Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#151 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:
KENJI wrote:That's great news Conch!
Fill us in!
Not Cozi related, just finally THAT trip may finally be happening. But that don't mean I may not be able to make something more out of it . . . . :wink:
Great news, Conch. Excited for you!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#152 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Is 1.5 still the current version?

UHmanoa-guy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#153 Post by UHmanoa-guy »

Aloha all. New to this board, but have been reading it for awhile. Just wanted to say hello. I went to school at uh manoa, hence the user name and lived in Hawaii (Oahu 4 /2 and Maui 1/2) years so I have seen a lot of the filming locations or areas from the show. Was funny to see how often they use most of the driving scenes to and from robins nest that go by makapu'u and sandys beach. Great thread rubber chicken and your work looks very accurate from my experiences.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#154 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome UHmanoa-guy!

If you've been lurking, you already know what an awesome site this is, so won't waste time telling you all about it.

Always good to see people who have actually been to the sites and especially spent extended time on the island/s.

Interested in hearing any stories, experiences related to film sites or just the island in general. Also, pictures are always welcome...hint..hint. :lol:

There's a nice Mera (308 copy by Pontiac and Custom Concepts) for sale on Kauai! :magnum:

Welcome.... 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#155 Post by Sam »

I'm unable to access Rubber Chickens guide,anyone else having issues with the guide?

http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#156 Post by ConchRepublican »

I just downloaded it last week and it was working then. It did seem like there was a questionable file associated with it that Avast! caught, but other than that, I'm planning my trip. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#157 Post by Sam »

Thanks CR,
I was able to access it thru my phone,now I need to get it to open in Google Earth.For a moment I thought the guide was no longer available which would be a real shame.

Cool beans on your upcoming trip,a decade in the making.I see Kenji has volunteered to help,also feel free to PM me if you have any unanswered questions.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#158 Post by T.Q. »

Went to Byodo-In last month for the first time.

Was an incredible place.

Wifey was annoyed by my constant Magnum references. :lol:

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#159 Post by Sam »

Welcome aboard TQ..... the temple is always an Oasis from the hustle and bustle... good choice on the photo..that particular photo has been in my top 3 favorites for the last 10 years.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#160 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:Welcome aboard TQ..... the temple is always an Oasis from the hustle and bustle... good choice on the photo..that particular photo has been in my top 3 favorites for the last 10 years.

"Port side, Buddy"...Wonder if that scene will be in this reboot?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#161 Post by golfmobile »

I doubt if they will do much as it was done in the original. Maybe a few minor "salutes" here and there, but other than that, I think it will be more a "new" version, as with the new Hawaii Five-O.

On a side note, I don't know if there are any Outlander fans here (I tend to doubt it), but it is a show that is drawing fans by the thousands to Scotland to see the filming locations there used in the STARZ TV show. It has been great boon for Scotland tourism. (And not that Hawaii needs MPI to enhance tourism!!! Recently the female star of Outlander said if she were to send the two main characters in Outlander on a honeymoon, she would send them to Hawaii!!) Outlander is the only other show I know that people want to see the filming locations with the same intensity that the MPI locations engender in MPI fans. I confess when I saw Midhope Castle in Scotland (used as the male lead's "home" in Scotland), I got the same lump in my throat that I got when I went to the Anderson Estate beach.

Just sayin' . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#162 Post by T.Q. »

Sam wrote:Welcome aboard TQ..... the temple is always an Oasis from the hustle and bustle... good choice on the photo..that particular photo has been in my top 3 favorites for the last 10 years.
Thanks. Was an amazing place.

Peaceful.

Actually surprised they allowed it to be used so much for filming. :P

It is a nice photo. Took some beauties myself too.

Cheers.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#163 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:I doubt if they will do much as it was done in the original. Maybe a few minor "salutes" here and there, but other than that, I think it will be more a "new" version, as with the new Hawaii Five-O.

On a side note, I don't know if there are any Outlander fans here (I tend to doubt it), but it is a show that is drawing fans by the thousands to Scotland to see the filming locations there used in the STARZ TV show. It has been great boon for Scotland tourism. (And not that Hawaii needs MPI to enhance tourism!!! Recently the female star of Outlander said if she were to send the two main characters in Outlander on a honeymoon, she would send them to Hawaii!!) Outlander is the only other show I know that people want to see the filming locations with the same intensity that the MPI locations engender in MPI fans. I confess when I saw Midhope Castle in Scotland (used as the male lead's "home" in Scotland), I got the same lump in my throat that I got when I went to the Anderson Estate beach.

Just sayin' . . . .

golf
golf, great to hear from you again! I've been gone a while, but now I'm back. You've been here a long time. Still swinging the clubs? :)

I can't watch the Outlander series, as I don't have cable (only over-the-air and streaming for me), but I read the first three books in the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series years ago. I really enjoyed them, but as bibliophile I have so many books on my "to be read" list, I just stopped and moved on to others. She's a really good writer. Who knows, I may continue on with the series at some point.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#164 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Here's a newly discovered filming location as well as some on-set pics for TC's "12th Avenue Clubhouse" from "A Little Bit of Luck... A Little Bit of Grief". It's currently a strip mall but back then it was an empty lot, and the clubhouse was located just behind where the Snow Factory frozen dessert shop is today here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Snow+ ... 57.8331874

If you google street view the location, you can see the house behind the clubhouse which is still there but the decorative brown detail on the house is now painted white.

Side view of the house behind the clubhouse, then...

And front & side view now...

The apartment buildings across the street are still there, and that's the Century Center Condominium building in the distance.

Then...

And now...

Other on-set pics...

Thanks to Sam for the suggestion to try to find it. If there are other locations that R.C. hasn't found please let me know and I'd love to give it a shot. :D

Levidale
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#165 Post by Levidale »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Here's a newly discovered filming location as well as some on-set pics for TC's "12th Avenue Clubhouse" from "A Little Bit of Luck... A Little Bit of Grief". It's currently a strip mall but back then it was an empty lot, and the clubhouse was located just behind where the Snow Factory frozen dessert shop is today here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Snow+ ... 57.8331874

If you google street view the location, you can see the house behind the clubhouse which is still there but the decorative brown detail on the house is now painted white.

Side view of the house behind the clubhouse, then...

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
And front & side view now...

The apartment buildings across the street are still there, and that's the Century Center Condominium building in the distance.

Then...

And now...

Other on-set pics...

Thanks to Sam for the suggestion to try to find it. If there are other locations that R.C. hasn't found please let me know and I'd love to give it a shot. :D