Season 7 General Discussion

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the seventh season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Season 7 General Discussion

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Please post any general comments regarding Season 7 here. For episode-specific posts, please use the correct episode thread.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

Re: Season 7 General Discussion

#2 Post by Dave Anderson »

I am not a big fan of Season 7, with a few exceptions such as Death and Taxes, Forty, LA, this was one of the weaker seasons in my opinion. Of course, I really like most of Season 5 so I know I'm in a minority around here. I find Season 7 possibly the weakest of the series, again, just MHO.

tiger73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#3 Post by tiger73 »

Sorry for my bad english. We Italians did a very good website on Magnum, look my profile and we think season 7 is not so good as all other seasons but there is the great episode "Murder by Night" that is a tribute on Mike Hammer of Mickey spillane, I am great fan of Mike Hammer and I find the episode funny and enjoyable so season 7 is not so bad definetely.
And I have noticed there is a soundtrack much better than the other seasons :P

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KingKC »

WOW...what a comeback. Seven episodes in the TOP 40 and the top average episode season rating at 8.4909. This season had something for everyone even if you are like me and did not like the Limbo ending and cheered when they brought back a Season 8.

There were intense investigations , tugs at the heartstrings, comedy, crossover, a dream episode, character-centric episodes, very,very Magnum-centric episodes, great guest stars and almost a love affair for Magnum...twice.

Clearly everyone thought this would be the last season so I am sure the writers, directors and producers added a little extra effort. I am grateful and fondly remember a lot of these episodes without reading the material of the website. These stuck with me almost as much as Season 1.

KingKC

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by Lord Ickenham »

I am very disappointed. The 7th season is very awful for me. Boring episodes, weak stories, bad background musics. I am going to stop seeing this. I a don't want to brake the magic...

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Lord Ickenham wrote:I am very disappointed. The 7th season is very awful for me. Boring episodes, weak stories, bad background musics. I am going to stop seeing this. I a don't want to brake the magic...
Hi Lord Ickenham,

I do not know how far into S. 7 you are. I would suggest however you view Death & Taxes, Paper War, Kapu, On The Fly & Laura specifically before a final departure from Season 7. Hopefully you will enjoy some of these. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Lord Ickenham
Lieutenant Commander

#7 Post by Lord Ickenham »

Thank you for your advice! But I've seen them. For me that darker episodes are not enjoyable. For example: in Laura the gangstars rape and kill a little girl. It is strange in the world of Magnum. The Death & Taxes was like a B movie with stereotypical things.
Only the Paper War went back to the earlier style of the series. But the Solo Flight was totally idealess. Magnum in trouble on his own, speak to his father. It was a remake of the Home from the Sea. The backflashes were boring.
I know it is very subjective, and I hope I didn't hurt other's feelings. I don't want to be offensive, I only wrote my feelings.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I agree. I don't like Season 7. The only episode from Season 7 I occasionally watch is Little Girl Who.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by terryfromkerry »

Lord Ickenham wrote:Thank you for your advice! But I've seen them. For me that darker episodes are not enjoyable. For example: in Laura the gangstars rape and kill a little girl. It is strange in the world of Magnum. The Death & Taxes was like a B movie with stereotypical things.
Only the Paper War went back to the earlier style of the series. But the Solo Flight was totally idealess. Magnum in trouble on his own, speak to his father. It was a remake of the Home from the Sea. The backflashes were boring.
I know it is very subjective, and I hope I didn't hurt other's feelings. I don't want to be offensive, I only wrote my feelings.
No worries Lord Ickenham. :) I respect your opinion. Concerning "Solo Flight" , I completely agree with you. I tend to skip over it whenever I am re-visiting Season 7.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#10 Post by SeamanWolfe »

I think this season shows how much TV was changing through the 1980s. Magnum was reacting to Miami vice (which surprisingly was a top 30 show but not the huge hit I remember). Some very solid episodes and some big misses. Paper War is fun, the call back to the 4th of July in death and taxes, forty (which taught 14 year old me that Otis Redding sang more songs than just "sitting in the dock of the bay"). Definitely different than what the first six seasons were, but very enjoyable.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#11 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:57 am I think this season shows how much TV was changing through the 1980s. Magnum was reacting to Miami vice (which surprisingly was a top 30 show but not the huge hit I remember). Some very solid episodes and some big misses. Paper War is fun, the call back to the 4th of July in death and taxes, forty (which taught 14 year old me that Otis Redding sang more songs than just "sitting in the dock of the bay"). Definitely different than what the first six seasons were, but very enjoyable.
Magnum pi peaked in the Nielsen ratings at #4 in 1982 and Miami Vice peaked in 1985 at #9.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:20 am
SeamanWolfe wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:57 am I think this season shows how much TV was changing through the 1980s. Magnum was reacting to Miami vice (which surprisingly was a top 30 show but not the huge hit I remember). Some very solid episodes and some big misses. Paper War is fun, the call back to the 4th of July in death and taxes, forty (which taught 14 year old me that Otis Redding sang more songs than just "sitting in the dock of the bay"). Definitely different than what the first six seasons were, but very enjoyable.
Magnum pi peaked in the Nielsen ratings at #4 in 1982 and Miami Vice peaked in 1985 at #9.
That does seem amazing to me too. Miami Vice was a cultural "happening." But I guess not with all demographics. I guess I have to remind myself that my grandparents were watching TV at the time too and they weren't watching Crockett and Tubs...or Magnum either.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

waverly2211
Captain

#13 Post by waverly2211 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:20 am
That does seem amazing to me too. Miami Vice was a cultural "happening." But I guess not with all demographics. I guess I have to remind myself that my grandparents were watching TV at the time too and they weren't watching Crockett and Tubs...or Magnum either.
Miami Vice ratings were an anomaly, in a couple of ways. The target audience for the most part, 18 - 54, was not watching TV on Friday or Saturday night at 10-11 PM. It was a graveyard so to speak.

Magnum was moved back a slot in it's 2nd season as TV executives were looking to mirror successful shows by putting a similar show into the same time slot, but on a different night. If the average household watched Dallas at 9PM on a Friday, they would probably watch a similar show, Knotts Landing at 9P on Thursday night, so Magnum was moved back. It helped Knotts Landing somewhat, however the change set Magnum back for a season, before breaking out in 82-83. We would watch Magnum on Thursday before heading out to the club. We never watched Magnum when it was on from 9-10 that first season. We did however watch on Wednesday nights.

Miami Vice on the other hand which in it's 2nd season jumped to #9 fell victim to an overzealous NBC executive board the following season who decided to side with Steven Bochco to push Miami Vice back an hour to get a lead-in for LA Law and not "Die" at the hands of Dallas. Plus it also didn't help that Michael Mann agreed to the move as well to help his new series Crime Story.

The move cost as people move on, they lose interest. LA Law moved to Thursday for the summer and following seasons, Miami Vice was moved back and didn't fare well. Some Nielsen rating folks believed Miami Vice hit the #14 and #9 due to the advent of programable VCR's, claiming people would turn on the TV, set the VCR and then leave for the evening, but who knows.

One thing my uncle used to say, don't FU** with the success. Since Miami Vice peaked at #9, no show for NBC in that time slot ever got in the top 20. And in that time slot alone, Friday 10-11PM I believe no other show hit the top 10 until Blue Bloods came along hitting single digits at #8 in 2015-16. Some 30 years later.

I believe 20/20 peaked at #11, but never single digits.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by charybdis1966 »

Hi guys,

I've just ordered the season 7 DVD (I've had seasons 1-4 already) so I'm looking forward to the mature late series style that is up from 5 and 6 but can't compare to what I think is the best era of Seasons 2-3.

The added bonus is that I don't remember that much of this season from the original run in the '80s so it'll largely be new to me.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ENSHealy »

Here's a compilation of all the 4th wall breaks in Season 7. It's a bit long because I included all of the at-the-camera dialogue from Out Of Sync. I suppose you could argue whether that counts as a true 4th wall break.

https://vimeo.com/789310621
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."