DVD sets

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

DVD sets

#1 Post by Nikita70 »

I have all of the dvd sets of Magnum. Unfortunately most of them are the dual sided discs and in season 2 I have one disc which is unplayable on one side. While I would love to buy a Blu-ray set it would have to be captioned or subtitled as I have bad hearing. I just started watching season one and am going to take my time going through all seasons, maybe watching one or two episodes per night. I have seen every episode multiple times of course. Overall I am satisfied with the quality of the dvds but still there is a wish for the Blu-ray set. Magnum is my favorite show of all. Too bad the cut rate companies like MC and the like are so concerned with profit they alienate a portion of the potential market so they can save a few bucks. Between deaf and HOH and other language speaking fans I think subtitles would be more than paid for by increased sales. Just saying.

Carol
Ensign

Re: DVD sets

#2 Post by Carol »

I agree. My husband is a bit hard of hearing and he had trouble with the double sided DVDs. The single sided DVDs do have captioning...
"If there`s an answer, it`s just that it`s just that way"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by Nikita70 »

I’m good for now and holding hope a domestic Blu-ray release will be coming soon. If that doesn’t happen then I’ll pick up the single sided discs.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

Nikita70 wrote:I have all of the dvd sets of Magnum. Unfortunately most of them are the dual sided discs and in season 2 I have one disc which is unplayable on one side. While I would love to buy a Blu-ray set it would have to be captioned or subtitled as I have bad hearing. I just started watching season one and am going to take my time going through all seasons, maybe watching one or two episodes per night. I have seen every episode multiple times of course. Overall I am satisfied with the quality of the dvds but still there is a wish for the Blu-ray set. Magnum is my favorite show of all. Too bad the cut rate companies like MC and the like are so concerned with profit they alienate a portion of the potential market so they can save a few bucks. Between deaf and HOH and other language speaking fans I think subtitles would be more than paid for by increased sales. Just saying.
I feel your pain Nikita70, I haven't been able to watch J. Digger Doyle for over a year . . . I'm hoping Santa brings me a region-free Blu-Ray player and the European box set. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by Nikita70 »

I’ve read very mixed reviews of the Blu-ray set. I wish some company would release a domestic US set then we wouldn’t have to worry about speed ups for conversion from PAL or NTSC or whatever they call it these days. Such a shame really. One of the best shows of the 80’s (of all time for me). Yet plenty of other shows not nearly as highly regarded make it to Blu-ray.
If you do get the set and player let us know your thoughts. I’m still tempted even though I know I’d be upset at the lack of subtitles.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Nikita70 »

J. Digger Doyle. Mmm. What else needs to be said.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nikita70 wrote:I’ve read very mixed reviews of the Blu-ray set. I wish some company would release a domestic US set then we wouldn’t have to worry about speed ups for conversion from PAL or NTSC or whatever they call it these days. Such a shame really. One of the best shows of the 80’s (of all time for me). Yet plenty of other shows not nearly as highly regarded make it to Blu-ray.
If you do get the set and player let us know your thoughts. I’m still tempted even though I know I’d be upset at the lack of subtitles.
Have you thought about just ripping the DVDs onto your computer and embedding subtitles into the files? A quick search online shows that there are several sources for Magnum subtitles. No idea how good they are, however! I've spent a lot of time in Asia, and I know the distracting hilarity of reading a non-native English speaker's interpretation of what is being said movie dialogue.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Nikita70 wrote:I’ve read very mixed reviews of the Blu-ray set. I wish some company would release a domestic US set then we wouldn’t have to worry about speed ups for conversion from PAL or NTSC or whatever they call it these days. Such a shame really. One of the best shows of the 80’s (of all time for me). Yet plenty of other shows not nearly as highly regarded make it to Blu-ray.
Have you thought about just ripping the DVDs onto your computer and embedding subtitles into the files? A quick search online shows that there are several sources for Magnum subtitles. No idea how good they are, however! I've spent a lot of time in Asia, and I know the distracting hilarity of reading a non-native English speaker's interpretation of what is being said movie dialogue.
Now that I've written that, I seem to be remembering someone posting in the forum years ago, who was writing subtitles...or maybe it was writing visual descriptions for the VISUALLY impaired...oh man, my memory ain't what it used to be.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#9 Post by Nikita70 »

I have thought about ripping the Blu-ray set and adding my own subs, I actually talked with a guy on another forum about this as he has done it a lot. I may eventually do this but I’m going to wait to see if we get a US release, it could happen.