Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Coops »

For this work you deserve a free membership to Magnum Mania! In fact, I'll pay for it!

EXCELLENT work, amazing!

:D

Jaybird
Admiral

#12 Post by Jaybird »

I am overwhelmed! Thank you for providing hours of internet fun.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Steve »

Wow! Absolutely amazing..........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#14 Post by J.J. Walters »

In looking at all these filming locations (they sure covered a lot of Oahu ground!), I'm surprised they never filmed anything on the west (or SW) side of the island.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Sam,

I went looking for your location.

It was a dirty job, but somebody had to do it.

At first, I thought it might be somewhere on this estate.

But, alas, no, it wasn't there.

But I found that it is part of the landscaping at Turtle Bay Estate on the North Shore, and it is here:

I promise!!

I'm not as good as rubberchicken, but this was just too easy to locate on Google Earth.

:lol:
golf
"Portside, buddy."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Steve »

Oh man...........That is so funny! We just have to have that Magnum Mania Convention or meet & greet or get together or whatever you want to call it someday. You all truly make me laugh uncontrollably at times......

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#17 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I glad everyone is now getting the chance to stroll through so much of the Magnum universe. I'll be thrilled to hear when people vacation in Oahu and visit some of these sites. :)

As I said in my post, the work combines a number of things I really enjoy. And as I've gotten better at it I'm often amazed that it's even possible for some of these locations to be found just by using the internet. It truly demonstrates how powerful the web can be nowadays. Even only five years ago I doubt many of my searches could have been as successful.
James J. Walters wrote:... 300+ filming locations, many with detailed placemarks that include descriptions, pics, MM episode guide and forum links, and other web links! ...
Honestly James, your site provided much inspiration for this project. Magnum Mania is so well made, and so easy to use it's a real pleasure to work with while I'm putting together a location. I admire your attention to detail, in the site's design and information provided. It matches my own perfectionist nature. You may have noticed that I use your episode numbering system, and as you said each placemark I make in google earth includes the link to your awesome episode guide. I also use the site to get character names and numerous other details needed to complete a placemark. I always work a Magnum Mania page open.
Sam wrote:... I'm looking for a location not related to MPI.I do know it's somewhere on the North Shore of Oahu.So maybe if you find the time you could help me out...Here is the link to the location...Thanks! ...
hehe, Sam. I had my doubts about finding that one, but luckily golf came through for you. I think I'll retire from location hunting now. :D
James J. Walters wrote:In looking at all these filming locations (they sure covered a lot of Oahu ground!), I'm surprised they never filmed anything on the west (or SW) side of the island.
Yeah, when I first started searching for locations I used to look over at the western mountains and elsewhere, but they just don't seem to have gone there (from what I've found so far) except on the north shore side of the mountains. I think the western area is largely military and industrial. As the map shows, the only thing in the south west that I've found so far is the beach bunker from 3.5. The airplane bunker is also near there located somewhere at Ewa Field but I haven't pinpointed that spot yet in google earth. Which makes sense of course since it's purpose was to protect planes from enemy air attacks.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

This is the most awesome thing in the history of awesome things

I will be planning a vacastion around this.

Seriously.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

layne
Vice Admiral

#19 Post by layne »

Wow. You're fantastic RC! Thanks for sharing with us. I LOVE this site...and James you're the best for bringing this (us) all together!

I'm going to find a way to get to Hawaii if it kills me now that I am learning where to go! Thanks golf for the pics. I'm trying my best not to be jealous. I'll just be envious instead.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey, nice find golf!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, I've added the file to the site and I've created a page for rubber chicken's amazing piece of work: http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html . The page is referenced on the right column of all pages that have a right column (250 pages). I've also added a description and link to the page on the top part of the On Location page.

All hail the great rubber chicken! :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#22 Post by rubber chicken »

Awww... great? Really, I consider myself just an average run of the mill rubber chicken. :P

Very nice job on the page James! Clear and concise as always, with a nice thumbnail of the Google Earth window. The small rubber chicken icon is a nice touch! It looks like he's floating suspended in space. :lol:

I'm glad more people will come across it now, being linked on the main pages. I hope travelers to Oahu put it to use! Apologies in advance to spouses and family members who happen to not be Magnum P.I. fans. :wink:

By the by, depending on monitor size, eyesight, and personal preference, people may want to try out a smaller than default font size in Google Earth, which allows more of the placemark titles to be viewed at one time. In the Mac version which I use that setting is found in the Preferences, in the "3D View" tab window, then under "Labels/Icon Size." On a PC it should be similar. I use "Small" myself, but see what you like best.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Lily »

Wow! What an incredible job you have done, Rubber Chicken! Thanks so much!

When we are there next February, will be sure to check out some of the places we have missed on previous trips, due to not knowing the actual locations. Again, super job and many thanks!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#24 Post by golfmobile »

RC,

I found one for you to add. I just watched "Blind Justice" (5.7) and the courthouse used for the trial in that episode is actually the Supreme Court Building so a state criminal court trial wouldn't have been in that building. Nevertheless, I went looking for it and . . . . tada!

I checked to see if it is on your map, but I think it's not. It's interesting because another statue of King Kamehameha is in front of this building too.

Interestingly, all the shots of the courthouse in this episode seem to specifically avoid getting the KK statue in the shot. Maybe that was because it would have made the courthouse too identifiable? It seems pretty identifiable to me, just by itself, forget having to have the statue in front of it to identify it. And the building is approximately across the street from the Iolani Palace.

What I don't see on GE is the "justice" statue (with the scales and blindfold) shown in the last shot with TM and Carol after they've exited the courthouse and are discussing what happened but seem to be standing under a tree to the right of the building (as you face the building). But even that shot looks to be somewhat "staged" -- a 1980s version of Photoshop-ping a shot to add something not really there, so the viewer gets not too subtly hit over the head with a picture of "Blind Justice," the statue, to point out the name of the episode? Ouch!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

Yeah, that's one of those I alluded to in my original post that has likely been in a number of shows but I hadn't yet added to the map. Will have to get to that, but in the meantime your post will let people know.