Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

One thing you guys gotta check out as you are using "Rubber Chicken's Guide to Magnum P.I. Locations" is the Flight Simulator feature that comes with Google Earth. It's a little tricky to figure out at first, but once you get the hang of it you can fly around Oahu in a SR22 (or an F16!) while checking out the Magnum locations!

Here I am approaching Diamond Head. I hope I don't crash into it!.... :o

The keyboard control guide can be found here: http://earth.google.com/intl/en/usergui ... index.html . The main controls are the left/right arrows and the page up/page up (thrust) keys.

The Google Earth flight simulator also includes 27 airports that you can fly in and out of, but sadly Honolulu International Airport (or Hickam Air Force Base) is not one of them.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#32 Post by rubber chicken »

Hehe, James. Been meaning to spend more time trying that, I've done it just a little so far. It might be fun to combine that with the "3D Buildings" option in the Layers window. Most of the buildings from Waikiki to Chinatown are in 3D. And don't forget to buzz Agatha Chumley's house like in Top Gun while shooting the Nuuanu Valley gap. :lol:
golfmobile wrote:Didn't mean to be critical at all!!! I was just delighted I'd been able to find something (other than the plumeria tree).
No offense taken of course. I'm glad people will see your post. :)

One of the reasons I was putting off releasing this project is because of the fact that it isn't finished, and because I have so many more locations to add. So I knew confusing situations like this would come up, with nobody at fault. But the guide has gotten to the point where it can be a great help to many people who would like to visit these locations, so I had to weigh those two factors.
Olivier wrote:Are you ok if we add others locations when we are sure about them ? I' ve just add "Haiku Stairs entrance" (1.17). The place is 21°24'32.82"N and 157°49'19.02"W. I found it when I was in Oahu few months ago.
Well in this case, I consider all of the Haiku Stairs covered by the "T.C. lands & drops off Magnum & Digger" placemark. I usually try to limit the number of placemarks to one per location. And the placemarks in the guide are for actual spots we see in the show (the entrance wasn't seen). But the location of the entrance is useful to people who want to visit the location (even if it is closed for now). So what I've done is included a link to your forum post in the "T.C. lands & drops off Magnum & Digger" placemark, so people can see that info and your photo too. Thanks. :)

And btw golf, the friends of haiku stairs link is included in the "T.C. lands & drops off Magnum & Digger" placemark which James described. :wink: I've changed the name of the placemark to "Haiku Stairs - T.C. lands & drops off Magnum & Digger" to make all this more obvious.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

Sounds cool, but for some reason I can't open it. Could yo post some screen shots or something? I'd love to see it.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

N1095A,

1. Have you installed Google Earth (free)?
2. Do you have an unzip program? I think when you download the file initially, it is zipped and you need to upzip it. So first download it and save it to your hard drive and then you need to unzip it.

Then GE will load it if you have GE installed. Once it's downloaded to your computer and unzipped, if you just double-click on it as if to open it, it should open GE and "insert" it for you.

Hope this helps (if that's the problem).

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Actually, you don't need Winzip. The file is compressed with its own internal file format (the "z" in KMZ). All you need to do is install Google Earth > download the .kmz file > double-click the .kmz file (and Google Earth will launch and take you straight to Oahu).

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#36 Post by rubber chicken »

I have a new update for my Rubber Chicken Guide to Magnum P.I. Filming Locations. Version 1.1 includes twenty two new locations, big and small, for a new total of 350 placemarks. (I listed 330 locations in the first release. I can't tell you how 330 + 22 equals 350...)

Here's the list of new locations:

1.15 - Agatha Kimble
2.1 - Ito
2.1 - Ito helipad
3.12 - driving to Dr. Karen Harmon's residence (pov)
4.18 - Hoon Ching
5.8 - Magnum speaks with Mr. Gaylord
6.1 - Robin's Keep
6.11 - "Kahuku Lagoon"
6.11 - "I'd like to talk to you about your son, Keli'i."
6.11 - "... a small airfield ... out past Mokuleia."
6.13 - R.J. Masters pulled over by cop
6.17 - "Miami, 1975"
6.17 - camera pans NW to SE
6.17 - Rick & TC arrive to visit Magnum
6.17 - "Mokupuni Hotel"
6.17 - Driscoll gets away
6.17 - "Randolph building"
6.20 - "It's $420,000. That's all I've got."
7.16 - trapped with Sleepy-Time Gal and Herman
7.16 - office of David Albertson
8.5 - "A house was built for Princess Kahiwalani..."
8.8 - "Transport Quang Ki to Ile Debonnevie 2100 hours 1/18."

And here is the new .kmz file: Magnum P.I. locations 1.1.kmz

For those who haven't used a .kmz file before, refer to either the instructions in the page which James has made, or in my original post.

Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#37 Post by Olivier »

Downloaded ! Thank you so much.

Do you still have any important locations you don' t find ?

maveriks
Commander

#38 Post by maveriks »

thank you very much "rubber chicken" for your works and program in google heart!
is very coll!!! when i will go in the hawaii paradise i will use it to go in best set of magnum pi serial!!!!

thank you again :-)
if you will give me also the money for the airplain from italy to hawaii i will send you other a lot of thank you :wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great, great update rubber chicken! 350 placemarks! Wow! This is truly a guide to be treasured. Thank you so much again. :)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#40 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow, rc...I am truly astounded by all the work that went into this! A sincere thanks from me to you. This will give me many hours of pleasure and fun! (Since I am once again car-less! Already!!!!):D :D :D

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#41 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

RC I think sometimes Master Location Sleuth is almost an insult to your skill!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Steve »

Okay........I already have Google Earth and I have all of the overlays installed, but how do I get the Flight Simulator to work,........ and, is there a way I can use my joystick I use for my Microsoft Flight Simulator instead of monkeying around with my keyboard?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#43 Post by rubber chicken »

Glad everyone is enjoying this! Even though I have many screenshots of locations I can place, it's hard to find the time sometimes to put it together, but updates should keep coming.

Steve - I haven't used the flight simulator much but I found a few links. This page might have what you're looking for. And here's the complete Google Earth User Guide. Hope these help.

Olivier wrote:Do you still have any important locations you don' t find ?
Yeah, at least one common location in the show comes to mind. Sorry to be coy, but I'm hoping to find it on my own and if I mention the location I'm afraid someone might know. If not offhand, someone who worked on the show could be asked. Anyhow, every Sherlock Holmes needs a Professor Moriarty to tackle, least he become bored and reach for the opium. :shock:

I can say though there aren't any locations I've given up on. At least for those locations in the show which have enough clues to make a positive ID possible.

ConchRepublican wrote:This is the most awesome thing in the history of awesome things

I will be planning a vacation around this.

Seriously.
I just reread part of the thread and I had meant to respond to this (from page 2). I think a vacation based on visiting Magnum P.I. locations would be a great way to see Oahu. There are so many locations that are interesting in their own right. Being a Magnum P.I. fan would add to the experience but needn't be required. Going quickly around in google earth, I see a number of places of interest:

USS Arizona Memorial - Almost Home (3.11)
Kapena Falls - The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u (6.9)
Queen Emma Summer Palace - Forever in Time (8.5)
Punchbowl National Cemetery - The Last Page (2.20)
Oahu Cemetery (founded 1844) - Forever in Time (8.5) (and others)
Manoa Chinese Cemetery - China Doll (1.3)
The Honolulu Zoo - (a few episodes)
Tantalus Lookout - (a small number of episodes)
The Contemporary Museum Honolulu - the home of Diane & Diedre Dupres from Echoes of the Mind (5.1 & 5.2) and the home of Mitsu McWilliams from The Taking of Dick McWilliams (2.10) - (two separate former houses now on the same property)
Hanauma Bay - (a few episodes more or less)
Sandy Beach Park - (a number of episodes)
Makapuu Lighthouse area - (a number of episodes)
Sea Life Park - Old Acquaintance (6.3)
Kamehame Ridge - (a number of episodes)
New Town and Country Stables (if there's something going on) - (a number of episodes)
Pali Golf Course - (a few episodes)
Byodo-in-Temple, Valley of the Temples - (many episodes)
Kaaawa Valley - (many episodes)

There's many more depending on the personal preference. I wouldn't mind simply sitting for a while under the tree from Let Me Hear the Music (5.18 ). You could also take a drive through the wealthy Kahala neighborhood, and the Nuuanu Valley. Or go to the North Shore and see many locations. And of course there's too many locations in Waikiki and the downtown and state capital areas to mention.

All these places and more would be an excuse to drive around, explore and learn about Oahu. Just pick and choose.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#44 Post by Artie Canoe »

This is great, and as I'm going to Hawaii this christmas I'll be sure to visit all the Magnum locations and take lots of pictures! Thanks a lot rubber chicken

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#45 Post by rubber chicken »

All of the locations? ;) I'm sure everyone here would enjoy seeing current photos of whichever locations you're able to see, and I wish you a successful journey!