Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#46 Post by Styles Bitchley »

steveadl wrote:Shame Rick doesn't seem to be updating anymore. Was looking forward to some H5OII stories.
No doubt, he's far too busy to blog. I think the blog was filling in his free time. Maybe we'll get something in the off-season.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Sam »

Hi Styles,

Not sure what is going on with Romer.When HFO began, Romer had the single credit,then later it was shared with Brenda Meyers-Ballard. Now in last nights episode it was someone else.

Styles Bitchley

#48 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:Hi Styles,

Not sure what is going on with Romer.When HFO began, Romer had the single credit,then later it was shared with Brenda Meyers-Ballard. Now in last nights episode it was someone else.
Hmmm. That's interesting. Hope Rick didn't get bumped by some younger blood.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by steveadl »

Rick posted an update! :)

He was fired! But he bounced back pretty quickly this time by the looks of things - good to hear!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Sam »

Thanks for the heads up Steveadl.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#51 Post by J.J. Walters »

steveadl wrote:Rick posted an update! :)

He was fired! But he bounced back pretty quickly this time by the looks of things - good to hear!
Ah, thanks for the "heads up" steveadl! :)

Sorry to hear he was let go, glad to see that he found another project: Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked! Not a bad gig! Alvin and the Gang never get old.

That's got to be such a tough business to be in, having to constantly find new productions for work on. Rick is extremely resourceful. He's a survivor.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by steveadl »

Another update from Rick. Interesting post and some great screen grabs of Higgins' Bridge on the River Kwai.

Looks like the Old Pali Rd estate still hasn't had any takers.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Sam »

Good news for our old pal and favorite MPI set decorator Rick.He's back in the game and back at the old studio.

http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.com/201 ... -time.html

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ooh, The River sounds really good! Awesome Rick! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

Re: Magnum's Set Decorator Blog

#55 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It's been a while since I checked up on Rick through his blog. However, I just popped over and discovered that he's quit the business and moved onto something else. Seems he's a bit jaded and a bit frustrated by the way the business has changed. Here's his last blog entry from a year ago. http://magnumdecorator.blogspot.ch/2012 ... chive.html

- J.Q.H.

Estate resident
Captain

#56 Post by Estate resident »

Yea, I'd like to hear his opinion of the current state of affairs of film making in Hawaii today.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Sisophous »

Estate resident wrote:Yea, I'd like to hear his opinion of the current state of affairs of film making in Hawaii today.

Same here, he doesn't go into any detail but seems jaded by it. I'd like to know what has changed for the worse.

He writes, "The reality is that the TV and film business has changed. Let's just say they aren't changes that agree with me so changing professions is actually not that traumatic."

Is there a way to contact him to ask him what he did not like?

Worst he can say is "no comment" to why he became disenchanted with the film industry.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#58 Post by ConchRepublican »

I don't know if anyone here saw this interview with Rick going back to 2002. What a house!

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2002/0 ... tory1.html
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:I don't know if anyone here saw this interview with Rick going back to 2002. What a house!

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2002/0 ... tory1.html
Makes my past Summer's basement remodel look mowing the lawn compared to his project. Wonder if he ever finished. I had been meaning to ask if you were going to try and contact Mr. Romer before your trip but am thinking if you were doing some research on him you are on top of it..............

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Sam »