal »

Yes, but the operator would not likely be familiar with Rick's nickname so it makes no sense for him to use it.