Was Higgins a US Citizen?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Artie Canoe
Captain

#11 Post by Artie Canoe »

I would think he had dual citizenship because he was living and working there for a long time so it was probably the best option for him.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MPS »

I think it may have been nearly impossible to retain a dual citizenship in the 1980's, as it it tough to do it even with loosened standards, now.

Dual Citizenship
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Private Investigator!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#13 Post by Private Investigator! »

I have no true knowledge of how this all works, but considering that he may have been in the islands before it received statehood, how would his status be handled considering he was already a resident? Do they "grandfather" in residents of a new state? Obviously, all natives of the islands became US citizens when the state joined the union. The question then becomes what was his relationship to the ruling government at time of statehood? He could easily have become a US citizen by proxy.

This is all speculation on my part of course.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by perfectlykevin »

I doubt he was a US citizen. I rememebr in the pilot ep. he said to Magnum not to put ice in his whiskey..."I'm not a bloody American!" I may have it slightly off but that what I'm remembering.

The bit about the social security numbe rthough in the same episode-it seems like Magnum would know that one can't have a SS# with just a work visa. Maybe Magnum just isn't up on his immigration or he thought Higgins was an American (which seems pretty unlikely).

Kev

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Non-citizens who hold US work visas or whose permission to work is inherent in their immigration status can have Social Security Numbers. Remember, Uncle Sam has to collect his due! Even in the 80's, there was a pretty simple process for an alien with a valid work visa to present his or her documents at the SSA to obtain an SSN.

I hope this is helpful!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by perfectlykevin »

Sparkle & Fizz wrote:Non-citizens who hold US work visas or whose permission to work is inherent in their immigration status can have Social Security Numbers. Remember, Uncle Sam has to collect his due! Even in the 80's, there was a pretty simple process for an alien with a valid work visa to present his or her documents at the SSA to obtain an SSN.

I hope this is helpful!
Absolutely! I guess then that he had a SS# and was not a "bloody American" after all. :) It does help to know that the parts do fit together.

Also he was pretty clear on his view of the Rev. war in "Home From The Sea" too now that I think of it... :)

Kev

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#17 Post by IslandHopper »

perfectlykevin wrote:I doubt he was a US citizen. I rememebr in the pilot ep. he said to Magnum not to put ice in his whiskey..."I'm not a bloody American!" I may have it slightly off but that what I'm remembering.
Higgins may not have been a U.S. citizen when he made the "I'm not a bloody American" comment, but that doesn't mean he didn't become a U.S. citizen sometime after. The "legal" immigration process takes many years. According to Higgins' History, he wasn't hired by Robin Masters until 1972, and there is nothing in Higgins' history that would indicate that he was in Hawaii before 1972. Just because he came to Hawaii in 1972 doesn't mean he immediately applied for U.S. citizenship. I know people from England who have been trying to become U.S. citizens for more than a decade and they are business owners here in the states, pay taxes and are exemplary citizens. I still think Higgins had dual-citizenship based on Magnum's comment in "Pleasure Principle." JMHO
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Jodykmg365
Vice Admiral

#18 Post by Jodykmg365 »

I can't see Higgins giving up his British citizenship....ever. He was just too much of a tough old Brit! :lol: I think he enjoyed living in Hawaii very much, but I think he will always consider England home.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#19 Post by K Hale »

IslandHopper wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:I doubt he was a US citizen. I rememebr in the pilot ep. he said to Magnum not to put ice in his whiskey..."I'm not a bloody American!" I may have it slightly off but that what I'm remembering.
Higgins may not have been a U.S. citizen when he made the "I'm not a bloody American" comment, but that doesn't mean he didn't become a U.S. citizen sometime after. The "legal" immigration process takes many years. According to Higgins' History, he wasn't hired by Robin Masters until 1972, and there is nothing in Higgins' history that would indicate that he was in Hawaii before 1972. Just because he came to Hawaii in 1972 doesn't mean he immediately applied for U.S. citizenship. I know people from England who have been trying to become U.S. citizens for more than a decade and they are business owners here in the states, pay taxes and are exemplary citizens. I still think Higgins had dual-citizenship based on Magnum's comment in "Pleasure Principle." JMHO
I am not convinced either way. Magnum might have meant Rosita merely assumed Higgins was a US citizen and could be convinced to marry her and gain citizenship (pretty patronizing of TM to think Higgy Baby would fall for this) or he might have meant Higgins WAS a US citizen at this point, unlike the era of "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" when he was still on a work visa. (Edited to add: I cannot imagine there was any way he would ever, ever, ever renounce UK citizenship! It's got to be dual or nothing!)

Good information here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/d ... sa-464826/

Question: why would Higgins particularly want to be a US citizen vs. a green card holder? From what someone said upthread, people on a work visa still pay income tax so he would have had to have a SSN which was established in the pilot. What advantage is there to being a citizen other than voting rights?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Was Higgins a US Citizen?

#20 Post by marlboro »

I'm picturing Elmo smuggling him across the Texas border while Higgins tells an interminable story about how he and Corky Bostwick crossed the Berlin wall in a jerry-rigged hot air balloon constructed out of old tyre inner tubes back in 63. Or was in 64?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

marlboro wrote:I'm picturing Elmo smuggling him across the Texas border while Higgins tells an interminable story about how he and Corky Bostwick crossed the Berlin wall in a jerry-rigged hot air balloon constructed out of old tyre inner tubes back in 63. Or was in 64?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#22 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:I'm picturing Elmo smuggling him across the Texas border while Higgins tells an interminable story about how he and Corky Bostwick crossed the Berlin wall in a jerry-rigged hot air balloon constructed out of old tyre inner tubes back in 63. Or was in 64?
Ha!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Re:

#23 Post by ConchRepublican »

K Hale wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:
I am not convinced either way. Magnum might have meant Rosita merely assumed Higgins was a US citizen and could be convinced to marry her and gain citizenship (pretty patronizing of TM to think Higgy Baby would fall for this) or he might have meant Higgins WAS a US citizen at this point, unlike the era of "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" when he was still on a work visa. (Edited to add: I cannot imagine there was any way he would ever, ever, ever renounce UK citizenship! It's got to be dual or nothing!)

Good information here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/d ... sa-464826/

Question: why would Higgins particularly want to be a US citizen vs. a green card holder? From what someone said upthread, people on a work visa still pay income tax so he would have had to have a SSN which was established in the pilot. What advantage is there to being a citizen other than voting rights?

This is an interesting discussion, thank you for reviving it K Hale.

I never thought too deeply on it but I would have to agree with the position that Higgins would NEVER give up his English citizenship, especially as a member of the Peerage which he has so much pride in. I can see him perhaps seeing the advantages of being an American citizen as well, "I'm not a Bloody American" comment aside, which plays into the Pleasure Principle comment by Magnum . . . I'll need to watch that again. That could just be a mistake by Thomas.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#24 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

UK / US dual citizenship is allowed. My oldest brother was born in Cheltenham and now resides in Cocoa Beach. He is a naturalized US citizen and has retained his British citizenship. I was born in Ireland and am a naturalized US citizen. I also hold dual citizenship. I can’t imagine a world where Higgins isn’t British. I believe US citizenship would be a matter of convenience for him.
Faith and Begorrah!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by K Hale »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:UK / US dual citizenship is allowed. My oldest brother was born in Cheltenham and now resides in Cocoa Beach. He is a naturalized US citizen and has retained his British citizenship. I was born in Ireland and am a naturalized US citizen. I also hold dual citizenship. I can’t imagine a world where Higgins isn’t British. I believe US citizenship would be a matter of convenience for him.
As in, he would do it if it were convenient? Or he would do it if he wanted access to something only available to US citizens, as opposed to just wanting to be a citizen for the sake of being one?

What are the advantages?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!