1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 69

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The People vs. Orville Wright (7.21)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The People vs. Orville Wright (7.21). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 4/1/1987
Rick just can't seem to catch a break when he is arrested for the murder of a hit man contracted to kill Icepick.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, what a completely unexpected cliffhanger ending! You are all set for a nice, happy conclusion to the events of the episode, then, wham, Rick gets hauled off to the state pen! Roll end credits. I like how the show did these kinds of things periodically ("Faith and Begorrah" anybody?). Expect the unexpected seems to be the show's mantra.

And T.C. struts his stuff again!

He should have had his own action figure. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

This episode also has one of my favorite pieces of Magnum narration.

Magnum: A cogent note about Walter Pidgeon, not the actor, my cousin Rainy's pet bird. One summer, Walter got out of the house, onto the deck. He would have flown away except there was a glass partition he couldn't get through. He kept trying and trying, but he kept hitting up against the glass. Now, two feet to the left, and two feet to the right, the partition ended, but he couldn't see the obvious, that there was a glass wall in front of him. The difference between me and Walter Pidgeon was I had finally seen the wall that Frank Foley had thrown up in front of me and I was taking two steps to the left to get around it ... (short time later) ... One last thought about Walter Pidgeon and the "glass wall". I'd always wondered what would have happened if old Walter had gone around the partition and found his freedom. What would he have done with it? Maybe it was better that he never knew what was beyond the wall?

Great stuff.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

James,
He should have had his own action figure.
EXCUSE ME?????

TCGI says, "What am I? Chopped liver?"

MGI is putting the Curse of the Hungarian Acrobats on you so that your Season 8 DVD package from Amazon will get lost in the mail for an extra two weeks.

golf :lol:
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! :D

I didn't mean to offend you TCGI. It's just, well, you weren't around in the 80s when we needed you. ;)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

Just an fyi - the location of Icepick's house in this episode is talked about in the Death of the Flowers (7.12) thread.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#7 Post by IslandHopper »

This was a good and entertaining episode. I liked the plot. I could see Rick trying to take the fall for Icepick since he considered him a father figure. Interestingly, I don’t see Rick taking the fall for Magnum , or TC if the situation called for it despite their bond created by their combat experiences. I know Rick has helped both Magnum and TC, and even J.J. Quincannon in “All For One.“ But, I don’t see him going to jail for a murder rap for anyone but Icepick. If wasn’t for Icepick, Rick wouldn’t have made it out of Chicago.

This is one of those episode where the whole gang pitches in to help a buddy (Rick), i.e., “No More Mr. Nice Guy,” “Underworld,” “All For One,” “This Island Isn‘t Big Enough,” and “Missing Melody” to name a few. Even Higgins helps in his own way.

At the request of the KKC Board-of-Directors, Higgins must interview prospective candidates to fill Rick’s manager position. In true “Jonathon Quayle Higgins” style, he lends an assist to Rick in his own subtle way. Higgins, very slyly steers away all of the qualified applicants, and refers only the most unqualified candidates to the KKC board, in order to keep Rick‘s job open for as long as possible in the hope that he resolves his legal trouble before the position is filled.

There is a great scene where Higgins is interviewing a woman for the position. She is woefully unqualified to manage the most prestigious private club on the islands. Her most relevant experience is working six months as the “night cashier at the Taco House.” The actress who played this applicant was great. Her northeastern accent, her delivery, everything was right on for that scene. When Higgins tells her that she is the number-one candidate, she gets so excited that she asks Higgins out on a date to the Taco House. Her treat. She says she has a way with “old guys.“ Great scene.

The opening scene of this episode shows Magnum being attended to for a broken nose, and rushed to the hospital. Does anyone know why the story called for Magnum to have a broken nose? I didn’t really see how that played into the episode. It was totally unnecessary. It was also distracting, watching Magnum walk around with that bandage on his nose for most of the episode. I just don’t know what the point of all that was. I hope it wasn’t just an excuse to set up the scene where Officer/Detective Reggert, runs after Magnum with the incident report in an effort to have Magnum sign it.

Flubs & notable items:

1. Right after Rick confesses to killing Marty Shea, you see TC working on his helicopter and Magnum driving up to tell him Rick is in jail. The right side of the tail section of TC’s chopper reveals a new registration number. The new number is N4943T. The registration number was previously N1095A.

2. When TC is visiting Rick in jail, Rick says “Did I ever tell you about my kid sister?” Of course TC knows about his kid sister. She was a mule for a Chicago drug dealer who was killed while she was supposed to be watching “Bambi” with Magnum (“Distant Relative“). I know Rick is distracted with a murder rap, but how could he forget that, or better yet, how could the writers forget that? I guess it was Rick’s cryptic way of saying he was taking the fall for Icepick.

3. The building depicted as the “Hawaii Metro Police” with the address of “465” is also used as different buildings in other episodes, such as a building called KEKUANAOA in “Luther Gillis: File #521.“ The name of the building changes, but the address number (465) remains the same.

4. Flub: After Magnum chases Frank out of the Bank building, the camera cuts to a shot of TC’s helicopter flying. It has the old registration number N1095A, not the new number we just saw a few minutes before (N4943T).

5. Flub: While TC and Magnum are in the chopper following Frank’s car, Magnum says “maybe you can find a place to set us down.” The camera then cuts to a shot of the chopper flying away from the camera, however, the skids are now the fat/thick skids rather than the skinny skids we saw in the previous shot. When the chopper lands near the cliff, the chopper has skinny skids again.

6. Flub: After Frank arrives at Icepick’s hideout, Magnum is looking down on them through a pair of binoculars. As he is looking, you see Icepick walk up to Frank’s car. You will hear a voice that is supposed to be Magnum say “wait a minute” as he is surprised to see Icepick alive (he thought he was dead). The voice does not appear to be Magnum’s or TC’s. It sounds like a voiceover by a different actor.

7. Flub: During the gun fight at Icepick’s hideout TC shoots Frank. As TC shoots Frank, Frank is firing his Uzi. You can see the flash/flame exit the barrel of the Uzi as Frank fires. However, as Frank gets hit he falls backward with the Uzi and stops firing (you can no longer see the flash/flame from the barrel of the Uzi). Despite the fact that Frank stopped firing the Uzi as he was falling backward the sound effect of the Uzi firing continued.

8. One of the two guards at Icepick’s hideout appears to be George Fisher who was the boxer in “Thank Heaven For Little Girls And Big Ones Too.”

9. The Ilikai Hotel and adjacent harbor area is seen in the opening overhead shot, and when Magnum meets Carol during lunch when he tries to solicit information about Rick. The hotel was also used in “A.A.P.I.”

10. Rick's house appears to be more of a condominium/town house in the Hawaii Kai area. It looks very similar to where my friends lived (Opihikao Place). Additionally, this house/town house in this episode doesn't appear to be the same house that Rick has in "Innocence, A Broad" (season Eight). The house in "Innocence, A Broad" seems more like a traditional house with a pool in the back.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Excellent review IH!
IslandHopper wrote:The actress who played this applicant was great. Her northeastern accent, her delivery, everything was right on for that scene. When Higgins tells her that she is the number-one candidate, she gets so excited that she asks Higgins out on a date to the Taco House. Her treat. She says she has a way with “old guys.“ Great scene.
Yeah, great scene. The actress is Maria O'Brien. She's guest starred in a lot of TV shows over the years.
IslandHopper wrote:2. When TC is visiting Rick in jail, Rick says “Did I ever tell you about my kid sister?” Of course TC knows about his kid sister. She was a mule for a Chicago drug dealer who was killed while she was supposed to be watching “Bambi” with Magnum (“Distant Relative“). I know Rick is distracted with a murder rap, but how could he forget that, or better yet, how could the writers forget that? I guess it was Rick’s cryptic way of saying he was taking the fall for Icepick.
I think Rick says this a couple of times during this episode. And I believe he asked this "question" in another episode (I want to say "Straight and Narrow", but I'm not positive). I don't think he's asking them because he believes they've never heard of his sister before. He's mentioning it (as a question) because he's proud of his sister and wants to talk about her. Kind of like an old story from childhood that you tell your friends over and over again - "Hey, did I ever tell you the time my pants fell down when I caught that fly ball in the Little League Championship game?" YES!! ;)
IslandHopper wrote:8. One of the two guards at Icepick’s hideout appears to be George Fisher who was the boxer in “Thank Heaven For Little Girls And Big Ones Too.”
Yep, I noticed this too! It certainly looks like him.

T.C.'s "Magical Flying Chopper" morphs all the time. They often dig deep into the stock footage. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#9 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks James. I looked up Maria O'Brien on IMDB. It looks like she had a pretty extensive career as a character actress. I knew I had seen her before.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok rubber chicken, I got one for you. This one will really test your "location finding" skills. Are you up for the challenge? .... Good!

[drum roll]

Rick's House!

[tick, tock]

:)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#11 Post by rubber chicken »

(gm link) :P

I couldn't find the name of the condominium complex, but it's just off the Kalanianole highway on Kawaihae street. (Maybe in Kuli'ou'ou?) He even has a dock, but I don't think his boat would be able to get there under the nearby bridge.

Hope you can make out all the lines.
Last edited by rubber chicken on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

:shock:

Get out of town! Are you kidding me!? Of all the two-story condo complexes in Oahu, how in the world were you able to zero in on this one?? Heck, you barely see Rick's house (condo complex, whatever it is) in the episode, so you don't really have much to work with!

It certainly does look like it could fit. Amazing rubber chicken, amazing!

:)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

Hahahahaha.....James,this cat is amazing.I knew he'd come up with the answer but I thought it would take more than 30 seconds. :lol:

As a side note,when MPI was shown on A&E.There was a guy who posted on the A&E board that was in 2 episodes.I don't know if he posts here so I'll withhold his name.

He mentioned that his place at a marina was used in an episode.He never said which one so I'm wondering if this was it.

eeyore,if you're reading this..I know what you're thinking.In the 2 shows he appeared in neither one involved the estate. :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#14 Post by IslandHopper »

Nice work RC. I always thought that Rick's place looked very similar to where my friends lived. They lived in Hawaii Kai, on Opihikao Place, on the water.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#15 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks guys, I surprise myself sometimes when doing this. You really wouldn't think that one could find some of these places with the few shots seen in the show, at least not in any timely manor. But I've been lucky so far that clues present themselves, and from there, as Sherlock Holmes might say, the rest is elementary.

This one went very quick actually, taking less than 20 minutes to find. The starting clue was the mountain or ridge in the background which appeared close, although it ended up not being the ridge closest to Rick's (another unseen ridge is quite close to his place). So I figured I'd start looking in southeastern Oahu where homes are built up into the valleys giving the most houses a close mountain backdrop. You can also see there aren't any mountains when looking towards Rick's house, so that was likely facing the sea. The main things to look for were the uniquely shaped dark roofs, and the roofs above the parking spaces. It's also a condo type complex layout which sets it apart from the more typical house properties in the area. Once you find something that looks right then there's countless small clues to help in conformation. (Another I didn't point out are the small trees coming up inbetween the two center parking structures, as seen in the upper right screencap.)

Rick's house is at the bottom of about the 5th valley over from the east end of the island so you can see why it didn't take very long, after choosing to start from there, which was a fortunate guess. All in all it's a fitting place for Rick to live, a bachelor pad type condo on the water. Perfect for impressing the ladies. :)

By the way, if I'm reading the permits right on the Honolulu city web site, that house in the background in the upper left picture appears to have been built starting on January 8, 1987, and finishing July 15, 1988. (This episode aired on April 1, 1987, implying that the show took less than - say - three months from shooting to airtime.) Isn't the internet cool?!