Magnum, P.I. dropped from WGN lineup?

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eegorr
Vice Admiral

Magnum, P.I. dropped from WGN lineup?

#1 Post by eegorr »

Please, say it isn't so! Starting tomorrow, they are showing Nash Bridges in place of MPI at 10:00AM EDT. :evil:

Does anyone know any more about this? Did I miss a pre-announcement about it?
Last edited by eegorr on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#2 Post by grapeshot »

Oh dear, it looks like you may be right. I just did a search for Magnum in my local listings, and it only comes up as being on Sleuth for the next two weeks, and there are no episodes on WGN. And Sleuth only shows episodes from the first three seasons!

This is terrible!

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by eegorr »

I sent an email earlier to superstationwgn@tribune.com to find out if it is a temporary or permanent change.

We should all email them to show our dissapointment with their apparent decision.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Miss Q »

I have to agree its been dropped....

http://www.tv-now.com/stars/selleck.html

The above site only lists the sleuth channel for the month
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

:(

A most unfortunate move on WGN's part. But watch, i'll be back ... and on WGN. You can't stop MPI. You can only try to contain it!

;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#6 Post by Doc Ibold »

How irritating.

It's my only way of seeing Season 7 and 8.

How can you drop Magnum PI for Cheech and Don Johnson?!!

To quote Higgins from "Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too",

'OUTRAGEOUS!'

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by 308GTS »

You guys are lucky that it's on at all. We here in the UK haven't had it on TV for at least 7-8 years. Most young Brits wouldn't even know who Magnum was which is very sad. Oddly enough it's been hugely popular on DVD, possibly because people like me (in their 40's) have been buying it. Thank god for DVD's is all I can say.

Nash Bridges is a cool show apart from the fact that it's more or less Miami Vice but on the West Coast.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#8 Post by eegorr »

eegorr wrote:I sent an email earlier to superstationwgn@tribune.com to find out if it is a temporary or permanent change.
Here is their reply:
Unfortunately, our licensing agreement with the distributor of “Magnum, P.I.” has expired.

Thanks for writing and watching.

George

Yeah, so why don't you renew it? What BS! :evil:

I wouldn't even mind watching Nash Bridges, mostly because of Cheech Marin, but I refuse to watch it on WGN because they offed Magnum this way!

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by grapeshot »

That's kind of a non-committal response!

It takes two to make a licensing agreement. We, of course, don't know what's going on behind the scenes here, but it IS possible that Universal, for reasons of their own, didn't want to renew WGN's license to broadcast MPI.

(Or, more likely, WGN didn't want to pay what Universal was asking.)
(Or, WGN wanted to "freshen up" it's daytime lineup.)

Whatever the deal is, it's a darned shame. Bastages.

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with grapeshot's comment. (Bastages!) Maybe WGN's ratings will sink and they'll have to bring it back. I feel so fortunate that here in the Los Angeles area Magnum is on two times a day on local channels.

frog480
Lieutenant Commander

#11 Post by frog480 »

ou guys are lucky that it's on at all. We here in the UK haven't had it on TV for at least 7-8 years. Most young Brits wouldn't even know who Magnum was which is very sad. Oddly enough it's been hugely popular on DVD, possibly because people like me (in their 40's) have been buying it. Thank god for DVD's is all I can say.

Nash Bridges is a cool show apart from the fact that it's more or less Miami Vice but on the West Coast.

Plenty of people in their 30's too!

I like Nash Bridges also, just like Magnum, ITV showed it at stupid times and missed eps out.

SelleckLover

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

I was talking with my husband, Jim, telling him how we're all bummed out that Magnum is only on the Sleuth Channel now on a regular basis. He says that he thinks that the reason Universal is keeping it off the air to maybe help boost DVD sales. I know that I haven't bought any of the DVDs. Why should I when Magnum was on three times daily here in the Los Angeles area? Actually, it was on a local channel (KDOC), but it was unceremoniously dropped this week. I can't even imagine that they would make more $$ from the DVD sales than from selling the reruns.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#13 Post by Shermy »

When channels license a show, there are certain limitations to how many times they can air it. So when it's constantly in syndication, it eventually has to be pulled until they can start airing it again. This used to happen to TV Land all the time. They would air something so frequently, it would finally have to be replaced on the schedule for the remainder of the year.

Channels generally don't mind this approach, as it allows them to rotate older shows and provide more variety. But whatever WGN's reasoning, my guess is that MPI will eventually be back in a few months.

SelleckLover

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

Love your avatar Shermy. Your explanation makes more sense than the one I suggested. :D

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#15 Post by Shermy »

SelleckLover wrote:Love your avatar Shermy. Your explanation makes more sense than the one I suggested.
You know, I think there may be a correlation there.

I've noticed that with Elmo Higgins delivering my posts, I've started to believe virtually everything I write. :lol: