"Official" Magnum Mug on Amazon

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

"Official" Magnum Mug on Amazon

#1 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Spotted this yesterday. Claims to be an Officially Licensed Product

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DJRVVJO/_e ... B3H6ELUOOJ

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re: "Official" Magnum Mug on Amazon

#2 Post by Hawaii Winds »

ThomasMagnum wrote:Spotted this yesterday. Claims to be an Officially Licensed Product

Now unavailable!!!!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#3 Post by MHTR »

Spotted this yesterday. Claims to be an Officially Licensed Product
Looks like it. On the side of the mug you can see it has a Universal copyright notice.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#4 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Hawaii Winds wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:Spotted this yesterday. Claims to be an Officially Licensed Product

Now unavailable!!!!
back in stock!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I wonder who would actually want that mug. I think it sucks. It's like they're saying a (blank) baseball hat, sunglasses and a moustache are what represents Magnum P.I., not the characters or actors. It would be different if they had a photo of Tom Selleck as Magnum or a group photo. It also seems like a cheap way to get around paying royalties for using actors' photos.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Reef monkey »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I wonder who would actually want that mug. I think it sucks. It's like they're saying a (blank) baseball hat, sunglasses and a moustache are what represents Magnum P.I., not the characters or actors. It would be different if they had a photo of Tom Selleck as Magnum or a group photo. It also seems like a cheap way to get around paying royalties for using actors' photos.
Yeah, I agree, it's ugly. Even if they wanted to go minimalist, it would have looked better with the yellow "Magnum, pi" title card letters on one side, and the Cross of St. Lorraine on the other side. The blank hat, sunglassess, and especially mustache remind me too much of those stupid mustache stickers that were poplular with hipsters and consequently everywhere a few years back
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#7 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I wonder who would actually want that mug. I think it sucks. It's like they're saying a (blank) baseball hat, sunglasses and a moustache are what represents Magnum P.I., not the characters or actors. It would be different if they had a photo of Tom Selleck as Magnum or a group photo. It also seems like a cheap way to get around paying royalties for using actors' photos.
I do agree, I just think it's quite unusual for a MPI item to be "officially licensed". I did buy one of these however. Looks great in my office :magnum:

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

ThomasMagnum wrote:I did buy one of these however. Looks great in my office :magnum:
I would buy one of those. In fact, maybe I will.

Ah, crap! "Does not ship to Canada". Damn it.

One thing that Americans don't know is that Amazon is absolute shite in Canada. Everything is at least double the price, even accounting for exchange rates - and while Americans get free 2-day or overnight shipping all over the US, we Canadians have to pay outrageous shipping rates and it takes 5-8 days at the earliest (but can take much longer). I've seen listings in the US for $19 with free overnight shipping, while in Canada, the exact same item is $65 with $16 8-day shipping. Sometimes, after 3 weeks, Amazon abruptly cancels the shipment and says it is unavailable. I've actually waited 4 months for a shipment once (Hawaii 5-0 DVD set) before Amazon said it wasn't available and couldn't be ordered.
Last edited by Mad Kudu Buck on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#9 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
ThomasMagnum wrote:I did buy one of these however. Looks great in my office :magnum:
I would buy one of those. In fact, maybe I will.

Ah, crap! "Does not ship to Canada". Damn it.

One thing that Americans don't know is that Amazon is absolute shite in Canada. Everything is at least double the price, even accounting for exchange rates - and while Americans get free 2-day or overnight shipping all over the US, we Canadians have to pay outrageous shipping rates and it takes 2-3 weeks at the earliest. I've seen listings in the US for $19 with free overnight shipping, while in Canada, the exact same item is $65 with $19 8-day shipping. Sometimes, after 3 weeks, Amazon abruptly cancels the shipment and says it is unavailable. I've actually waited 6 months for a shipment once (Hawaii 5-0 DVD set) before Amazon said it wasn't available and couldn't be ordered.
eBay to the rescue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnum-PI-Fera ... xyV85R5Ndi

knight8882
Lieutenant

#10 Post by knight8882 »

ThomasMagnum wrote:I do agree, I just think it's quite unusual for a MPI item to be "officially licensed". I did buy one of these however. Looks great in my office :magnum:
Awesome! I'm definitely buying one of these for my office as well, and any others that are available from my other favorite shows while I'm at it. Thanks for the link!
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.