Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, Gillian Dobb used to catch the bus home after a day of filming on Magnum. :shock:

I also find it very interesting that Rick says the Higgins "den" scene in the Pilot Movie was filmed at the Marks Estate, not the Anderson Estate!

Is this blog cool, or what! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#17 Post by N1095A »

I found it interesting that no indoor filming was allowed at the Anderson estate, and the pilot episode interiors were done at the Marks estate. This would explain the brick exteriors, and brick indoor walls in Higgins' study. According to Rick the study set was modeled after the Marks estate. This blog is just fascinating reading. I really wish Rick would post here. He would be a welcome addition to the site, and I for one, would consider him royalty among MM members as he was such an insider. I also noticed that in his blogs he stated that he had little to do with the established permanent sets, However there were many episodes where those permanent sets required different dressing, I.E the many flashback scenes and the time the guest house was painted red and redecorated. as I've said before I'd love to be able to sit down and talk with him for hours. It would likely seem a little odd for him since it was just a job, but I find that whole area of set dressing just fascinating. To think that every one of the personal items were thought out. It occours to me that every set from the ones we know very well to the one time use sets had to be given a personality as such. This is a facet of the MPI experience that has been untapped so far.

James, Was it just me or from the blogs did you get the impression that Gillian Dobb was just an extremely classy and wonderful person? I always liked Agetha, but I now have a new love for the character, and enormouss respect for this great lady.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

N, Rick only mentions that the "den" scene was filmed at the Marks Estate, not the other main house scenes (unless I missed something). I've added a post to the blog asking him to clarify.

Yeah, Gillian seems like such a nice person. I must say though, I'm totally floored to hear that her husband was "involved in some shady business that landed him in jail"! :shock:

N1095A

#19 Post by N1095A »

James J. Walters wrote:N, Rick only mentions that the "den" scene was filmed at the Marks Estate, not the other main house scenes (unless I missed something). I've added a post to the blog asking him to clarify.

Yeah, Gillian seems like such a nice person. I must say though, I'm totally floored to hear that her husband was "involved in some shady business that landed him in jail"! :shock:
Sorry I was unclear, the den is what I was referring to.
What a great thing it must have been to be involved in the production of the show. I wonder how many of those involved thought of it as simply a job, and how many had the idea that they were a part of something great.
I haven't yet figured out how to post on the actual blog site, but I wonder if Rick has any insight as to why the guesthouse was portrayed as being on the other end of the estate rather than the actual location of the boat house.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#20 Post by rubber chicken »

It is a pain to signup for those google blogs. I think if they just allowed guests to post, there would be many more comments.

N1095A

#21 Post by N1095A »

rubber chicken wrote:It is a pain to signup for those google blogs. I think if they just allowed guests to post, there would be many more comments.
Okay, i'm admitting my ignorance here, but I signed up okay, but I can't seem to find where to post a reply. I love the blog. I really wish he'd join us here.

eeyore
Admiral

#22 Post by eeyore »

N,

At the bottom of each blog entry is the phrase post a comment, it is light , kind of tough to see, click on that and respond from there. Be careful though and copy your post before you try to send it. If you aren't sure you are signed in, it will ask for you to do so, and your post will be lost!! Then you can just paste it back in!

VM02
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by VM02 »

Which Episode is the lingerie shop from? I don't remember this one. (Though I thought I remembered the Mona Lisa painting from Squeeze Play.)

N1095A

#24 Post by N1095A »

VM02 wrote:Which Episode is the lingerie shop from? I don't remember this one. (Though I thought I remembered the Mona Lisa painting from Squeeze Play.)
"A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken"

sctcarts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#25 Post by sctcarts »

This is just too dang cool! Love this blog, thanks for sharing the info!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Sam »

Thought I would give this a bump in case the new members haven't seen it.

Icepick
Admiral

#27 Post by Icepick »

I'm blown away! I've been away too long from the forum that I totally missed this blog. Wow!

I have to start at the the beginning of the blog and read everything until the most recent entry. So much to read :shock:
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Rick Romer has some stuff (call sheets, invoices, etc.) up for auction on eBay. The auctions end on 3/14 and 3/15.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/descon

See his blog for more info.

The 23-page call sheet booklet (with artwork by editorial cartoonist Corky Trinidad) looks really interesting. :)

N1095A

#29 Post by N1095A »

The Bridge invoice is on there too. What a great chance to own something directly from MPI production.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#30 Post by Agatha »

Hey, rubberchicken!

Do you think that Rick Romer may be able to tell you where Agatha's house is?

Jes' wondrin'

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!