Magnum P.C.

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

Magnum P.C.

#1 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I knew Lenkov would do things that would leave the show unrecognizable. The current H50 has title, location and character names in common with the original; that’s it. Let us prepare ourselves for an Ultra HD exercise in pain. One of the reasons I come here is to avoid the political climate, but I just can’t take this anymore.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/new-magnum- ... 0/#respond
Faith and Begorrah!

Algernon Farnsworth
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Magnum P.C.

#2 Post by Algernon Farnsworth »

Magnum was supposed to be relatable to veterans; during Vietnam, 11.6% serving were non-white. In 2015, 40% of the active-duty military was non-white. So it makes sense that they would consider it, to make the new Magnum more like the vets of today.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#3 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I retired from the United States Army almost 5 years ago after 27 years of active duty. I signed onto Magnum Mania while I was on terminal leave. I can tell you for a fact there are about 10 people in the entertainment industry that give a hoot about the pieces of my body I left from Panama to Afghanistan and everywhere in between. I don’t believe for one minute it’s got anything to do with demographics of a modern military. The demographics of DoD Special Operations Command are nothing like the ones you quoted anyway. I’m not going to argue about this. I know what’s going on here. Lenkov has cops killing 20 to 30 bad guys an episode (not so PC) on H50. I can’t imagine what stupidity awaits MPI. The Eva Longoria show was a better idea.
Faith and Begorrah!

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Ahh, come on Paddy, you didn't really think that a reboot could escape today's PC culture did you? :wink:

I suspect Lenkov and the network are only considering it because of the ridiculous backlash over Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park's exits from H50. :roll:

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#5 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Ahh, come on Paddy, you didn't really think that a reboot could escape today's PC culture did you? :wink:

I suspect Lenkov and the network are only considering it because of the ridiculous backlash over Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park's exits from H50. :roll:
You’re 100% right; denial has spread into my whole life since becoming an essential parenting tool.
Faith and Begorrah!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#6 Post by Styles Bitchley »

They’re not making a reboot to honour the original or vets or...anything. They’re trying to make a successful franchise that makes them $$$. That’s it. They’ve got demo researchesrs on the job and they’re hoping the get it all right. And I’m sorry to say that those of us who were alive to enjoy the original run are probably not in the top demo anymore. Don’t get your hopes up or you’ll only be let down. Accept that it will probably suck and you may just be pleasantly surprised...or not.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Accept that it will probably suck
Trust me Styles, I already have! LOL! :lol: :lol:

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#8 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Yep this is guaranteed to be terrible haha. The absolute only reason they are recasting to a non-white person is to dissuade the similarities of Magnum and the current Steve McGarret from Five-O. Its incredibly naïve of Lenkov and CBS to not think viewers will see this and know its pandering to PC culture. Also in USA today there was an article in 2015 that stated for the 753 officers in the Navy SEALS eight were black. 1% It completely blows my mind that the creative big heads working at this network didn't try to just come up with a New show and make new characters and write something original that could tie into Five-O, Why use Magnum's good name try and "sell" it. Obviously the 1980s generation will hate it and millennials just don't care.
That reminds me of the time....

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:I knew Lenkov would do things that would leave the show unrecognizable. The current H50 has title, location and character names in common with the original; that’s it. Let us prepare ourselves for an Ultra HD exercise in pain. One of the reasons I come here is to avoid the political climate, but I just can’t take this anymore.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/new-magnum- ... 0/#respond
I get ya Paddy, and in todays world this is a delicate topic, even though it shouldn't be.

What happened to just getting the best person for the role? Who out there can best capture the seriousness, the humor, the need to be convinvingly deadly, yet goofy and slapstick, messy, distrated and slightly a user, yet endearing?

Everything now is casting for demographics and having a diverse look, and not about the actual abilities involved. I refer to Dr. King in these situations and I'd prefer the focus be on the content of character, or in this case talent and ability, over the color of one's skin, no matter what that may be. But that sadly is not the priority today.

And, if I haven't mentioned it before, thank you for your service!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#10 Post by ☨magnum.t »

That reminds me of the time....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#11 Post by marlboro »

I guess we can scrap all of the scenes with Higgins berating Magnum for being lazy now, huh?

All I want out of this is a nice Bluray release of the original series followed up by a quick cancellation.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:I guess we can scrap all of the scenes with Higgins berating Magnum for being lazy now, huh?

All I want out of this is a nice Bluray release of the original series followed up by a quick cancellation.
So, we want it to See the Sunrise?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#13 Post by marlboro »

Best case scenario:

Opening montage of what's coming up on the first episode of Magnum PC.
Ferrari drives off cliff as the opening credits roll.
Commercial break announcing American release of magnum on BR.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#14 Post by BWheelz54 »

Well, I suppose CBS has picked its new Magnum. I don't think I could be more let down. Here is the link:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... pi-1086625

I cringe when people start tossing the "politically correct" bomb around. I hate when people use that term to describe anything that's new, and anything that doesn't tie to their expectations or to their norms. I also really hate it when people toss that term around like a crutch to excuse themselves from idiocy. Seems to me, the folks making this Magnum reboot are already using the idea of "inclusiveness" as a crutch with the expectation that people, especially Magnum fans, are just going to shrug at whatever garbage they toss on the screen.

I don't mind if the new Magnum is of hispanic descent, or African-American descent, or Asian descent, or you name it. But I expect care and attention applied to story and character. Make me care about the character, no matter who you choose. Don't offend me by telling me your choice is "inclusive," and then put a half-ass effort into your project. This Jay Hernandez sure looks shimmery, and glossy, and cute. But Magnum was very far from shimmery, glossy and cute. I've a feeling this reboot is going to be so shallow and meaningless.

And that to me, is a terrible shame. I say this time and again, but we could sure use a new Magnum as deep, complicated, flawed and meaningful as the original show gave us. I certainly don't think we need any more cheap glamour and shallow rhetoric.

So not looking forward to the reboot.

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#15 Post by rasgards »

BWheelz54 wrote:I cringe when people start tossing the "politically correct" bomb around. I hate when people use that term to describe anything that's new, and anything that doesn't tie to their expectations or to their norms. I also really hate it when people toss that term around like a crutch to excuse themselves from idiocy. Seems to me, the folks making this Magnum reboot are already using the idea of "inclusiveness" as a crutch with the expectation that people, especially Magnum fans, are just going to shrug at whatever garbage they toss on the screen
Hear! Hear! on using the term Politically Correct. I was disappointed with this entire thread and the shortsightedness of many of my fellow Magnum brethren. Thanks for speaking up.

As for the choice of actors for the new series, I really don't know much about him or his acting style. My hope is that he and the writers combs thru the episodes and really tries to understand what made the original great. I am keeping my expectations low with the hope that I can at least enjoy the show somewhat.
Ras G