1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 111

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

Re: Limbo (7.22)

#81 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

This would've been a strong episode on which to end the series. And it was directed by Perry White, editor of the Daily Planet.

Was Edward Durant supposed to be a Frenchman or just an American guy living in France?

I'm depressed because there are only 12 more episodes to watch.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Milton Collins »

As I stated in my post for Infinity and Jelly Donuts, this episode is darn hard to watch. Magnum apparently dies and it also signifies that we're near the end of the show, totally makes it hard for me to watch! Nevertheless, this two parter is very very good and extremely well done. Some highlights:

- The opening scene starting with an action packed yet unexplained shootout still surprises me each time I watch this one. You get the feeling that Magnum is in deep trouble in this 3 on one gunfight. Love when he blows the frizzy haired sheep headed dude away! I share the same opinion with some others though that why wouldn't he have gone over and grabbed the dropped shotgun rather than making a run for it? Oh well, it had to happen to make the show work.

- It's a humbling thing to watch the Magnum "ghost" walking around seeing friends and family react to his death. I realize it's a TV show but it always makes me think about my own mortality. Again, the show does such a good job of making things seem realistic that it puts you in a certain mindset where it almost feels real.

- I have a really hard time seeing Michelle with Durant. First off, he seemed like a schmuck to me. Also it has bugged me since "Memories are Forever" in season 2 that they can't be together. I know that then the show wouldn't have been the same but my heart always went out to TM over Michelle because you knew he loved her so much. It's so hard in "Little Girl Who" to see her walk away and then he has to let her go again in this one. Between her and Diane DuPree (maybe he dodged a bullet there though lol) and a few others, can't this guy just catch a break with the ladies?

- It looks like the posts here are saying that we didn't know Magnum was going to come back for an 8th season when this aired? I'm so glad they did, I don't think killing him off would have been a good way to end the show.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#83 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote: - It looks like the posts here are saying that we didn't know Magnum was going to come back for an 8th season when this aired? I'm so glad they did, I don't think killing him off would have been a good way to end the show.
This is correct. Originally, the people involved with the show (Tom Selleck included) decided that it was a good time to end the series. Selleck wanted to be free to take whatever movie offers he liked rather than work those around his TV schedule. Limbo was filmed with the idea that it be the series finale. Killing off Magnum was a controversial idea, but Selleck was on board with it. Between the time they filmed and the time it aired there was a change of heart on the subject. It was decided that they would do one last season so that the people whom worked on the show (mostly the supporting occassional characters and production people) could be better prepared. This way they had an exact date of when their job would end so they could plan around it. Selleck agreed to it with the contention that they have fewer episodes in the last season which was shortened again by a writer's strike. CBS aired ads where Higgins, TC, and Rick held a seaonce during the summer to let people know the show was coming back and dealing with the death of Magnum.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote: - It looks like the posts here are saying that we didn't know Magnum was going to come back for an 8th season when this aired? I'm so glad they did, I don't think killing him off would have been a good way to end the show.
This is correct. Originally, the people involved with the show (Tom Selleck included) decided that it was a good time to end the series. Selleck wanted to be free to take whatever movie offers he liked rather than work those around his TV schedule. Limbo was filmed with the idea that it be the series finale. Killing off Magnum was a controversial idea, but Selleck was on board with it. Between the time they filmed and the time it aired there was a change of heart on the subject. It was decided that they would do one last season so that the people whom worked on the show (mostly the supporting occassional characters and production people) could be better prepared. This way they had an exact date of when their job would end so they could plan around it. Selleck agreed to it with the contention that they have fewer episodes in the last season which was shortened again by a writer's strike. CBS aired ads where Higgins, TC, and Rick held a seaonce during the summer to let people know the show was coming back and dealing with the death of Magnum.

Wow that's interesting! Thank you so much for the post, I love learning this kindve stuff. I was always under the impression that it was Selleck that wanted out so he could do movies and figured that everyone else probably wanted to keep it going as they wern't on the star level of Selleck. Not sure on that one but I received "Aloha Magnum" Larry Manetti's book in the mail yesterday and have just cracked it so I'm sure I'll be able to find out a lot more detailed information in there. Thanks SignGuyHPW!

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#85 Post by Orrymain »

I just watched this one again and I still love it. I do think it's a bit of a shame that they had a season 8. This ending was so wonderful. Even when it first aired, I thought it was just about perfect. Everything with Lily, Thomas saying out loud she was his daughter, and the bit with Higgens. Higgens bringing up the Robin Master thing always stood out to me and, of course, the big walk off with Magnum so in character as he refused to do what Higgens wanted. Just awesome, complete with the John Denver music.

In my mind, it really beats out the ultimate series finale. That ep had its moments, particularly with Magnum ending up with Lily, but I felt all the bits with the rest of the guys was not up to par and parts of it even disappointing. I definitely respect Tom Selleck's reasons for opting to do one more year, but part of me wishes he hadn't. Limbo was pretty much the ultimate ending.

Just my two cents.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#86 Post by ConchRepublican »

Orrymain wrote:I just watched this one again and I still love it. I do think it's a bit of a shame that they had a season 8. This ending was so wonderful. Even when it first aired, I thought it was just about perfect. Everything with Lily, Thomas saying out loud she was his daughter, and the bit with Higgens. Higgens bringing up the Robin Master thing always stood out to me and, of course, the big walk off with Magnum so in character as he refused to do what Higgens wanted. Just awesome, complete with the John Denver music.

In my mind, it really beats out the ultimate series finale. That ep had its moments, particularly with Magnum ending up with Lily, but I felt all the bits with the rest of the guys was not up to par and parts of it even disappointing. I definitely respect Tom Selleck's reasons for opting to do one more year, but part of me wishes he hadn't. Limbo was pretty much the ultimate ending.

Just my two cents.
I agree with you. I almost view season 8 as a "dream season". Limbo to me feels like the true ending of the series. It's one of my all time favorite TV episodes, darn near perfect IMHO.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sperry
Lieutenant

#87 Post by Sperry »

Probably going to request that 'Looking for Space' by John Denver is played at my funeral

Mourners will be scratching their heads though as nobody will have a clue to its reference!

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#88 Post by Orrymain »

It was the perfect song to accentuate the episode. I've always liked the song.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this for the first time last night and what a departure from the routine MPI episodes. There’d been enough previous episodes where suggestions of the supernatural and other-wordly experiences (Curse of the KCC, Woman on the beach, Flashback) but to see one exploring the after-life, mortality and letting go of earthly attachments was something I hadn’t expected – and all the better an episode it is for that too.

I don’t remember this in it’s original run as I was at University then and was more interested in drinking lager, going to rock concerts and occasionally studying for my degree but a twenty-something me would have found this episode too atypical to be of interest. However a 40 something me found this a moving and deeply felt story.

In parts I was reminded of “It’s a wonderful life”, with TM playing the Jimmy Stewart role of moving about scenes ignored by the other characters and talked of as being deceased. Like dit when the lads could see him and still growled at him - he just can’t catch a break with them even when he’s only there in ethereal form!

Another thing I liked was when in one scene the Denver song was playing and then it segued into the next scene with Higgins and Agatha and we think that it’s background music and then Higgy looks up and says to Agatha “What have you got playing?” and turns off the radio ! That made me laugh more than it should mainly as I’m no fan of country/soft MOR music (although I concede it probably was a very good choice considering the plot scenario).

There seems to be some confusion over whether this episode was transmitted knowing it was the last one ever or whether the eight season renewal had been decided by then.

Some of you feel TM being killed off would have been a downbeat way to end the series and Resolutions was a better end, however if you think Limbo was downbeat you should see how the classic British Sc-fi series Blakes 7 ended http://www.hermit.org/b7/Episodes/Reviews/Blake1.html. (the gang of good guys all got shot in an ambush by the villians after 4 series)

Overall, one of the best episodes of the series (even the presence of Carol Baldwin can't ruin this one), rivalling Home from the Sea in my eyes.

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#90 Post by Orrymain »

I agree totally that it was not downbeat at all. I normally detest shows that kill off beloved characters, but there was nothing down about this. Thomas was going off to a better place, free of all the worldly crap he'd lived with for a long time. He was going to be free and, in his mind, he was going to be with loved ones like his dad. I felt good, not bad, when the show ended. It was sad for Higgens and the others, but not for TM.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Milton Collins »

I absolutely love this one a 9.0 for me. I've posted detailed thoughts above so I'll spare you all a repeat but this just has so much emotion packed into it and gets to me every time, awesome episode!

Sperry
Lieutenant

#92 Post by Sperry »

Milton Collins wrote:I absolutely love this one a 9.0 for me. I've posted detailed thoughts above so I'll spare you all a repeat but this just has so much emotion packed into it and gets to me every time, awesome episode!
got to agree with some of your posts on this. i find it a difficult watch emotionally too.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#93 Post by ConchRepublican »

Stelth wrote:Why was T.C. wearing a beret in the first scene he's in? It's where everyone is in Higgins' office. It seems so random.

Was it Thomas' beret and he was wearing it to "feel closer to him"?
Good catch, I need to compare that with what Thomas wore in Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#94 Post by ☨magnum.t »

SOO many emotions wow great episode but I have to agree with those who say it just didn't have the completeness that we need in a series finale. The warehouse scene was superbly done, its as if we knew he was going to make it out the door, the audience is just as confident as TM is, and then BAM our jaws are left on the floor. Magnum says to Mac that it was a routine chore that he was picking up some chopper parts when he was ambushed. I think that's a classic situation for Magnum to be in, seems like everything that happed to him was sheer dumb luck, mostly good but sometimes bad. The beret thing has always puzzled me as its a black beret which at the time of this episode was worn by Army Rangers and an Army Special Forces crest "de oppresso liber" on a 1st Special Forces group flash. The symbolism there is crazy because 1st SF Group had the first and last Special Forces casualty of the Vietnam War.
That reminds me of the time....

Magnus NP
Ensign

#95 Post by Magnus NP »

TC's Hats would be a cool thread.