Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversation

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversation

#1 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Do you still use Magnum quotes or Magnum-related lines in conversation?

I do. Here are some of the ones I use:

When swimming or sailing into a strong current, I stop and say something like, "There's no doubt about it. We're in the Molokai Express."
(said while looking a bit worried and resigned to my fate)

"The lads are excellent listeners.... excellent." I use this and replace "lads" with whatever whatever animal I'm chatting with at the time. If someone says, "Oh, you're talking to squirrels?", I say, "The squirrels are excellent listeners... excellent." (...but they're not, really)

If somebody drops or shakes my bottle of wine, I look annoyed and say, "Now it's bottle-sick."

"At your posts, lads?" I used to say this to a herd of sheep behind my house.

I've always wanted to get a couple goats and name them Zeus and Apollo, specifically so I can say, "Zeus! Apollo! Patrol!" (...and by "patrol", I mean "walk around the yard and munch grass")

☨magnum.t
Admiral

Re: Magnum P.I. quotes you still use in everyday conversatio

#2 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Almost every day lol. I have two dogs (not Dobermans) I call them the lads though. I say "Hi guys" all the time. I'm also constantly narrating my life in my head and saying "I know what you're thinking"
That reminds me of the time....

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I say "Hi guys" to any bunch of animals looking at me - sheep, cows, chipmunks, etc.. I said "Hi guys" to a group of crows on my deck this morning.

I also occasionally use the quote, "I'm not a bloody American." Like if somebody said to wear jeans, I'd say, "I don't wear jeans. I'm not a bloody American."

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#4 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I greet people with “Hi guy”. I have a good friend that I address by his initials T.C. Anything that slightly disrupts me is greeted with the salutation “This is an outrage!”. My favorite is I have a friend who is such a bad driver that I have called him Mr. Magoo for years. Then I noticed Ernest Borgnine calling Selleck “The Mag” in “Mr. White Death”. I shortened Mr. Magoo to the Mag. I can tell my friend likes it better and I enjoy the Magnum reference.
Faith and Begorrah!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Very cool topic . . .

I use the usual "Hi Guys!" almost daily and have been known to use on many occasions "I know what you're thinking" . . . "I can explain!" and "Higgins, it's not my fault!" more often than I care to admit. I do like dropping the "Scuddily Wugglies" on the unsuspecting as well. :-)

Since Hillerman's passing, I usually toast "to the regiment"

I also adjust things for the circumstances . . . "Cross the street, cross the street, don't look at the bus . . . you looked at the bus!" and have been known to just blurt out "Ahi sushi delivery, your wish for fish come true!" for no real reason.

And . . . reading back through my comment, it seems I may have issues. :?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by eagle »

This is great! I quote other TV shows, but not really MPI. I need to start doing this.

We have guinea pigs, and I say "hi guys" to them all the time, but never thought of that as a MPI quote. I should start calling them lads and see if my wife notices. haha :higgins:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ConchRepublican wrote: and have been known to just blurt out "Ahi sushi delivery, your wish for fish come true!" for no real reason.
I've done that too. I wasn't even delivering sushi at the time, so the quote made no sense.

eagle wrote:I quote other TV shows, but not really MPI.
I do lots of quoting from other shows too. The Simpsons quote "These candidates make me want to vomit in terror!" can be used basically any time there is an election.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I forgot this one... every time I make tacos, I call them "Macho tacos". Unfortunately, I can't eat them with a '57 Chateau du Roi (no wine cellar to steal from, you see), so I usually have to have a much cheaper '15 Bordeaux.

I have no idea how to make a "burrito machismo".

Mac
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Mac »

I like to throw out, "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts", into casual conversation and see it where it takes us.

Work The Lock
Lieutenant

#10 Post by Work The Lock »

Fun topic!

Most of my regular quotes are from Higgins.

I work with an English lady and when she has a slip up, I like to say "And you! You should know better, you're BRITISH!"

The other one my wife and I use when something doesn't go our way: "Knowing one's station in life. That's the key to happiness, lads." Just saying it makes things feel better. :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#11 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mac wrote:I like to throw out, "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts", into casual conversation and see it where it takes us.
Great one!

I used to use that so much way back when then when my wife (then girlfriend) got me a watch as a gift, it was inscribed "but jelly donuts go stale".
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by Cagliostro »

I tend to use Higgins “Quite.” a lot when I’m talking with friends, and “Hi guys.” too. Also if I’m angry at something someone has done I tend use Higgins “Oh my god!”.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Work The Lock wrote:The other one my wife and I use when something doesn't go our way: "Knowing one's station in life. That's the key to happiness, lads." Just saying it makes things feel better. :)
Great quote. I'd use it, but haven't found a way to fit it into conversation.

My wife and I use a quote from the Nazi woman in "Never Again". If one of us says something is over, the other says, "Ja. I guess it finally is!" - said with German accent and a psychotic stare. (a scream of "It was WAR!" is optional)
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#14 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Whenever someone does a favor for me I say "I owe you one". If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.
That reminds me of the time....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by 308GUY »

☨magnum.t wrote:Whenever someone does a favor for me I say "I owe you one". If my girl friend brings me a drink I'll tell her to put it on Robins tab, then she just stares at me like I've lost my mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Did it ever occur to you that boy cannot count past one......?" ~T.Calvin
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"