Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#141 Post by rubber chicken »

Hmm... interesting. Here's an English translation by google. In addition to to linking the Magnum Manina link, I wish they would have linked to your page for the guide and the forum thread.

But perhaps the site is intended primarily for people who speak only French, so I'm happy more people will have a chance to discover and enjoy the guide. :) The graphic is very well done!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#142 Post by J.J. Walters »

RC, I posted this in the episode thread, but in case you missed it I'm posting it here (it probably should have been here to begin with)... In case you do another update to the location guide. ;)

From "The Eighth Part of the Village" (3.4):

The pool hall scene with Magnum, T.C., Rick, Mr. Harms (Donald Gibb) and Mr. Jansen (Dick Durock) was filmed on location at the Cebu Pool Hall (Hotel and River Streets), which appears to have been a rather notorious Filipina hangout for many years. The hall was part of the H.Y. Wong building (built in 1906), which at the time of this episode was one of the last remaining wood-flame structures in the downtown Honolulu area. The building was razed in 1992 and replaced with low-income housing.

*Interesting article about the building*

ImageImage
ImageImage
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#143 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:The pool hall scene with Magnum, T.C., Rick, Mr. Harms (Donald Gibb) and Mr. Jansen (Dick Durock) was filmed on location at the Cebu Pool Hall (Hotel and River Streets), which appears to have been a rather notorious Filipina hangout for many years. The hall was part of the H.Y. Wong building (built in 1906), which at the time of this episode was one of the last remaining wood-flame structures in the downtown Honolulu area. The building was razed in 1992 and replaced with low-income housing.
What a beautifully grungy place! I feel like I can smell the stale beer, sweat and cigarette smoke.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"What a beautifully grungy place!" I used to cut school and hang out shooting pool at this pool hall and others in Chinatown. No beer to be had in a pool hall, so if you can smell beer, it comes from next door. I didn't notice any notorious female Pillafeenos all my years there, though.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#145 Post by ConchRepublican »

There is a chance I will be putting this guide to use next year.

I'm trying not to get excited.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#146 Post by KENJI »

That's great news Conch!
Fill us in!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#147 Post by Steve »

Sweet...............

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#148 Post by ConchRepublican »

KENJI wrote:That's great news Conch!
Fill us in!
Not Cozi related, just finally THAT trip may finally be happening. But that don't mean I may not be able to make something more out of it . . . . :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#149 Post by KENJI »

I was wondering if it might be Cozi related....work it Conch!
Either way you'll have a great time.
One thing that I recommend you (or any member) do is snorkel with the sharks (don't worry, you're in a cage).
I did this last month and it was WELL worth it! We went with this company..... http://www.sharktourshawaii.com/
We saw 12 Galapagos sharks -an awesome experience. Felt safe the whole time....just don't try and pet them (that's what they told us out there....makes sense to me).
Keep us posted on your plans!
K

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#150 Post by Doc Ibold »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Fill us in!
Not Cozi related, just finally THAT trip may finally be happening. But that don't mean I may not be able to make something more out of it . . . . :wink:
Nice work!!!!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#151 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Fill us in!
Great news, Conch. Excited for you!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#152 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Is 1.5 still the current version?

UHmanoa-guy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#153 Post by UHmanoa-guy »

Aloha all. New to this board, but have been reading it for awhile. Just wanted to say hello. I went to school at uh manoa, hence the user name and lived in Hawaii (Oahu 4 /2 and Maui 1/2) years so I have seen a lot of the filming locations or areas from the show. Was funny to see how often they use most of the driving scenes to and from robins nest that go by makapu'u and sandys beach. Great thread rubber chicken and your work looks very accurate from my experiences.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#154 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome UHmanoa-guy!

If you've been lurking, you already know what an awesome site this is, so won't waste time telling you all about it.

Always good to see people who have actually been to the sites and especially spent extended time on the island/s.

Interested in hearing any stories, experiences related to film sites or just the island in general. Also, pictures are always welcome...hint..hint. :lol:

There's a nice Mera (308 copy by Pontiac and Custom Concepts) for sale on Kauai! :magnum:

Welcome.... 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#155 Post by Sam »

I'm unable to access Rubber Chickens guide,anyone else having issues with the guide?

http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html