It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 45%  45%  [ 34 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 19%  19%  [ 14 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
7.5 (Decent) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 75
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm 
Lieutenant

Great episode, very touching. Brought tears several times, especially when Lilly runs back to Thomas at the end. Made me feel like a baby, but Lily is so cute and reminds me of my oldest daughter at that age. Feel horrible for TM and all that he has gone thru in his life with Michelle and now Lily.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:21 am 
Rear Admiral

J.J. Walters wrote:
Chalk up another flub for James! ;)

It's been a looooooong time since I've seen Little Girl Who/Limbo/Unfinished Business.

Not quite sure why I questioned Higgins' comment about Michelle's "oriental heritage". It just surprised me. For some reason, I always had her pegged as all French. But of course, she could be of mixed descent. :oops:

I always viewed the character as based to some extent on Madame Nhu, former first lady of South Vietnam.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:36 pm 
Admiral

EZiller wrote:
Regarding TSM's women-he has this incredible infatuation for Michelle, although she seems to manipulate him. Meanwhile, the lovely Maggie Poole, who is constantly going out on a limb for TSM, breaching top security items to help him, only seems to get cursory interest. Quite tacky of him to bring flowers [not even roses] as an apology for forgetting their dinner date, while all he really wants is information about Michelle, Hue and their present status.

This may have to do with their initial meetings. Maggie made it clear that she couldn't be manipulated the same way that Mac could with all of the gifts. Magnum didn't deny trying to use food to get Mac to give him the info he needed. I think if Magnum had always shown up with flowers or candy or whatever then it wouldn't have worked on Maggie. She was more about doing the right thing and helping Magnum when it seemed like the correct thing to do rather than thinking, "those flowers look really great... what could giving restricted info to a civillian really hurt?"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:29 am 
Fleet Admiral

J.J. Walters wrote:
Chalk up another flub for James! ;)
It's been a looooooong time since I've seen Little Girl Who/Limbo/Unfinished Business.
Not quite sure why I questioned Higgins' comment about Michelle's "oriental heritage". It just surprised me. For some reason, I always had her pegged as all French. But of course, she could be of mixed descent. :oops:

Greetings J.J.
Women of mixed racial background have historically been considered exotic or even 'forbidden fruit', as least thru the 20th century. For whatever reason more than one Vietnam vet has sworn to me that French/Vietnamese Eurasians are the most beautiful women in the world.
In the 19th century you had the French Creoles of New Orleans. The Creoles being of French European and African heritage, many becoming the most celebrated and sought after courtesans of the age.
In the deeply weird racial categorizing of the Old South, the most desirable were the "High Yellows" which if I recall correctly were people 1/4 African and 3/4 other. The Yellow Rose of Texas, the great beauty of the song, was a black 'high yellow' woman who General Santa Anna halted his army for, in order to dally with for a few days during his invasion of Texas. Combined with the time he used up besieging the Alamo, it was just enough to give Sam Houston the time he needed to organize his army.
By the way, my college age nephew handed - or attempted to - hand me my head for using the word Oriental, a word other posters in this thread have used as well.
His little PC heart just about stopped in horror.
He claims it is the same as using the "N" word.
This was news to me, as well as to my Vietnamese friend Hong, a ARVN vet.
I told my nephew it was a geographic term indicating where a given person was from, like "Iberian" for the Spanish or Portuguese. And just what panel of carefully chosen experts suddenly decreed it was a racist term, issuing fourth it's edict, that the common herd must obey.
He just knew he was told it was a bad word, and like know all enlightened youth everywhere he does what he's told.
But I digress.
This episode has got to be in the top ten Magnums, at least in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6