1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 111

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Re: Limbo (7.22)

#31 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

[from Episode Note 4] The only major recurring character to not appear in this episode is Icepick; "Mac", Tanaka, Agatha, Doc Ibold, Carol, Maggie Poole, Buck Greene... they're all here. Most episodes only feature one or two major recurring characters.
Actually, James, you neglected to mention one other recurring character who was in this episode -- though I'm not entirely sure which one! Both Mac and "Mac" appeared (the latter only briefly).

Doc Ibold wrote:On Season 7, Limbo is (from what I can tell) the ORIGINAL broadcast version.
Doc, I assume you mean Season 7 on the DVD? Judging by Episode Note 2, the broadcast version IS the modified version, but the modifications were very slight:
[From Episode Note 2] After Season Eight was greenlighted, "Limbo" underwent some minor edits to reenforce the idea that Magnum is not really dead (Michelle's visit to the hospital). Still, some scenes couldn't be re-done or re-edited, namely the scene were everybody is at Robin's Nest dressed in black, and talking about Magnum in the past tense.
Doc Ibold wrote:I thought that was REALLY cool in that only Lily and the lads could actually "see" him, kind of like the popular notion that only children and animals can see ghosts.
Doc, I'm pretty sure it was just the dogs that saw him. In the guest-house scene, Magnum was hoping that Lily could see him, and for a second he (and we) thought she did, but it turned out she had only spotted his photograph. Unless there was a later scene where it seemed like she really did see him?

Seaver41 wrote:What struck me funny was watching the episode and everyone acting as if he were already dead. The scene at the estate where they are gathered and speaking of him. They were dressed for a funeral.......but he wasn't dead yet. Was this a goof up? Was the scene showing Michelle at his bedside added in?
Not exactly, and yes, respectively, Seaver, according to Episode Note 2 (see quote box above).
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Dan wrote:... considering that at this point the series has run seven seasons, it would seem more fitting to at least have a double episode to finish off... but of course, Season 8 is on it's way.
Right, Season 8 did turn this into a two-parter, with "Infinity & Jelly Donuts" pulling Magnum back to save Michelle. You could even think of it as a three-parter, since "Pleasure Principle" dealt with everyone eventually getting back to normal.
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Limbo (7.22)

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:Actually, James, you neglected to mention one other recurring character who was in this episode -- though I'm not entirely sure which one! Both Mac and "Mac" appeared (the latter only briefly).
Ah, yes. It appears that I was fooled by the old dead-recurring-character-making-a-non-flashback-appearance trick! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

You fell for THAT one again?!
Carol

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#35 Post by Agatha »

And maybe even four parts, Carol...although not consecutive...if you consider that Unfinished Business actually wraps up the loose ends of Limbo and Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts.

???

Also...I think there is a later scene where Lily sees Thomas...at least it looked like it to me. When Michelle comes back from her near-escape on the road and while she and Edward are talking, Thomas starts to walk away and Lily walks over to some trees and looks toward him through the trunks. It seems to me that they're seeing each other...in fact, I think Thomas acually smiles at her before he heads into the fog.

???? again.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Carmen
MPI

#36 Post by Carmen »

Also...I think there is a later scene where Lily sees Thomas...at least it looked like it to me. When Michelle comes back from her near-escape on the road and while she and Edward are talking, Thomas starts to walk away and Lily walks over to some trees and looks toward him through the trunks. It seems to me that they're seeing each other...in fact, I think Thomas acually smiles at her before he heads into the fog.
My opinion too
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I think you're right. I had been thinking of the scene in the guest house, where we got fooled for a second, but now that you mention it, I do hazily recall a later scene -- still nothing really conclusive, but the definite impression was that she saw him, or at least sensed his presence.
Carol

lanceroten
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#38 Post by lanceroten »

One of the best episodes of any TV series i've seen. Also helped me become a 17 year old John Denver fan in 1987 :wink:

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hi, lanceroten -- Welcome to the forum -- Good to have you here!
Carol

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

[
It is a bit surprising. But when you think about it, nothing about this episode should really work. Magnum only gets a tiny amount of screentime with the main characters. Rick's entire two-parter storyline is resolved in a few lines of dialogue. Magnum loses the girl...again. A series that was primarily known as an upbeat adventure show (almost) ends on a seriously depressing note. And to top it all off, the episode ends with Magnum walking off into the clouds! On paper, this should probably be one of the worst episodes of the entire series.

And yet...it just completely works.[/quote]

I have to agree that Limbo should have stunk, but somehow it doesn't. I guess in a way it does stink, though. I mean they killed Thomas Magnum!! What the hell were they thinking?? Thankfully, everyone came to their senses and gave us another season. This episode has some wonderful scenes; the opening shootout and Michelle's car chase are series classics IMHO. I would also like to know what the differences between the broadcast version and the syndicated version are? I saw the syndicated version 10+ years ago, but don't remember what was different. Anyway, it will be a while before I can watch this one again. Its just too damn sad!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#41 Post by Tuan Vu »

This episode reminds me of the movie "Sixth Sense", in which a dead person walks among the living and only a child can see the dead person. I don't recall seeing anything like that in TV or cinema quite like that, and this episode of "Magnum, p.i." predates "Sixth Sense" by about 12 years!

Anyway, I wish I had watched all these Magnum, p.i. episodes when they originally aired some 25 years ago. Not only did "Magnum, p.i." have everything (action, mystery, drama, comedy, and even horror), but it also made you think about a lot of life issues. We see Magnum dealing with losses, failures, and ultimately his mortality, and through him (well, the show, really) I have learned a lot. More than just mere entertainment, "Magnum, p.i." had some deep and profound moments that will keep it in the hearts and minds of viewers for generations.

I am very curious to know when the writers decided to end the series with Magnum's death. It seems that to wrap up an entire series in one episode was just too quick. And it's not like the episodes previous to "Limbo" led up to the finale (or what was supposed to have been the finale).

Still, I am glad Magnum was brought back for an eighth season, not just because we get to have a few additional episodes (and good ones, I understand), but also because it leaves the door open for a "Magnum, p.i." movie.

By the way, does anyone know what is the obstacle to a "Magnum, p.i." movie? Surely there is the fan base that would support such a movie, as long as the original cast reprise their roles and a good story is told.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I have to agree that Limbo should have stunk, but somehow it doesn't. .... Thankfully, everyone came to their senses and gave us another season.
I think that is precisely what saves this episode from being tacky and/or corny. We are viewing the scenes that "should" have been tacky or corny within the larger context of Magnum's serious injury and eventual recovery, so those otherwise-tacky/corny scenes serve as a lighter change of pace within the temporarily-grimmer outer story.
Tuan Vu wrote:It seems that to wrap up an entire series in one episode was just too quick. And it's not like the episodes previous to "Limbo" led up to ... what was supposed to have been the finale.
I agree that "Limbo" seems awfully abrupt as a series finale. Even the shoot-out in the warehouse seems gratuitous.

Maybe the [temporary] decision to end the series was made when there was only one episode left to make, so they were forced to wrap up everything in just that one hour. Then they got the idea to end the series with Magnum's death, but rather than simply writing a typical episode and simply having him get shot at the end and die, they wanted to focus on wrapping up some loose ends (such as his relationship with Michelle & Lily). So the "death scene" occurs (rather hastily) right at the beginning. Looking at it that way, I could just about talk myself into thinking this would have been a tolerable finale
Tuan Vu wrote:By the way, does anyone know what is the obstacle to a "Magnum, p.i." movie? Surely there is the fan base that would support such a movie, as long as the original cast reprise their roles and a good story is told.
Movies these days all seem to be aimed at people in their teens and twenties. Presumably, that's where the money is. So movies are loud and fast-paced, with a lot of meaningless "danger" thrown in. (And of course the stars have to be under thirty.) Maybe "they" have enough sense to realize that they can't make a loud, fast, meaningless movie that would bear the slightest resemblance to Magnum -- but no idea how to resolve the dilemma.
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#43 Post by nha trang »

Obviously a classic episode, and a very good one. I'm glad that there is another season to look forward to, and one that I'm pretty sure I haven't seen already on tv growing up.

I really like the existential flow of the episode, the bar scene with Mac, even the shootout at the beginning. Though I would mention that the shootout at the beginning has a certain flow to it that reminds me of an episode where Magnum is trying to match wits with a video game, or at a basketball court etc...sans the Magnum voice over that scenes like that would have...I mean it lacks a certain gravity that I feel it should have had if it were indeed to have been the last episode. To me the shooting intro works better as a dream...like if the Mag had a recurring dream of getting shot in a warehouse. Magnum could have replayed it until it actually happened...aka using the little voice (I guess that's kind of like the episode with the psychic).

Plus, I don't see why Magnum made a break for the doorway right after he takes out the guy with the shotgun...who didn't seem that far away, I might have thought he'd take the shotgun and finish the other two off. Anyway, just my two cents.

I feel the lead up to the death of TC's friend in the mini-mart had more lead up to it than the lead character TSM getting waxed.

It was a really good episode though, even better considering that it wasn't the last episode, as then I would definitely feel a bit cheated. Still, I wish there had been 3 or 4 more MPI seasons...guess we have to be thankful for what we got though...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Anybody know what kind of patch T.C. is wearing on his beret here?

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

phantasm
Ensign

#45 Post by phantasm »

Magnum has always been my favorite show, in the 80's, and now. They just don't have the same feel or story line today like they did back then. The show always made you think, reflect on something that has to do with most people's lives. Limbo, sure made you think about what it might be like when you die, and the friends that would be there to support us, even in the most desperate of times. True friends, is always been the back bone of the Magnum storyline