Original series props

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

erock308
Fleet Admiral

Original series props

#1 Post by erock308 »

"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Original series props

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for posting this! I'm not sure what it is though. I guess a virtual museum of sorts? Very meta.

I'd be interested to know more about the actual photographed items, as they do seem legit. Where are they and who owns them?

Pickled egg, please!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Chris109 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:14 pm Thanks for posting this! I'm not sure what it is though. I guess a virtual museum of sorts? Very meta.

I'd be interested to know more about the actual photographed items, as they do seem legit. Where are they and who owns them?

Pickled egg, please!

waverly2211
Captain

#4 Post by waverly2211 »

The blue shirt sold for just a touch over $7K in 2017.

AussieThrifter
Ensign

#5 Post by AussieThrifter »

Hi guys, picked this up today. I’m located in Wollongong, Australia.
Apparently this shirt was on display in a large hotel here and when they remodeled they got rid of this! Time to watch every episode again just in case it may be one worn by Tom in the show??

Styles Bitchley

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

AussieThrifter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 am Hi guys, picked this up today. I’m located in Wollongong, Australia.
Apparently this shirt was on display in a large hotel here and when they remodeled they got rid of this! Time to watch every episode again just in case it may be one worn by Tom in the show??
Welcome AussieThrifter! I've been to Wollongong - many years ago now. That stretch of NSW coastline down to Victoria could give many a Hawaiian beach a run for its money. Now, can you clarify what it is you picked up and what was on display?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:11 pm
AussieThrifter wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:28 am Hi guys, picked this up today. I’m located in Wollongong, Australia.
Welcome AussieThrifter! I've been to Wollongong - many years ago now. That stretch of NSW coastline down to Victoria could give many a Hawaiian beach a run for its money. Now, can you clarify what it is you picked up and what was on display?
Styles,
I too was wondering if AussieThrifter was referring to an actual shirt worn by Tom Selleck on Magnum PI.
You know I never ran across anybody selling props or actor worn clothes or anything from the series till I saw the above link.
I don't recall any Magnum Mania members saying they have anything.
For sure none of the team rings actually worn by the cast have gone on sale, but I assume there must have been cheaper
multiples of them for action scenes etc where you wouldn't want to mar the 'display' ones that the actors had on in close ups of their hands.
I wonder what one of the 'good' ones would be worth? Did the actors get to keep their's? I wonder what Selleck's ring would bring,100, 200 grand?
Styles, what were you doing in NSW? Did you get to Bondi Beach?

Styles Bitchley

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 am Styles,
I too was wondering if AussieThrifter was referring to an actual shirt worn by Tom Selleck on Magnum PI.
You know I never ran across anybody selling props or actor worn clothes or anything from the series till I saw the above link.
For sure none of the team rings actually worn by the cast have gone on sale, but I assume there must have been cheaper
multiples of them for action scenes etc where you wouldn't want to mar the 'display' ones that the actors had on in close ups of their hands.
I wonder what one of the 'good' ones would be worth? Did the actors get to keep their's? I wonder what Selleck's ring would bring,100, 200 grand?
Yeah, it'd be great to know if it was the Pickled Egg shirt. I remember more talk of screen worn items back when the forum was really active (a decade ago or so...). Have a search through the archives and you'll find some interesting things. It was probably the best time to sell this sort of Magnum-related stuff, as the DVD release really bumped interest in the show. A quick search from me found this thread about Magnum's camo hat up for sale on ebay for $2500 by member Hendrix. He also says he has an original Da Nang cap too.

As for being in NSW, I spend a year and a half exploring SE Asia, NZ and Australia back in my 20s. Best thing I ever did. I lived in a suburb of Sydney for a few months and saw a lot of NSW before gradually heading up the coast to Cairns then inland to Alice Springs and up through the outback to Darwin. An amazing country.

- J.Q.H.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:53 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:37 am Styles,
Yeah, it'd be great to know if it was the Pickled Egg shirt. I remember more talk of screen worn items back when the forum was really active (a decade ago or so...). Have a search through the archives and you'll find some interesting things. It was probably the best time to sell this sort of Magnum-related stuff, as the DVD release really bumped interest in the show. A quick search from me found this thread about Magnum's camo hat up for sale on ebay for $2500 by member Hendrix. He also says he has an original Da Nang cap too.

As for being in NSW, I spend a year and a half exploring SE Asia, NZ and Australia back in my 20s. Best thing I ever did. I lived in a suburb of Sydney for a few months and saw a lot of NSW before gradually heading up the coast to Cairns then inland to Alice Springs and up through the outback to Darwin. An amazing country.
Styles,
Holy smokes, I am so jealous of you doing that Asia/Oz/NZ run at the best possible time of life to do so. Sydney and it's Ocker House are for sure on my menu when I finally make the sojourn there.
My Aussie pal from NSW got me to watch "Water Rats", an expensively produced series about the Sydney Harbour Water Police, so you get to see much of the City("Big Smoke"). Good series, usually
on You Tube.

I can see where the iconic Da Nang cap would draw interest, it immediately clues one in to the background of the Magnum crew visually, the camo hat not so much, at least for me.