Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversation

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversatio

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mac wrote:I like to throw out, "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts", into casual conversation and see it where it takes us.
Great one!

I used to use that so much way back when then when my wife (then girlfriend) got me a watch as a gift, it was inscribed "but jelly donuts go stale".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Cagliostro »

I tend to use Higgins “Quite.” a lot when I’m talking with friends, and “Hi guys.” too. Also if I’m angry at something someone has done I tend use Higgins “Oh my god!”.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Work The Lock wrote:The other one my wife and I use when something doesn't go our way: "Knowing one's station in life. That's the key to happiness, lads." Just saying it makes things feel better. :)
Great quote. I'd use it, but haven't found a way to fit it into conversation.

My wife and I use a quote from the Nazi woman in "Never Again". If one of us says something is over, the other says, "Ja. I guess it finally is!" - said with German accent and a psychotic stare. (a scream of "It was WAR!" is optional)
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#14 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Whenever someone does a favor for me I say "I owe you one". If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.
That reminds me of the time....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GUY »

☨magnum.t wrote:Whenever someone does a favor for me I say "I owe you one". If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Did it ever occur to you that boy cannot count past one......?" ~T.Calvin
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rands
Rear Admiral

#16 Post by Rands »

Like most, I too use the saying "Hi guys". I think the show writers effected the entire English speaking world, with that phrase!

I also use several Higgins sayings. My wife, daughter, and granddaughter, know that I've had enough of a situation, when my "Higgins vernacular" appears.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#17 Post by Styles Bitchley »

☨magnum.t wrote:If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.
I'm stealing this one. :D
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.
I'm stealing this one. :D
I agree, good one.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

RustyPerroP.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by RustyPerroP.I. »

When I let the dogs out, I always say " at your post lads". I like to have a little snifter of brandy in the evenings this time of year. My wife usually scolds me and my reply is always " its good for my cold".
"It's good for my cold"

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

RustyPerroP.I. wrote:I like to have a little snifter of brandy in the evenings this time of year. My wife usually scolds me and my reply is always " its good for my cold".
Let me guess - when you say that, you're wearing a white dinner jacket with sleeves that are too short and you didn't reach for the salt all evening, right? :D

I don't have any dogs, but if I did, every time I unlocked my door I'd say, "Don't look at the dogs, work the lock."

ROBIN 23
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by ROBIN 23 »

Okay...this isn't everyday... :magnum: but I have used T.C.s "Shut-up you mangy pothounds" a few times when dealing with spazzy barking dogs. I tried to bring back the use of calling inconsiderate people "Turkeys" but it didn't stick. :higgins:

Marcus the Lifeguard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#22 Post by Marcus the Lifeguard »

Whenever someone under achieves, my line is... "This is your best event?" from Beauty Knows No Pain.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great topic! Love all the picks so far! :)

I work several different quotes into my daily repertoire.

1) My reply after I've asked my kids if they've done their chores... "The look on your face is even more vacuous than usual. You've failed havn't you?" (Higgins, "Ki'i's Don't Lie")

2) I know I've uttered this many times over the years, "I know what you're thinking... and you're wrong."

3) Conversation to myself every morning when in look into the bathroom mirror... "It matters. It matters, because sometimes you get to a point where easy rationalizations don't cut it anymore. There's gotta be a place where you stop and examine your life, and if it isn't right then maybe you just gotta say no, and no more, ... or stop looking in the mirror." (Magnum, "The Hotel Dick")

4) When I'm fuming mad! "This is outrageous! OUT-RAG-EOUS!!" (Higgins, "Thank Heaven for Little Girls...")

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/outrageous.wav

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Surprisingly, Magnum quotes don't creep into my vocabulary like they should, but two Higgins ones come to mind for possible use: "Have you gone irrevocably, inconceivably mad?!" and "Because that... is the order of the universe!" :lol:

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by Majordomo »

You probably won't believe me when I say I have done this numerous times, but if I am alone (or not with anyone I know and no one notices me) I will break the 4th wall. For example, if I am in the kitchen and I drop my peanut butter bread on the floor, AND it falls peanut-butter-side-down, I will cut my eyes to where a camera could be located that would be a good angle to catch my reaction and the bread on the ground and give that look....

It makes it really difficult to get mad...
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."