Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#131 Post by J.J. Walters »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
burny wrote:not sure if this has posted elsewhere....tom's Oahu home "walk-thru"...
quality is a little rough, but it's watchable....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmqFdDoWmY
Quality on that couldn't be worse! Still, pretty interesting. I wonder what show that was? Looks like a pretty sweet bachelor pad.
LOL! Audio out of sync, poor video quality, grunting noises, camera tapping. :)

But still, a rare piece of video! I've never seen the inside of Selleck's Black Point pad before! What a beautiful house! Interesting that Selleck lived in (rented) the cottage when he arrived on the islands to film Magnum, and after the show took off he bought the whole house from the owners. Love the caricature of Selleck that the owners made!

:)

When they show the upstairs bedrooms and the host (off screen) says, "Upstairs, well..." With the poor audio, it sounds for all the world like he then says "... if the mattress could speak." :shock: LOL!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by Sam »

Hi burny,

Thanks for posting the video.I have a feeling that video was done in 2001 when Selleck listed the house.

The diologue makes it a fluff piece and not a sales pitch.

I noticed the furniture in the guesthouse livingroom is the same as the pics from a 2001 listing..

Cap from the video is shown first followed by pic from listing.The listing is from the first offering in 2001 when it was offered at 2.76..and sold for 2.5.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/0 ... tory2.html

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2001/1 ... tory5.html
http://www.morehawaii.com/featuredhome/ ... likuli.htm

Ullie
Lieutenant

#133 Post by Ullie »

J.J. Walters wrote:Ok, I've added the file to the site and I've created a page for rubber chicken's amazing piece of work: http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html . The page is referenced on the right column of all pages that have a right column (250 pages). I've also added a description and link to the page on the top part of the On Location page.

All hail the great rubber chicken! :)
TY Rubber Chicken and JJ Walters for your great job, I printed the location guide out for my 3rd trip to Oahu and hopefully this time I will find all the Magnum PI locations thanx to you guys.
Ulli

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#134 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks Ullie, enjoy your trip! :)

Ullie
Lieutenant

#135 Post by Ullie »

TY, and if I find Robin´s Nest this time, I will post a pic, lol
Ulli

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#136 Post by steveadl »

Ullie wrote:TY, and if I find Robin´s Nest this time, I will post a pic, lol
When you hit the beach park - you've gone too far! :D

old_dusseldorf
Ensign

#137 Post by old_dusseldorf »

Last week I was on Ohau and now I'm on the Big Island before flying back to Amsterdam!

The RC-guide for Google Earth was essential for my trip! Thanks a lot.

I enjoyed my trip a lot! The War Memorial Natatorium is in a terrible shape. You can't go in there anymore....... and we were not very welcome in a hotel nearby Waialae Beach Park. Before I could get out of the car, I was asked to leave........ members only.....

At Robin Nest it was high tide, but I enjoyed being there! And I was not alone.... more Magnum Maniacs were there!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#138 Post by rubber chicken »

I wish they would fix up the War Memorial Natatorium. It has a great history and purpose, and it fits well into the culture of Oahu with the swimming and the ocean atmosphere. Maybe you pulled into the Waialae Country Club parking lot? I see that it's the next one past the Waialae Beach Park parking lot.

I envy you, and anyone who has visited Oahu. I've only been there virtually myself. :) Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you put the guide to good use! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

old_dusseldorf
Ensign

#139 Post by old_dusseldorf »

Yes Iḿ sure it was the parking lot of the Waialae Country Club.

I thought they used the entrance of that club as the entrance of the King Kamehamehaclub.
I don't know.....

When I was there it rained very hard........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#140 Post by J.J. Walters »

Psst! rubber chicken, check it out.

http://www.magnum-pi.com/category/lieux ... magnum-pi/

:)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#141 Post by rubber chicken »

Hmm... interesting. Here's an English translation by google. In addition to to linking the Magnum Manina link, I wish they would have linked to your page for the guide and the forum thread.

But perhaps the site is intended primarily for people who speak only French, so I'm happy more people will have a chance to discover and enjoy the guide. :) The graphic is very well done!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#142 Post by J.J. Walters »

RC, I posted this in the episode thread, but in case you missed it I'm posting it here (it probably should have been here to begin with)... In case you do another update to the location guide. ;)

From "The Eighth Part of the Village" (3.4):

The pool hall scene with Magnum, T.C., Rick, Mr. Harms (Donald Gibb) and Mr. Jansen (Dick Durock) was filmed on location at the Cebu Pool Hall (Hotel and River Streets), which appears to have been a rather notorious Filipina hangout for many years. The hall was part of the H.Y. Wong building (built in 1906), which at the time of this episode was one of the last remaining wood-flame structures in the downtown Honolulu area. The building was razed in 1992 and replaced with low-income housing.

*Interesting article about the building*

ImageImage
ImageImage

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#143 Post by Styles Bitchley »

J.J. Walters wrote:The pool hall scene with Magnum, T.C., Rick, Mr. Harms (Donald Gibb) and Mr. Jansen (Dick Durock) was filmed on location at the Cebu Pool Hall (Hotel and River Streets), which appears to have been a rather notorious Filipina hangout for many years. The hall was part of the H.Y. Wong building (built in 1906), which at the time of this episode was one of the last remaining wood-flame structures in the downtown Honolulu area. The building was razed in 1992 and replaced with low-income housing.
What a beautifully grungy place! I feel like I can smell the stale beer, sweat and cigarette smoke.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"What a beautifully grungy place!" I used to cut school and hang out shooting pool at this pool hall and others in Chinatown. No beer to be had in a pool hall, so if you can smell beer, it comes from next door. I didn't notice any notorious female Pillafeenos all my years there, though.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#145 Post by ConchRepublican »

There is a chance I will be putting this guide to use next year.

I'm trying not to get excited.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04