Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

#1 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I’m sure this question has been discussed in many other threads...but, there’s so many! So, I thought I’d maybe ask it again. There are at least 3 different Blu-ray sets of “Magnum” that I know of...Fabulous Films, Mill Creek, and Elephant Films. I’ve read tons of reviews on all...but many are “contradictory”, and seem to have either the same problems or the same positives.

So, which Blu-ray set does everyone think is the best? I’ve read that the Fabulous Films Blu-ray set is uncut/unedited original airings, whereas the U.S. DVD sets were syndicated (aka cut/edited) versions. Is the Mill Creek Blu-ray set uncut, original airings...or is it syndicated episodes? I’m looking to get “Magnum” on Blu-ray, but want to try and get the best set...with uncut episodes if possible, as well as color, picture quality, and sound.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

metalmoose
Lieutenant

Re: Which Blu-ray Set Is Best?

#2 Post by metalmoose »

I have the Mill Creek Blu ray set. The two part episodes have 8 minutes chopped out of them. The regular episodes seem to be complete. The color is brighter, but some views of outdoor sky scenes (through windows for example) are too bright and washed out looking. As for the missing scenes, I don't particularly like most of the two part episodes except for the pilot and last episode. When I started watching my new Blu rays in order I freaked out because so many cool scenes were gone! The part where Dan's sister was drunk and getting off the plane is totally gone. Totally ridiculous to remove it. The regular Universal DVD's have a much nicer system to hold the disks and I like the individual brief description of every episode in the paper sleeves, (even though I remember what every episode is about, I still like to read the description before watching). The Mill Creek set doesn't have that. I don't recall how much I paid, but I don't think it was very costly. In the end I'd probably recommend the Universal regular set. Mine are so scratched that I jumped at the chance to get the new Blu rays.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MaiTaiMan »

metalmoose wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:59 am I have the Mill Creek Blu ray set. The two part episodes have 8 minutes chopped out of them. The regular episodes seem to be complete. The color is brighter, but some views of outdoor sky scenes (through windows for example) are too bright and washed out looking. As for the missing scenes, I don't particularly like most of the two part episodes except for the pilot and last episode. When I started watching my new Blu rays in order I freaked out because so many cool scenes were gone! The part where Dan's sister was drunk and getting off the plane is totally gone. Totally ridiculous to remove it. The regular Universal DVD's have a much nicer system to hold the disks and I like the individual brief description of every episode in the paper sleeves, (even though I remember what every episode is about, I still like to read the description before watching). The Mill Creek set doesn't have that. I don't recall how much I paid, but I don't think it was very costly. In the end I'd probably recommend the Universal regular set. Mine are so scratched that I jumped at the chance to get the new Blu rays.
Thanks for the info! I have all the original Universal season DVD sets, too...but, I recently acquired the French Elephant Films Blu-ray set, as I’d read that it had original, uncut airings for the episodes. However, I now somewhat doubt that...as although I haven’t watched much of the set yet, I’ve checked a couple things out, and the Pilot is definitely a syndicated/rerun (aka cut/edited) version—as it doesn’t even have the original intro, but the famous, well known one has been implemented instead. The rest of the episodes may be original ones, but I’ll have to wait till I watch them. But, if one (even a 2-parter/2hr) episode is a syndicated/edited version, then it stands to reason the rest are too. :| I’m glad to have a Blu-ray set, but I’ll definitely be keeping my original DVD sets, as well!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

metalmoose
Lieutenant

#4 Post by metalmoose »

The worst part about the "edits" are that they take out jokes and other unique scenes that give the show its' real character and charm. It makes me so mad when its on TV and the scenes are cut. My kids even notice it and point out what was just removed!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MaiTaiMan »

metalmoose wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:09 am The worst part about the "edits" are that they take out jokes and other unique scenes that give the show its' real character and charm. It makes me so mad when its on TV and the scenes are cut. My kids even notice it and point out what was just removed!
I agree...and I hate any kind of cuts or edits from an original version! But, almost all syndicated reruns are edited/cut versions, to some degree. Sadly, Universal used syndicated reruns for a lot of their older shows on home video sets.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

metalmoose wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:59 am As for the missing scenes, I don't particularly like most of the two part episodes except for the pilot and last episode.
Don't like "Did You See the Sunrise?" and "Memories are Forever"??? :o :shock: The 2 best episodes of the entire series?? I have to wonder what got chopped off in these 2 brilliant episodes. :? Glad I have the Universal DVD's with these episodes in a 2-hour format (as opposed to part 1 & part 2).

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:01 pm
metalmoose wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:59 am As for the missing scenes, I don't particularly like most of the two part episodes except for the pilot and last episode.
Don't like "Did You See the Sunrise?" and "Memories are Forever"??? :o :shock: The 2 best episodes of the entire series?? I have to wonder what got chopped off in these 2 brilliant episodes. :? Glad I have the Universal DVD's with these episodes in a 2-hour format (as opposed to part 1 & part 2).
Here’s the thing, we may never know what got chopped or edited out from these two 2hr episodes...and others. How they’re listed with the original Universal DVD sets is “Parts 1&2” together. They’re in a 2hr format again (like when they originally aired), but what that is, is they took the syndicated/rerun versions (aka the split edited/cut versions) and spliced them back together to make the length like it originally was, as close as they could. But, it’s still the edited versions, and not the original, full uncut, CBS airing, 2hr versions. I’ve come to realize that Universal used syndicated rerun versions for most, of not all, their older TV shows, when releasing them to home video. :?

Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:03 am
Here’s the thing, we may never know what got chopped or edited out from these two 2hr episodes...and others. How they’re listed with the original Universal DVD sets is “Parts 1&2” together. They’re in a 2hr format again (like when they originally aired), but what that is, is they took the syndicated/rerun versions (aka the split edited/cut versions) and spliced them back together to make the length like it originally was, as close as they could. But, it’s still the edited versions, and not the original, full uncut, CBS airing, 2hr versions. I’ve come to realize that Universal used syndicated rerun versions for most, of not all, their older TV shows, when releasing them to home video. :?
Oh really? I did not know that. Looked like the real deal to me. Otherwise why even bother presenting them in the 2-hour format if they're really the syndicated 2-part versions?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:28 pm
Oh really? I did not know that. Looked like the real deal to me. Otherwise why even bother presenting them in the 2-hour format if they're really the syndicated 2-part versions?
I think they put the parts back together to try and present the show as close to how it originally aired as possible. But, when the title says Parts 1&2, that means they used the split syndicated parts and put them together in a feature length format. I’m sure that was easier & cheaper...to use already available syndicated reruns, than to spend tons getting original airings out of the vaults & having to digitally restore them in HD. They did the same with Miami Vice and Knight Rider. :? However, the German company Turbine was given access to original uncut airings of Knight Rider, and they restored that show to the best HD quality of an older show I’ve ever seen! I wish they could do the same for Magnum and MV!

Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:49 pm
I think they put the parts back together to try and present the show as close to how it originally aired as possible. But, when the title says Parts 1&2, that means they used the split syndicated parts and put them together in a feature length format. I’m sure that was easier & cheaper...to use already available syndicated reruns, than to spend tons getting original airings out of the vaults & having to digitally restore them in HD. They did the same with Miami Vice and Knight Rider. :? However, the German company Turbine was given access to original uncut airings of Knight Rider, and they restored that show to the best HD quality of an older show I’ve ever seen! I wish they could do the same for Magnum and MV!
Not the case with Knight Rider. I have the original DVDs put out by Universal and I'm sure it's the actual 2-hour episodes as they aired. Not just parts 1 & 2 cobbled together. These episodes have footage that the 2-part episodes in syndication did not have. And the season 3 premiere "Knight of the Drones" even has like a 3-minute teaser of Michael traveling somewhere on a case before the actual intro/credits theme kicks in. Then after the intro/credits we transition to the prison scene where Jim Brown's character C.J. Jackson makes his escape via the drone car. In the syndicated 2-part version we never got the 3-minute teaser at the start. Just the intro/credits as usual and then immediately followed by the prison scene. There are other scenes too that are on the DVD but were never shown in syndication. I also recently got the Blu-Ray (not the German one) and both the pilot and "Goliath" and "Goliath Returns" are shown the same as on the DVD in 2-hour format but "Knight of the Drones" is actually shown as Part 1 and Part 2. Weird why they did that. Here they definitely used what was shown in syndication.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:26 am
Not the case with Knight Rider. I have the original DVDs put out by Universal and I'm sure it's the actual 2-hour episodes as they aired. Not just parts 1 & 2 cobbled together. These episodes have footage that the 2-part episodes in syndication did not have. And the season 3 premiere "Knight of the Drones" even has like a 3-minute teaser of Michael traveling somewhere on a case before the actual intro/credits theme kicks in. Then after the intro/credits we transition to the prison scene where Jim Brown's character C.J. Jackson makes his escape via the drone car. In the syndicated 2-part version we never got the 3-minute teaser at the start. Just the intro/credits as usual and then immediately followed by the prison scene. There are other scenes too that are on the DVD but were never shown in syndication. I also recently got the Blu-Ray (not the German one) and both the pilot and "Goliath" and "Goliath Returns" are shown the same as on the DVD in 2-hour format but "Knight of the Drones" is actually shown as Part 1 and Part 2. Weird why they did that. Here they definitely used what was shown in syndication.
I too have the original Universal DVDs of Knight Rider. From what I’ve recently found out, even if they’re 2hr length episodes, the episodes themselves (all of them) are still the syndicated (aka edited) versions...the original 2hr ones are just the syndicated 2parts put back together in a 2hr format. Turbine’s special 40th Anniversary KR Blu-ray set has the ENTIRE series in original, uncut NBC airings...complete with all original music for the first time since the show originally aired! It’s a German set, but it’s region free & can be played anywhere worldwide, includes the original English audio track—besides the re-dubbed German one, and the HD restoration quality is beyond superb (even better than the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, and Elephant Films Blu-ray sets)...the best quality of an older TV show I’ve ever seen! Again, I truly wish “Magnum” & MV could get the same treatment from Turbine.

Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:18 am

I too have the original Universal DVDs of Knight Rider. From what I’ve recently found out, even if they’re 2hr length episodes, the episodes themselves (all of them) are still the syndicated (aka edited) versions...the original 2hr ones are just the syndicated 2parts put back together in a 2hr format. Turbine’s special 40th Anniversary KR Blu-ray set has the ENTIRE series in original, uncut NBC airings...complete with all original music for the first time since the show originally aired! It’s a German set, but it’s region free & can be played anywhere worldwide, includes the original English audio track—besides the re-dubbed German one, and the HD restoration quality is beyond superb (even better than the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, and Elephant Films Blu-ray sets)...the best quality of an older TV show I’ve ever seen! Again, I truly wish “Magnum” & MV could get the same treatment from Turbine.
As I said, "Knight of the Drones - 2 hour version" on DVD and "Knight of the Drones - Parts 1 & 2" on Blu-Ray are not the same thing. Complete scenes are missing from the latter. Even guest stars which are credited in the end credits and seen in the 2-hour version are missing from the 2-part version. So the 2-hour versions look like the original airings, or at least pretty close. They're definitely not just the syndicated parts 1 & 2 spliced together.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:38 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:18 am
As I said, "Knight of the Drones - 2 hour version" on DVD and "Knight of the Drones - Parts 1 & 2" on Blu-Ray are not the same thing. Complete scenes are missing from the latter. Even guest stars which are credited in the end credits and seen in the 2-hour version are missing from the 2-part version. So the 2-hour versions look like the original airings, or at least pretty close. They're definitely not just the syndicated parts 1 & 2 spliced together.
That would be the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets...as they (and the Universal DVD sets) used syndicated versions for the episodes. The Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set is literal original uncut/unedited NBC airings (complete with original music—as the reruns & subsequently the previous home video sets switched out or even cut out some songs), since the show originally aired! There are no split parts, or split parts put back together...every episode is restored exactly how they were aired. None of the previous home media sets have that. Only Turbine’s. It’s expensive, but the amount of special features, memorabilia, and all the reunions & other KR franchise shows are included (except the 2008 reboot)!

Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 pm That would be the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets...as they (and the Universal DVD sets) used syndicated versions for the episodes.
I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I'm specifically saying that the Universal DVD sets ARE NOT the same as the Mill Creek Blu-Rays. You're saying they are. If you have both then go and check "Knight of the Drones" on both and tell me it's the same exact content, just spliced together from 2 parts into 1 episode. I assure you that you will find footage in the Universal DVD that's missing on the Mill Creek Blu-Ray. So you can't say that they just took parts 1 & 2 and put them together to form a "2-hour" episode. I'm not talking about Turbine at all. Never heard of them so I can't comment. They may very well be the latest and greatest Knight Rider release so I'm not disputing that. Just talking about the differences between the Universal DVD and the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and "Knight of the Drones" in particular because I actually compared that episode. If you compare it let me know what you find.

As far as the original music I actually read that the songs originally heard when the series aired on NBC weren't the actual songs either but cover songs. So in the case of MIAMI VICE they were the actual songs by the actual singers but in the case of KR I read that they were always cover songs. If that's the case then I guess we're not really missing much because the songs on the Universal DVDs are also cover songs. Now, I compared several episodes between my Universal DVDs and Mill Creek Blu-Rays and the songs are mostly the same between the two (same cover songs) but the episode "Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death" on the Blu-Ray has some crap song playing during the car chase scenes where on the DVD it plays Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" cover. So I don't know what the deal is with that one. But anyway, I wasn't there during the original airings on NBC but that's what I read - that the originals were also covers.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:07 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:04 pm That would be the Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, & Elephant Films Blu-ray sets...as they (and the Universal DVD sets) used syndicated versions for the episodes.
I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I'm specifically saying that the Universal DVD sets ARE NOT the same as the Mill Creek Blu-Rays. You're saying they are. If you have both then go and check "Knight of the Drones" on both and tell me it's the same exact content, just spliced together from 2 parts into 1 episode. I assure you that you will find footage in the Universal DVD that's missing on the Mill Creek Blu-Ray. So you can't say that they just took parts 1 & 2 and put them together to form a "2-hour" episode. I'm not talking about Turbine at all. Never heard of them so I can't comment. They may very well be the latest and greatest Knight Rider release so I'm not disputing that. Just talking about the differences between the Universal DVD and the Mill Creek Blu-Ray and "Knight of the Drones" in particular because I actually compared that episode. If you compare it let me know what you find.

As far as the original music I actually read that the songs originally heard when the series aired on NBC weren't the actual songs either but cover songs. So in the case of MIAMI VICE they were the actual songs by the actual singers but in the case of KR I read that they were always cover songs. If that's the case then I guess we're not really missing much because the songs on the Universal DVDs are also cover songs. Now, I compared several episodes between my Universal DVDs and Mill Creek Blu-Rays and the songs are mostly the same between the two (same cover songs) but the episode "Give Me Liberty... or Give Me Death" on the Blu-Ray has some crap song playing during the car chase scenes where on the DVD it plays Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" cover. So I don't know what the deal is with that one. But anyway, I wasn't there during the original airings on NBC but that's what I read - that the originals were also covers.
What I am saying is (whether you like or believe it or not) Universal used syndicated (aka cut/edited) versions for the episodes when first releasing their older shows to DVD. Subsequently they provided the same versions to other studio companies for Blu-ray release...this includes KR & MV.

MV did get to keep all the original music (as Universal did make sure that was kept)...but syndicated rerun episodes were used for the home video releases. Same with KR. KR also had popular songs (one example is a couple songs by Prince) used in the original run of the show...but those songs were later switched out, or even cut out, for the reruns—and those were the versions used for the DVD & first Blu-ray releases. I have researched this, so I’m not making it up.

KR did NOT have original, uncut/unedited episodes complete with all original songs/music (since the show originally aired on NBC) until the Turbine 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set. I’m sorry, but the Universal DVD sets & the previous Blu-ray sets (regardless of which rerun versions they used) are syndicated versions...they are edited to some degree.

MV still has not had a release with original, uncut/unedited episodes—-even though a German set by Koch/Plaion claims they have “uncut” episodes...but all that means is they were finally able to get ahold of more “complete” episodes for the first time (aka the U.S. syndicated versions), as originally their reruns were more edited/“butchered” than ours (U.S.). But, they’re all still syndicated versions. In my opinion the Elephant Films Blu-ray set of MV is the best...for HD restoration, and as close to how the show originally was & was meant to look. But, I’m blessed/lucky enough to have the entire uncut original NBC airings of MV on homemade DVDs—transferred from the original VHS tapes several years ago. They may not be digitally restored to HD...but the colors, picture quality, and sound are amazing for how old the tapes/episodes were! It’s my favorite way to watch that show!

But, I wish that Turbine could do the same treatment for MV & “Magnum”, as it did for KR! Uncut/unedited episodes (with original music, if applicable) are always best (if possible)...and Turbine is the ONLY way to have KR in that way.