Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#41 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

RC I think sometimes Master Location Sleuth is almost an insult to your skill!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Steve »

Okay........I already have Google Earth and I have all of the overlays installed, but how do I get the Flight Simulator to work,........ and, is there a way I can use my joystick I use for my Microsoft Flight Simulator instead of monkeying around with my keyboard?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#43 Post by rubber chicken »

Glad everyone is enjoying this! Even though I have many screenshots of locations I can place, it's hard to find the time sometimes to put it together, but updates should keep coming.

Steve - I haven't used the flight simulator much but I found a few links. This page might have what you're looking for. And here's the complete Google Earth User Guide. Hope these help.

Olivier wrote:Do you still have any important locations you don' t find ?
Yeah, at least one common location in the show comes to mind. Sorry to be coy, but I'm hoping to find it on my own and if I mention the location I'm afraid someone might know. If not offhand, someone who worked on the show could be asked. Anyhow, every Sherlock Holmes needs a Professor Moriarty to tackle, least he become bored and reach for the opium. :shock:

I can say though there aren't any locations I've given up on. At least for those locations in the show which have enough clues to make a positive ID possible.

ConchRepublican wrote:This is the most awesome thing in the history of awesome things

I will be planning a vacation around this.

Seriously.
I just reread part of the thread and I had meant to respond to this (from page 2). I think a vacation based on visiting Magnum P.I. locations would be a great way to see Oahu. There are so many locations that are interesting in their own right. Being a Magnum P.I. fan would add to the experience but needn't be required. Going quickly around in google earth, I see a number of places of interest:

USS Arizona Memorial - Almost Home (3.11)
Kapena Falls - The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)
Queen Emma Summer Palace - Forever in Time (8.5)
Punchbowl National Cemetery - The Last Page (2.20)
Oahu Cemetery (founded 1844) - Forever in Time (8.5) (and others)
Manoa Chinese Cemetery - China Doll (1.3)
The Honolulu Zoo - (a few episodes)
Tantalus Lookout - (a small number of episodes)
The Contemporary Museum Honolulu - the home of Diane & Diedre Dupres from Echoes of the Mind (5.1 & 5.2) and the home of Mitsu McWilliams from The Taking of Dick McWilliams (2.10) - (two separate former houses now on the same property)
Hanauma Bay - (a few episodes more or less)
Sandy Beach Park - (a number of episodes)
Makapuu Lighthouse area - (a number of episodes)
Sea Life Park - Old Acquaintance (6.3)
Kamehame Ridge - (a number of episodes)
New Town and Country Stables (if there's something going on) - (a number of episodes)
Pali Golf Course - (a few episodes)
Byodo-in-Temple, Valley of the Temples - (many episodes)
Kaaawa Valley - (many episodes)

There's many more depending on the personal preference. I wouldn't mind simply sitting for a while under the tree from Let Me Hear the Music (5.18 ). You could also take a drive through the wealthy Kahala neighborhood, and the Nuuanu Valley. Or go to the North Shore and see many locations. And of course there's too many locations in Waikiki and the downtown and state capital areas to mention.

All these places and more would be an excuse to drive around, explore and learn about Oahu. Just pick and choose.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#44 Post by Artie Canoe »

This is great, and as I'm going to Hawaii this christmas I'll be sure to visit all the Magnum locations and take lots of pictures! Thanks a lot rubber chicken

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#45 Post by rubber chicken »

All of the locations? ;) I'm sure everyone here would enjoy seeing current photos of whichever locations you're able to see, and I wish you a successful journey!

Artie Canoe
Captain

#46 Post by Artie Canoe »

Okay well maybe I just wish it was all of them. Anyways I'll stop by a few and happily post any pictures I can get and thanks!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#47 Post by rubber chicken »

Rubber Chicken Guide to Magnum P.I. Filming Locations, version 1.2, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays edition.

I meant to have this ready a few days ago, but it took longer than expected to finish up. Version 1.2 has 33 new placemarks, which brings the total to something like 383 placemarks and almost that many locations. Two previously existing text placemarks have also been completed (listed below).

Included are some special locations that I was quite happy to add, including...
- Two often seen places, the Navel Intelligence Headquarters, and one of the Honolulu Police Department locations.
- The gas station where Magnum gets whooped by the sumo wrestler and a "midget or a dwarf."
- I've also completed eight Walker Estate locations, that may or may not be all of them. It was fun getting to know that fantastic property better.
- But the best new location here has to be Higgins' boyhood home, Hall Barn, dating from 1675 or before. That was a location I was dying to know more about.

Also worth noting is that much of the Honolulu area has been updated with new aerial photos. That area can now be zoomed in closer and is much more detailed and clear. It also means some important things from the Magnum world could have been changed or erased, but I haven't noticed anything like that yet.

There are still dozens of known locations that still haven't been added, some of which have been mentioned here in the forums. Those will be gotten to hopefully sooner rather than later...

Here's the list of new locations:

Added Placemarks
2.1 - "Honolulu Police Department" - (the often seen location where the police car drives through a tunnel in the building - does anyone know the proper architectural term for this?)
2.5 - NAVAL INTELLIGENCE HEADQUARTERS
2.7 - "One of them was a sumo wrestler. And the other was a midget or a dwarf."
2.13 - "Bannister set up that bomb to throw security."

3.8 - "... one of the most prestigious public schools in all of England."
3.8 - Magnum meets with Carol Baldwin (beta test version)
3.8 - Higgins in jail (establishing shot looking NE)

3.11 - driving to home of Aiko Tamura
3.11 - Aiko Tamura
3.11 - "So what's a $60,000 car between friends? I mean they get lost all the time."
3.11 - "There are about 19 or 20 guys all over 250 pounds, let's go in."

5.18 - meeting with Laurie Crane
5.19 - staking out little Allison's kidnapper

5.22 - "Oahu Prison Farm"
5.22 - "Oahu Prison Farm" (pov)
5.22 - Never on Sunday lingerie - (thanks Mr. Romer)

6.1 - boyhood home of Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
6.1 - entrance gates to the boyhood home of Jonathan Quayle Higgins III

6.6 - Paradise Pedicab Co.
6.6 - Sammy Garns gets away

6.9 - The Treasure of KalanIopuu TREASURE HUNT
6.11 - "... what Keli'i had been trying to show me."
6.14 - 'Kahalana 'Nursery
8.10 - "The camp."

Walker Estate (placemark in Secondary Locations)
1.3 - "Chinese" garden
1.7 - Dr. Bernard Kessler (establishing shots)
1.11 - Sidney Dollinger
3.7 - "... the old King Kamehameha Club 50 years ago." (1936)
3.13 - Simon MacLeish
4.3 - William Skuler
4.18 - Sir Alec Ramsey
6.17 - Theo Wolff

Completed Placemarks
1.7 - Sol & Lena Greenberg
2.6 - meeting with Colonel Buck Greene on Falls of Clyde

Notable Placemark Updates
2.21 - "The Belvedere Club" --> "photo in which the home can be seen (at left)"
3.8 - Velma Troubshaw --> "photo in which the home can be seen (at left)"

And here is the new .kmz file: Magnum P.I. locations 1.2.kmz

For those who haven't used a .kmz file before, refer to either the instructions in the page which James has made, or in my original post.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Steve »

Absolutely amazing RC.......Great job!!! Makes me want to go back to Oahu and truly do some Magnum location exploring! The Sun Times had a piece a while back on Obama's childhood in Hawaii with where he lived with his Grandparents, his Schools, etc. When I went on Google earth to look up the locations all I could think about was what Magnum filming locations were located around that area.........

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#49 Post by SelleckLover »

What a great Christmas gift to all us Magnum-maniacs, rc! It is much appreciated! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#50 Post by golfmobile »

Wow!!! Amazing-er and amazing-er! Yep, now we all have to go back and take pictures and video for RC to add! Twist my arm!

Thank you, RC, for your dedication and generosity in sharing. Merry Christmas, all!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#51 Post by IslandHopper »

Awesome RC! Thank you for taking the time to create that list of places to see.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Rubber Chicken Guide to Magnum P.I. Filming Locations, version 1.2, Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays edition.

Included are some special locations that I was quite happy to add, including...
- Two often seen places, the Navel Intelligence Headquarters, and one of the Honolulu Police Department locations.
- The gas station where Magnum gets whooped by the sumo wrestler and a "midget or a dwarf."
- I've also completed eight Walker Estate locations, that may or may not be all of them. It was fun getting to know that fantastic property better.
- But the best new location here has to be Higgins' boyhood home, Hall Barn, dating from 1675 or before. That was a location I was dying to know more about.
Awesome RC! I can't wait to check it out!!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great work on this addition rubber chicken!

Hall Barn has a fascinating history. Designed and owned by the 17th century poet Edmund Waller! How did you manage to ID it?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#54 Post by rubber chicken »

I was afraid someone would ask that. ;) I spent I don't know how many hours over the course of a month or two looking at literally thousands upon thousands of photographs of historical English properties. I searched in every way I could think of: through google with web pages and images with every manner of search terms, on various English historical properties web sites, on wikipedia's historical English estates lists, on flicker photo searches, etc. etc.

Eventually I decided to give up. When searching flicker photos I was coming across many photos of English historical properties taken by a member named buildings fan. So when I called it quits I thought I'd ask him and see if knows anything about it, and I made him with a web page with screencaps of the place. A short time later he responded saying "I Think its possibly Hall Barn near Beaconsfield in Buckinghamshire, it gets used for a lot of TV and film stuff. Best wishes." After all the time I put into it, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :?

At least I know I did the best I could. Hall Barn estate is off the webs radar unless one knows it's name to start with. Even then there isn't a whole lot. If I remember correctly, I put just about all the links I found about the estate into the google earth placemark. And that isn't much.

But I did learn a lot concerning historic English estates, which is an interesting subject to me. It's amazing how many estates have been lost to time, fire and decay. There were some enormous estates and manor houses that would be famous today, and all that's left of them are drawings.

I think that's the only time I folded and asked someone if they could tell me the name of a location. But I should have provided a link to his flicker page in the placemark, that's been fixed now.

And thanks everyone for the kind words! :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#55 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow RC, what a story! Sometimes you just need a little friendly help. ;)
rubber chicken wrote:Also worth noting is that much of the Honolulu area has been updated with new aerial photos. That area can now be zoomed in closer and is much more detailed and clear. It also means some important things from the Magnum world could have been changed or erased, but I haven't noticed anything like that yet.
This is great! The resolution and clarity around Honolulu is just amazing. Makes you almost feel like you are there!
rubber chicken wrote:2.5 - NAVAL INTELLIGENCE HEADQUARTERS

2.7 - "One of them was a sumo wrestler. And the other was a midget or a dwarf."
Great finds! And they are almost right next to each other. Do I want to know how you found the "Gas & Go"? No, probably not.... ;)
rubber chicken wrote:3.11 - "There are about 19 or 20 guys all over 250 pounds, let's go in."
Cool, a maintenance building for the Omega Transmitter Station!
rubber chicken wrote:5.22 - "Oahu Prison Farm"
Another Bellows Air Force Station location, this one right smack in the middle of the air field! Love all the info you put in the guide RC. Very interesting history!
rubber chicken wrote:Walker Estate (placemark in Secondary Locations)
Wow, so the total number of episodes to use the Walker Estate is now at 8! :shock:

Thank you again for this unbelievably-amazing, multimedia MPI filming location guide rubber chicken! It's just incredible! :)