Was Higgins a US Citizen?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Was Higgins a US Citizen?

#31 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:But did Honduras recognize the renunciation?

The info I acquired from that British expat website indicated that Great Britain, at least, does not recognize her citizens' renunciations when declared to a foreign country. So you can renounce all you like but you remain a British subject until and unless you file legal papers with Great Britain.
I think it's more about "would Higgins ever renounce his English citizenship" moreso than if England would recognize it. I highly doubt he ever would, esoecially being a member of the Peerage.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by K Hale »

ConchRepublican wrote:
K Hale wrote:But did Honduras recognize the renunciation?

The info I acquired from that British expat website indicated that Great Britain, at least, does not recognize her citizens' renunciations when declared to a foreign country. So you can renounce all you like but you remain a British subject until and unless you file legal papers with Great Britain.
I think it's more about "would Higgins ever renounce his English citizenship" moreso than if England would recognize it. I highly doubt he ever would, esoecially being a member of the Peerage.
I agree, that's what I said earlier. I can't imagine it.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Rands
Rear Admiral

#33 Post by Rands »

Good Question K Hale. Fortunately, I haven't seen her since my daughter's high school graduation, and that's nearly 2 decades. To be honest, I'm not sure how Honduras feels about former Nationals. Unfortunately, there isn't a standard set of immigration laws from country to country. I do know that several Nations continue to honor their citizenship, even if a Foreign National becomes a Naturalized USC. The most prominent Nation is Israel. Israel always considers their citizens to be Israeli, even if they Naturalize elsewhere. Additionally, those who can prove to be Jewish are considered to be Israelis, regardless of place of birth or residence. Additionally, Israel does not honor foreign extradition of both persons or their assets, which at times has hindered more than a few criminal prosecutions.

As to the Brits, I have known several who where residing in the United States as ex-patriots. One in particular had worked for the British government, and had retired to Southern California for the weather. He had spent most of his career overseas, predominantly working in southern Africa. More than a few times, he was asked by the British government to travel to various locations to "observe" events, and photographically record them. Despite his retired status, he made comment, that when the Crown asked, he answered. I never did press beyond that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by K Hale »

That sounds like JQH. :higgins: :shock:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!