1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 111

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#61 Post by Doc Fred »

Agatha wrote:I had a similar experience when my Dad was in the hospital. He'd been having health issues for a year or so and then one evening his heart stopped. My Mom called the paramedics and they revived him but he wasn't himself and kept having emergency situations with his potassium levels and fluid build up, etc. The Chaplain came in one night and asked if I wanted her to pray for him. I said "Yes" and then she asked if I wanted her to pray for a speedy recovery or an easy transition. I didn't know what to tell her and then it hit me that what I wanted was what he wanted. So she prayed for him to know that we loved him and wanted him to do what he knew was best for him. He died the next morning. And the world is a differnt place without him. :cry:
Thanks for sharing... you brought back my memory of my mom who was unconscious and breathing her last in her hospital bed, but didn't pass until those she loved the most were all there to say our last goodbye's until we're all with God... Her breathing was so labored, so difficult, and it was clear the end was imminent. Everyone else went to dinner because no one knew how near the end was, but I stayed a few more minutes, held her hand and told her I loved her... something I don't remember having done as an adult (to my everlasting sorrow), then kissed her forehead, said a prayer and left. I was told she passed just a minute or two after I left, and I've felt since then that she was happy she'd been with her loved ones one last time and it was time to go... she could let go to be with Him... So similar to Magnum walking off at the end of "Limbo"....
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#62 Post by Doc Fred »

Agatha wrote: Also...I think there is a later scene where Lily sees Thomas...at least it looked like it to me. When Michelle comes back from her near-escape on the road and while she and Edward are talking, Thomas starts to walk away and Lily walks over to some trees and looks toward him through the trunks. It seems to me that they're seeing each other...in fact, I think Thomas acually smiles at her before he heads into the fog.

:)
Agatha, I was so positive of that when I saw it... no doubt in my mind. Maybe she didn't see him in her eyes, maybe she did, but it was totally clear to me that she at least sensed his presence. This again brings me to things Jesus said about having the faith of a child to get to Heaven... and in this case to "see" what others can not.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#63 Post by Doc Fred »

lanceroten wrote:One of the best episodes of any TV series i've seen.
I totally agree, and will go further to say it could be the best episode of the best series ever. In my opinion, it is.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Doc Fred »

phantasm wrote:Magnum has always been my favorite show, in the 80's, and now. They just don't have the same feel or story line today like they did back then. The show always made you think, reflect on something that has to do with most people's lives. Limbo, sure made you think about what it might be like when you die, and the friends that would be there to support us, even in the most desperate of times. True friends, is always been the back bone of the Magnum storyline
Great post.... and your last sentence is what the show was really all about..

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by Doc Fred »

phantasm wrote:Does anyone agree with me that today's shows just don't have the same feel or appeal as they did back then. Growing up in the 80's there wasn't any internet like there is now to keep us entertained, no text messages, only quality tv shows that were well written, and the plots always had a message to them. I really wish todays writers would put the effort into their shows and give us what we want, "Quality" not the garbage we have on the air today
I don't watch ANY of the "shows" that are now on tv... I've walked by when my wife may be watching something and take a quick look, but I haven't seen a hint in anything she had on that I'd like it... it looks like, as you said, garbage that's aimed at the lowest level... Thank goodness we have DVD's and many of the excellent classic tv series to look at.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#66 Post by Doc Fred »

lanceroten wrote:
phantasm wrote:Does anyone agree with me that today's shows just don't have the same feel or appeal as they did back then. Growing up in the 80's there wasn't any internet like there is now to keep us entertained, no text messages, only quality tv shows that were well written, and the plots always had a message to them. I really wish todays writers would put the effort into their shows and give us what we want, "Quality" not the garbage we have on the air today

I agree. From Magnum p.i to The Fall Guy to The Dukes of Hazzard to Simon and Simon and on and on, those were truly great tv shows in moments. Maybe not for whole series runs but for certain episodes, they were great. Dallas, original version, as well. Now I watch Dallas the TNT version and get a kick out of watching it but in no way/shape/form does it approach the quality of the original series overall. But the J.R. memorial episode is as good a Dallas episode, old or new, that i've ever seen. I miss the TV I knew growing up. I'm not a Survivor watcher, Idol watcher, Dancing with the Stars watcher. I hope one day, and things do run in cycles and repeat, that TV shows will return the way I knew them. But they gotta hurry, i'm 43 and not getting younger :D
How do you think I feel?.... I'm 72!

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#67 Post by Doc Fred »

MaximRecoil wrote:This was a very memorable episode for me as a kid; I watched it the night it originally aired. I seem to remember knowing at the time that it wasn't the end of the series though; knowing that there was going to be an 8th season, and wondering how they were going to bring him back from the dead. Knowing that sort of lessens the impact of this episode.
I could certainly be wrong after all these years, but I'm thinking we didn't know there'd be an 8th season until well after "Limbo" was aired. Somehow, I recall Tom Selleck agreeing to an 8th season due to the demand of the public, and CBS taking good care of him.... again, that could be just an old guy saying things that didn't happen...

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Limbo (7.22)

#68 Post by Doc Fred »

If there was a word better than "perfect", I'd use it for this episode... Absolutely fantastic.... and I echo all the wonderful comments everyone has submitted....

I hate to be saying anything less than the best about the show, but there was an editing flub that hasn't been mentioned. When Michelle and Thomas are in the car being chased by the bad guys, at the 41:40 mark there's a scene of them driving around an sharp turn... at 42:50, during the same chase, the exact same scene is shown again, but from a different camera angle... with the same skidding, the same guy leaning out the window with a gun, the same burning oil... VERY minor, but I thought the editor should have omitted one of the camera angles and perhaps used something considerably different.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re:

#69 Post by Doc Fred »

MaximRecoil wrote:In season 8's "Resolutions" (part 2), Rick's full name is stated by the clergyman performing his wedding ceremony to be "Orville Wilbur Wright III". The middle name "Wilbur" may have been mentioned in some other episode(s) as well. However, in this episode, Rick's birth certificate shows his name to be "Orville Richard Wright", which explains where his "Rick" nickname comes from:

Given that we are seeing the ultimate form of official ID (a birth certificate, which is the fundamental form of ID used to obtain other forms of ID), and we know it is authentic in the context of the MPI universe because it is being held by the assistant DA and was used to overturn a conviction; this means that in the context of the MPI universe, Rick's legal name is in fact "Orville Richard Wright", and any references to the middle name "Wilbur" are errors.
Rick got out of the slammer because of that technical error, but it surprised me that the feds didn't go after him again using the right name.... or some comment wasn't made during the show relatative to that.

Also, at the end of series 8, Rick walks the last mile with Cleo, and is about to be married... If Rick actually was able to get out "I do", and they were married, would the marriage be invalid if the clergyman had said "Do you, Orville Wilber Wright...."?????? ... in a similar way to him getting out of the joint?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Re:

#70 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Fred wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:This show is one of my all time favorite episodes in TV history. My sister and I watched it without realizing it was the series finale. I was spending less time home watching TV and more time out with "the guys".

Well, we watched, and as the shock of what was happening wore off we realized that they were killing Thomas off! We ran downstairs tears in our eyes telling our parents "put on Magnum! put on Magnum! They killed him! they killed him!" I was upset man, he was my hero (still is).

I am lucky enough to have taped that episode on rerun and have watched numerous times since then. I also took a very valuable lesson from this episode which helped me through very difficult time in my real life.

My wife was pregnant in 2003 and having a very difficult pregnancy. Finally, things went bad (of course when we thought we had turned the corner). We fought and struggled to keep the baby but it was not meant to be. After 12 hours in the hospital trying everything to hold off premature labor (inversion, an experimental drug which burned her skin, whatever we could), the doctors said there was no change, things would not get better.

Another 12 hours later, my wife still was there . . . 24 total hours first fighting, then waiting for the inevitable. It sounds silly, but then I thought of Thomas talking to Michelle "I love you . . . and I'm letting you go". I realized my wife wasn't letting go. As a mother she was fighting to save our boy. I asked everyone to leave the room and I spoke to her, and told her it was OK to let go. She can love him and let him go. It was the right thing to do, she did all she could.

15 minutes later she went into labor and it was over. He was here for 42 minutes, then he was gone.

That show, that episode helped me through the most difficult time in my life and helped me understand what had to be done.

I will always be thankful for that episode and the lesson it taught me.
Your story has hit me with such an emotional impact... words just aren't possible.... Bless both you and your wife, and I hope you have faith that your son is with Him in Paradise.
Thank you . . . and we do.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#71 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Fred wrote:
MaximRecoil wrote:This was a very memorable episode for me as a kid; I watched it the night it originally aired. I seem to remember knowing at the time that it wasn't the end of the series though; knowing that there was going to be an 8th season, and wondering how they were going to bring him back from the dead. Knowing that sort of lessens the impact of this episode.
I could certainly be wrong after all these years, but I'm thinking we didn't know there'd be an 8th season until well after "Limbo" was aired. Somehow, I recall Tom Selleck agreeing to an 8th season due to the demand of the public, and CBS taking good care of him.... again, that could be just an old guy saying things that didn't happen...

I agree. I could be wrong, I was paying less attention and had other distractions at that time, but I don't remember knowing at that time the show would be back.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Seaver41 »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Doc Fred wrote:

I agree. I could be wrong, I was paying less attention and had other distractions at that time, but I don't remember knowing at that time the show would be back.

Word leaked of Magnum's impending demise before the episode was even fully in the can. If you watch closely, you can see how he is treated as being dead until Michelle shows up at the hospital. All scenes prior to that had no one talking about him in the present, only the past and no one was visiting him at the hospital. They left themselves a 'back door' by editing/adding some scenes. Also, I distinctly remember already knowing Magnum was coming back before Limbo aired.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Seaver41 »

just watched this one last night again..........it had been a long time. This was mostly a tremendous concept for the intended finale........with only one exception......one that was too big to overcome (killing Magnum).

Here the writers were caught between worlds, the fictional world of the show and our real world that loves those fictional characters. They nailed it with Magnum being able to say goodbye for our benefit to his friends........but they couldn't hear it.....so that drove us crazy. They wanted the best of both ideas where Magnum has a definitive end and viewers are eased into it seeing a 'ghost Magnum' happily moving on. The flaw in that is that viewers do not like to see their heroes die and they really came up with a cheesy demise. A couple of middle aged henchmen of the week were going to take down Magnum? Like that? Cmon. Can you imagine the outrage if that was it? People were mad enough just knowing he was being killed off, never mind the circumstances like that.

Maybe a better ending might have been to 'kinda kill' Magnum. Obviously in Limbo, Michelle is in danger and Magnum is a beacon when she comes around. Staging Magnum's death and sending him off with Michelle and Lily to live a life together in anonymity might've been the biggest payoff if they ended it after 7 seasons. Have the gang participate in the greatest caper. The viewer/writer payoff is the characters still have to say a final goodbye.....but everyone gets what they want...

Damn.........I'm kinda pissed now they never thought of that..........lol

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#74 Post by marlboro »

I thought the shootout at the beginning was very well done. Very intense. I didn't care for the episode though and I'm very glad that this wasn't the end to the series.

Things that popped into my head while watching this episode:

Alexis! No - not again!

I just didn't like this episode at all. Rick's jail storyline ended as abruptly as it began. There was far too little of Higgins. Magnum being revealed to be in the hospital very late in the episode seemed like a cheap way of leaving themselves an out; I don't buy that all of his friends weren't constantly at his bedside. There is still almost zero chemistry between Magnum and Michele. I don't buy that Michele would bring Lily back to America either. And they had to reuse the funniest (to me) flub from the entire run of the show - the exploding car from Paradise Blues!

To me what makes this show great is the interaction between the four main characters. This episode, by design, makes that impossible. Bring on season 8.

p.s. Anybody care for a Napoleon?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#75 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL! :lol:
marlboro wrote:Bring on season 8.
But what about "Straight and Narrow" and "Novel Connection" and "Little Girl Who" and "Autumn Warrior" and "Laura" and...?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!