6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 111

Tuan Vu
Captain

#41 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode reminds me of the movie "Sixth Sense", in which a dead person walks among the living and only a child can see the dead person. I don't recall seeing anything like that in TV or cinema quite like that, and this episode of "Magnum, p.i." predates "Sixth Sense" by about 12 years!

Anyway, I wish I had watched all these Magnum, p.i. episodes when they originally aired some 25 years ago. Not only did "Magnum, p.i." have everything (action, mystery, drama, comedy, and even horror), but it also made you think about a lot of life issues. We see Magnum dealing with losses, failures, and ultimately his mortality, and through him (well, the show, really) I have learned a lot. More than just mere entertainment, "Magnum, p.i." had some deep and profound moments that will keep it in the hearts and minds of viewers for generations.

I am very curious to know when the writers decided to end the series with Magnum's death. It seems that to wrap up an entire series in one episode was just too quick. And it's not like the episodes previous to "Limbo" led up to the finale (or what was supposed to have been the finale).

Still, I am glad Magnum was brought back for an eighth season, not just because we get to have a few additional episodes (and good ones, I understand), but also because it leaves the door open for a "Magnum, p.i." movie.

By the way, does anyone know what is the obstacle to a "Magnum, p.i." movie? Surely there is the fan base that would support such a movie, as long as the original cast reprise their roles and a good story is told.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I have to agree that Limbo should have stunk, but somehow it doesn't. .... Thankfully, everyone came to their senses and gave us another season.
I think that is precisely what saves this episode from being tacky and/or corny. We are viewing the scenes that "should" have been tacky or corny within the larger context of Magnum's serious injury and eventual recovery, so those otherwise-tacky/corny scenes serve as a lighter change of pace within the temporarily-grimmer outer story.
Tuan Vu wrote:It seems that to wrap up an entire series in one episode was just too quick. And it's not like the episodes previous to "Limbo" led up to ... what was supposed to have been the finale.
I agree that "Limbo" seems awfully abrupt as a series finale. Even the shoot-out in the warehouse seems gratuitous.

Maybe the [temporary] decision to end the series was made when there was only one episode left to make, so they were forced to wrap up everything in just that one hour. Then they got the idea to end the series with Magnum's death, but rather than simply writing a typical episode and simply having him get shot at the end and die, they wanted to focus on wrapping up some loose ends (such as his relationship with Michelle & Lily). So the "death scene" occurs (rather hastily) right at the beginning. Looking at it that way, I could just about talk myself into thinking this would have been a tolerable finale
Tuan Vu wrote:By the way, does anyone know what is the obstacle to a "Magnum, p.i." movie? Surely there is the fan base that would support such a movie, as long as the original cast reprise their roles and a good story is told.
Movies these days all seem to be aimed at people in their teens and twenties. Presumably, that's where the money is. So movies are loud and fast-paced, with a lot of meaningless "danger" thrown in. (And of course the stars have to be under thirty.) Maybe "they" have enough sense to realize that they can't make a loud, fast, meaningless movie that would bear the slightest resemblance to Magnum -- but no idea how to resolve the dilemma.
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#43 Post by nha trang »

Obviously a classic episode, and a very good one. I'm glad that there is another season to look forward to, and one that I'm pretty sure I haven't seen already on tv growing up.

I really like the existential flow of the episode, the bar scene with Mac, even the shootout at the beginning. Though I would mention that the shootout at the beginning has a certain flow to it that reminds me of an episode where Magnum is trying to match wits with a video game, or at a basketball court etc...sans the Magnum voice over that scenes like that would have...I mean it lacks a certain gravity that I feel it should have had if it were indeed to have been the last episode. To me the shooting intro works better as a dream...like if the Mag had a recurring dream of getting shot in a warehouse. Magnum could have replayed it until it actually happened...aka using the little voice (I guess that's kind of like the episode with the psychic).

Plus, I don't see why Magnum made a break for the doorway right after he takes out the guy with the shotgun...who didn't seem that far away, I might have thought he'd take the shotgun and finish the other two off. Anyway, just my two cents.

I feel the lead up to the death of TC's friend in the mini-mart had more lead up to it than the lead character TSM getting waxed.

It was a really good episode though, even better considering that it wasn't the last episode, as then I would definitely feel a bit cheated. Still, I wish there had been 3 or 4 more MPI seasons...guess we have to be thankful for what we got though...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anybody know what kind of patch T.C. is wearing on his beret here?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

phantasm
Ensign

#45 Post by phantasm »

Magnum has always been my favorite show, in the 80's, and now. They just don't have the same feel or story line today like they did back then. The show always made you think, reflect on something that has to do with most people's lives. Limbo, sure made you think about what it might be like when you die, and the friends that would be there to support us, even in the most desperate of times. True friends, is always been the back bone of the Magnum storyline

phantasm
Ensign

#46 Post by phantasm »

Limbo's warehouse scene should have been done differently, for instance, after he took out the guy with the shotgun, why didn't he grab the shotgun, take cover, and take out the other 2 guys?? He was a trained military man, he could have easily taken out the other men. Anyway, just my opinion, also if they decide to make a movie, would they need to take up where season 8 left off at the wedding, or continue with Magnum and his daughter after he joined the Navy again!!

phantasm
Ensign

#47 Post by phantasm »

Does anyone agree with me that today's shows just don't have the same feel or appeal as they did back then. Growing up in the 80's there wasn't any internet like there is now to keep us entertained, no text messages, only quality tv shows that were well written, and the plots always had a message to them. I really wish todays writers would put the effort into their shows and give us what we want, "Quality" not the garbage we have on the air today

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by 308GUY »

Yep, I agree about the difference between today's tv and the era MPI was made and shown. Hard to really pin down what it is exactly, but it just seems MPI and others of the time, had a "presence" about them that most of today's shows don't have, at least in my opinion.

I'll be the first to say that one's perspective is the main determining factor in how things are perceived, but it would also be a real stretch to say that the shows of then and now are the same with new faces, just not the case, again IMHO.

Everything evolves from my experience. If it doesn't, it doesn't survive. General rule of thumb is, if you can't adapt, you perish. The world is different, so it just stands to reason that tv and most everything else is going to be also. However...it's been my experience that people don't change that much. Only their surroundings, and their experiences, hence their attitude and methods of dealing with them. Again, adapt or perish.

Just rambling here in response to your thought provoking question concerning the feel and appeal of today's entertainment. I think the bottom line might be that we have changed as much or more as what we call entertainment, therefore, it feels different than it did back then. Everything is perspective dependant.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

lanceroten
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#49 Post by lanceroten »

phantasm wrote:Does anyone agree with me that today's shows just don't have the same feel or appeal as they did back then. Growing up in the 80's there wasn't any internet like there is now to keep us entertained, no text messages, only quality tv shows that were well written, and the plots always had a message to them. I really wish todays writers would put the effort into their shows and give us what we want, "Quality" not the garbage we have on the air today

I agree. From Magnum p.i to The Fall Guy to The Dukes of Hazzard to Simon and Simon and on and on, those were truly great tv shows in moments. Maybe not for whole series runs but for certain episodes, they were great. Dallas, original version, as well. Now I watch Dallas the TNT version and get a kick out of watching it but in no way/shape/form does it approach the quality of the original series overall. But the J.R. memorial episode is as good a Dallas episode, old or new, that i've ever seen. I miss the TV I knew growing up. I'm not a Survivor watcher, Idol watcher, Dancing with the Stars watcher. I hope one day, and things do run in cycles and repeat, that TV shows will return the way I knew them. But they gotta hurry, i'm 43 and not getting younger :D

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaximRecoil »

This was a very memorable episode for me as a kid; I watched it the night it originally aired. I seem to remember knowing at the time that it wasn't the end of the series though; knowing that there was going to be an 8th season, and wondering how they were going to bring him back from the dead. Knowing that sort of lessens the impact of this episode.

A few things:

• We finally get a look at the "Old Düsseldorf in a longneck" label (specifically stated to be "Old Düsseldorf in a longneck" by Mac), and unfortunately, it is just the same "Beer" brand label (which was a blatant ripoff of the Coors label of the time) that they used throughout season 7:

• In season 8's "Resolutions" (part 2), Rick's full name is stated by the clergyman performing his wedding ceremony to be "Orville Wilbur Wright III". The middle name "Wilbur" may have been mentioned in some other episode(s) as well. However, in this episode, Rick's birth certificate shows his name to be "Orville Richard Wright", which explains where his "Rick" nickname comes from:

Given that we are seeing the ultimate form of official ID (a birth certificate, which is the fundamental form of ID used to obtain other forms of ID), and we know it is authentic in the context of the MPI universe because it is being held by the assistant DA and was used to overturn a conviction; this means that in the context of the MPI universe, Rick's legal name is in fact "Orville Richard Wright", and any references to the middle name "Wilbur" are errors.

• In the season 7 episode "Straight and Narrow", Magnum specifically says that Robin Masters' Audi has an automatic transmission, which is why he is able to drive it despite his injured ankle:
Leslie Emory: But what about you? You can't drive.
Thomas Magnum: I'll take the Audi, it's an automatic.
In this episode, the Audi has a 5-speed manual transmission, with the printed shift pattern on the shift lever knob, the clutch pedal, and the act of actually shifting (from 5th to 4th gear) being clearly seen:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by 308GUY »

MR: You guys never cease to amaze me! I don't know how you get all those screen captures, but a pro-editor could NOT do any better!

Maybe you work in the film industry?

Why can't we get folks like you working to fix this country? Anybody that has that much attention to detail and patience to post his findings, would HAVE to be able to figure out what needs to be done better than the guys supposedly working on it now.

Anyway, thanks for posting, always enjoy seeing the new things that have been picked out/up from our favorite series.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:MR: You guys never cease to amaze me! I don't know how you get all those screen captures, but a pro-editor could NOT do any better!

Maybe you work in the film industry?

Why can't we get folks like you working to fix this country? Anybody that has that much attention to detail and patience to post his findings, would HAVE to be able to figure out what needs to be done better than the guys supposedly working on it now.

Anyway, thanks for posting, always enjoy seeing the new things that have been picked out/up from our favorite series.
Yes, good work...My son was thrilled to see and Rick were born in the same Hospital!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

MaximRecoil wrote: • In season 8's "Resolutions" (part 2), Rick's full name is stated by the clergyman performing his wedding ceremony to be "Orville Wilbur Wright III". The middle name "Wilbur" may have been mentioned in some other episode(s) as well. However, in this episode, Rick's birth certificate shows his name to be "Orville Richard Wright", which explains where his "Rick" nickname comes from:

Given that we are seeing the ultimate form of official ID (a birth certificate, which is the fundamental form of ID used to obtain other forms of ID), and we know it is authentic in the context of the MPI universe because it is being held by the assistant DA and was used to overturn a conviction; this means that in the context of the MPI universe, Rick's legal name is in fact "Orville Richard Wright", and any references to the middle name "Wilbur" are errors.
Good eye! Didn't notice that before! Richard makes so much more sense than Wilbur! :)

So I guess the "III" is out, too? Is it on the birth certificate? I can't recall that ever being mentioned before either.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by MaximRecoil »

J.J. Walters wrote: So I guess the "III" is out, too? Is it on the birth certificate? I can't recall that ever being mentioned before either.
I can't see his father's first name (it ends in "rd", so possibly "Richard"), but his middle name is definitely "Dale", so yes, the "III" is out.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#55 Post by Doc Fred »

Doc Ibold wrote:I thought that was REALLY cool in that only Lily and the lads could actually "see" him, kind of like the popular notion that only children and animals can see ghosts.

And of course, Higgins taking care of Lily in the guesthouse was cool too, kind of like a godfather or something.....
Anyone who's really a believer in Jesus probably remembers Him saying the words "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” I see in Lily the child whose innocent belief lives within her, and who was given the ability to see her father. Whether intended or not, I see so much in this story about belief and faith in God.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...