Should I get a Tigers cap?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

Should I get a Tigers cap?

#1 Post by Klaus »

Hey guys,

I would like to hear your opinion on that. I am a Lakers fan and wear their caps. But I would really like to buy a "real" baseball cap, that means a fitted one like T. M. wears.

Now I dispise people running around with apparel from a team and not being their fan or even not knowing about this sport or team at all! It happens a lot here in Austria, probably not in the U. S. You maybe think I am crazy but it's just the way I am, I wouldn't wear anything I do not know about or care.

As I do not get to see baseball over here in Europe (but I really love it) and basketball being my first joice, I wouldn't know which team to support. I am fascinated by L. A. and vistited it a couple of times, therefore the most logical choice would be the Dodgers or Angels, as a MPI fan I am of course somehow connected to the Tigers and as a baseball fan in general I somehow like every team. :?

What do you think?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I think since you have no real allegience to any one team in particular, you'd be fine with a Tigers cap. Who knows, it may be your first step in becoming a Tigers fan! I got interested in the Tigers back in the '80s due to the show. I am a Met fan, National League and figured this way I have an American League to have an interest in as well.

Here's a great resource for all things baseball in general:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#3 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I think getting the Tigers hat is no big deal if you are a Magnum fan. I am a huge Cubs fan, but I have a Tigers hat because of my love for the show.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

I think that if you wear the Al's Muffler cap, that you are not necessarily a Tiger's fan, but it shows your support of the show. Sadly, I was not born with a "sports gene" and I detest actually taking part in sports, and don't have any interest in sports teams, but I would wear the Al's Muffler cap. JMHO! :D

BTW, speaking of sports...my now deceased brother-in-law used to work for the Los Angeles Rams, and through him I attended the very first Superbowl game at the Coliseum. (Kansas City vs. Green Bay) I actually sat on the sidelines, and it was SO back in the Stone Age, the players actually SAT on benches (along the sidelines). I sat next to, (of all people) the singer Glen Campbell. He was a really nice guy. <<That's my claim to fame! LOL

Icepick
Admiral

#5 Post by Icepick »

Since you have no allegiance to a baseball team then this would pose a perfect opportunity to become a Detroit fan. There's many people that don't have a connection to a club and become a fan. Look at Kevin Costner being an Arsenal fan or Stallone being an official Everton supporter.

When I was younger I liked to follow Detroit because Magnum did but the overwhelming support for Toronto where I live overtook that, but I still would glance in on them.

With that said, I don't really watch baseball any more and I follow what I've always followed and love, football(soccer).
Icepick - Does it ever occur to you that you are always having to bail your friend Magnum out of trouble?

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Klaus »

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I think it is "safe" to get a Tigers cap, even if I would start to like another team. I love MPI and the cap is part of it, too. Even if I wouldn't like the Tigers, the cap would show that I'm a Magnum fan.

I just gotta find a correct looking one, though...

JonnyDaytona
Captain

#7 Post by JonnyDaytona »

I say wear what makes you happy! If it is a huge issue, you could always get a VM02 cap! I would choose to look at as a tribute to a show that you really love...

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by perfectlykevin »

I say go for it! I wear a Tigers cap, although geographically I used be wearing a Baltimore Orioles cap (which I do sometimes too). :shock: I wear the Tigers for my connection to the show and the O's because it's the closest team, so sorta the home team. I figure I love baseball anyway and would watch almost any game if given the chance-it's all good! :D BTW, the first pro game I saw was... Tigers vs Baltimore! Total coincidence (and I don't believe in those, LOL!)

Kev

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#9 Post by Doc Ibold »

Klaus wrote:Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I think it is "safe" to get a Tigers cap, even if I would start to like another team. I love MPI and the cap is part of it, too. Even if I wouldn't like the Tigers, the cap would show that I'm a Magnum fan.

I just gotta find a correct looking one, though...
As a Tigers Fan myself, you have my blessing!

:wink:

However, you may have some trouble finding the EXACT cap in the show, since MLB has tweaked the makeup of the hats somewhat.

(Not much, but not exact either)

Carmen
MPI

#10 Post by Carmen »

Klaus, I bought mine at Amazon, it`s the modern one, but I like it fine, as I said in another thread, I don`t wear it, it`s just in my car. It`s from New Era and sold by www.bigfan.at over amazon marketplace. Guess you can contact them easily *G*
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by Klaus »

I know what you're thinking, and you are right! Since I do not favor an MLB team, I guess I could choose whichever I want. I remember when in the early 90ies I started to buy everything connected with American sports, apparel here in Austria was so hard to get and I bought whatever was available. I only got picky with NBA stuff, I wouldn't wear anything else but Lakers, maybe except something Michael Jordan to honour him.

As I want definitely a cap like the pros wear, I probably get a new version. But I do not like the polyester and the underside of the visor is black now. The older ones had green ones as green colours are pleasant to the human eye.

Camen, the website you provided doesn't work, but I remember finding it once...

Have a look at this, I think it is the old style and it is made of wool! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=020

Carmen
MPI

#12 Post by Carmen »

I only got picky with NBA stuff, I wouldn't wear anything else but Lakers, maybe except something Michael Jordan to honour him
So, are you going to watch the first finals game thursday night? Do you think the Lakers will win the title??
We live close to where Dirk Nowitzki came from, so we`re Mavs fans of course, but my son sets his alarm friday morning 3.00 for watching Lakers vs. Boston.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Klaus
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by Klaus »

Carmen, I am happy that the Lakers are in the finals and that they will play the Celtics. Remembers me of the 80ies. But I do not know the teams (by that I mean I don't know how the play) since DSF quit showing the NBA a few years back. So I cannot judge their chances, but I hope and believe they will win. I am not a big fan of Kobe Bryant, although it seems he has changed with age. I love Derek Fisher and his attitude.

Dirk is a great player and I admire him! He had a superb attitude and seems a very nice, down to earth guy. He should've got a Finals ring, when the Mavs lost I felt really sorry for him.